Opinel new lock ring - bad design

Ok, we already have a thread in on the "porch". But I think it would be nice to let all knife guys to know what's going on. So I just quote the thread:

"I got my first O[pinel in 1982, and I've had what I admit to having a love/hate relationship with these knives ever since. I love how they slice and dice, and love how light they are for their size. I admit to being somewhat annoyed at times at how they are a needy knife with a fair amount of finagling and tinkering needed. I've had a dozen of them in various sizes, and gifted them off to people who needed a good knife, as I have gifted off dozens of Victorinox classics. I always keep an Opinel in the kitchen drawer for when I need a really really sharp knife, as well as one in the workshop out back.

But…and I mean BUT in caps, I think I may be over them. It looks like they have changed/tweeked the design that didn't need any tweaking, and not for the better. They added a divot to the locking ring that lines up to a stamped/milled groove in the inner bolster that severely limits the travel of the outer locking ring. This means that the old trick of filing the top edge of the locking ring so it turns further around for a more secure lock, is negated. Done. Now impossible unless you now file down the protruding nub on the locking ring.

What Opinel has done is actually sabotaging the lock, making slippage of the locking ring a real problem. I can only wonder why in Hades Opinel would weaken the design of the locking ring with this nub in a groove that limits how far the locking ring can be turned. Of course, some work with a half round file can eliminate it, but WHY?"

Along with the vid on youtube explaining the problem:

To me this is a tragedy, a good design turning bad..

What do you guys think of this?

I think they did it to make it less likely for the ring to simply pop clean off under strain. I wish that it could still be turned in either direction (which was more lefty-friendly) but I think that improving the actual strength of the lock--presuming that's what this was about--makes good sense.

I think they did it to make it less likely for the ring to simply pop clean off under strain. I wish that it could still be turned in either direction (which was more lefty-friendly) but I think that improving the actual strength of the lock--presuming that's what this was about--makes good sense.
Though based on the video provided, it takes very little negative pressure to close. Not sure that counts as "improving the actual strength."

Though based on the video provided, it takes very little negative pressure to close. Not sure that counts as "improving the actual strength."

I suspect he didn't fully engage the lock. The Virobloc lock was never a very strong mechanism but it definitely takes more force than what he used to strongarm the lock. With old ones you'd fairly easily pop the ring clean off, whereas now it actually digs into the supporting wooden "shelf" instead. You can still overcome the lock, but it takes more than the almost laughably small amount that used to blow through it.

Aside from filing, drilling out, or punching the new protrusion flat, you could also pop out the pin, remove the inner collar, and file the channel longer, giving you more rotation of the outer ring. That would entail putting in a new pin, but you can use just about anything: brass or steel rod, an appropriate sized nail, whatever. I'm going to have to pick up a new Opi and see how it works in the "flesh," before deciding if any action is needed. Thanks for the heads up, 353. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 353
I never thought I'd say this about FortyTwoBlades, but I think a little fan opinion is going on. :( This change is NOT good or even acceptable IMO. :thumbsdown:

I'd like to get one to test out, but the reality in my mind is that if you were relying on the opinel lock to act like any of the high strength locks, you might have gone wrong. I've never seen it as a lock, more a blade hold-open.
Katanas, do you have one of the new ones, or are you just going on what was in the vid?

No tears here. Currently have a couple of carbon 9's and a stainless 12. The 9's were always appealing and useful on some levels, but also slightly flimsy and weak overall. The 12 well, I bought it out of novelty if nothing else. Their basic appeal to me was similar to that of a Mora. They are cheap, light weight knives, that perform to a certain level and I don't sweat about losing or breaking them. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'm more than done with them now.

As I said in the other thread:

"Hope they go back on this, and not let "pride" ruin a good traditional design.

I would also like to add one more thing.

On my opinel I always lock it in open position by turning the ring the opposite way from the closed knife position. It locks open stronger this way because the lock ring is wider on that side(not having the cutout for locking the knife closed) so it takes more to bend it when you get spine pressure on the blade, if that makes any sense..

The new design makes it impossible to turn the ring this way."

Aside from filing, drilling out, or punching the new protrusion flat, you could also pop out the pin, remove the inner collar, and file the channel longer, giving you more rotation of the outer ring. That would entail putting in a new pin, but you can use just about anything: brass or steel rod, an appropriate sized nail, whatever. I'm going to have to pick up a new Opi and see how it works in the "flesh," before deciding if any action is needed. Thanks for the heads up, 353. :thumbsup:

Yo guy, you can't be serious! You're going to actually buy the discussed knife first to see if it is an issue before passing judgement!?

No dog, that's not how we do things, you should be overreacting sight unseen.

Adding some more facts from the other thread:

This is the response from factory on the subject:

"These new rings boast a wide range of benefits: → The rotation of the rotating lock ring is smoother and more reliable → Better rotation guide→Ejection-proof system when closed blocking the blade is now only possible from one side.

The stop frees the groove to fold the blade intuitively, without needing to look at the knife.→Consistent workmanship qualityOur new rings are entirely produced in our factory in Chambéry, using top of the range machinery developed specifically for Opinel® and manufactured in France.

This guarantees a higher production rate and better cutting and shaping quality. This new equipment demonstrates our commitment to continuous investment in modernising and improving our industrial facilities in Chambéry, as was also the case with our 1500-m² extension in 2015.

We are confident that this new ring generation, which has also been patented, will meet the expectations of all our Opinel® enthusiasts and have a career as prestigious as the one created in 1955. These new rings will be available from February 2016 on the following No. 07 models: stainless steel and carbon traditional knives, My first Opinel®, No. 07 Outdoor Junior. It will then be gradually available over the next two years on all knife sizes."

IMO not good news, looks like pride stands in the way of utility..

I'm almost always cutting forward so I probably wouldn't have a problem with it, but I know nobody likes when a classic is changed for no reason.

It's like when they changed hot pockets crust or that new Coke.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd say this about FortyTwoBlades, but I think a little fan opinion is going on. :( This change is NOT good or even acceptable IMO. :thumbsdown:

P'shaw. I think perhaps you're letting matters of taste or familiarity get the better of you. I actually specifically stated that I wish that they were still able to be shifted in the opposite direction, but that I think that any improvements to the security of the lock were welcome ones. If it increases resistance to the ring popping clean off, then I see it as ultimately advantageous despite the drawback of the reduced range of motion of the ring. However, I think there's no structural reason why they couldn't have made the track longer to keep the range of motion the same as before, and so I do view that as a missed opportunity. For an Opinel-like knife with a much better (in my opinion) locking system, I rather like the Antonini Old Bear knives. There's no way for the lock on those to pop off like the Virobloc ring.

Don't have the new locking type.
If indeed it has locking faults,
I would stay clear.
What the video shows is utterly damming.
But I doubt I would be needing a new opinel soon,
As the old ones I have
still some years of service, I reckon.
The locks on 'em were pretty solid.
Knock wood !

opinels are throwaway consumables. It’s like arguing over toothpicks or toilet paper.

Well, I have been so damned impressed with my no 6 in carbon(for EDC) that it has not left my pocket for two weeks now, I would hate to see the design go south..

The thin(just over 1mm) convecs ground blade slices like the devil. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
For my birthday this year I asked for Opinel. I got a #6 with the track on the inner ring but with the old locking ring, one of the hybrids which came out during the switchover, and a completely new design #8.

I don't like it for the reason given. I always sanded the top of my ring to give a much for gradual transition into the lock open position. This gives a better metal on metal bite, more friction, and a much more secure lock. The new knife locks open ok, but there is not much more rotation available to do this mod. The lock open position can vibrate loose more easily with use. You have to pay attention to make sure it hasn't done so.

Question, as to the ring popping off. Are we talking about it doing so when forced open, or being forced shut?

IMHO, part of the reason for this was to keep the ring from "riding up" when you lock the knife closed. The pivot pin's peening riding in the groove formed in the ring used to do this. Whenever I've completely dis-assembled the knife I've not been able to get that peening just right and the ring rode up on closure. I was starting to see that peen not be "just right" from the factory more often. So, is it for ease of manufacture?

As far as the statement from Opinel. Guys, I love Opinel, I have 8-9 of them, but it sounds like a politician wrote that statement.

Adding some more facts from the other thread:

This is the response from factory on the subject:

"These new rings boast a wide range of benefits: → The rotation of the rotating lock ring is smoother and more reliable → Better rotation guide Is this the "riding up" fix? →Ejection-proof system when closed blocking the blade is now only possible from one side. Wut?

The stop frees the groove to fold the blade intuitively, without needing to look at the knife. Huh?→Consistent workmanship qualityOur new rings are entirely produced in our factory in Chambéry, using top of the range machinery developed specifically for Opinel® and manufactured in France.

This guarantees a higher production rate Ease of manufacture? and better cutting and shaping quality. This new equipment demonstrates our commitment to continuous investment in modernising and improving our industrial facilities in Chambéry, as was also the case with our 1500-m² extension in 2015.

We are confident that this new ring generation, which has also been patented, will meet the expectations of all our Opinel® enthusiasts and have a career as prestigious as the one created in 1955. These new rings will be available from February 2016 on the following No. 07 models: stainless steel and carbon traditional knives, My first Opinel®, No. 07 Outdoor Junior. It will then be gradually available over the next two years on all knife sizes."

I still luv ya Opi. But I'm glad I've got a few old ones. Wish I'd gotten a #9 or a #10 like I had always meant to now.

Reactions: 353
Well, I just ordered 3 more of my favourite size, so I'm set for the new, stupid, changeover. Why change a perfectly good design from 1955.

Must be a leaderboard decision and someone powerfull within Opinel since no one can stop this idiotic madness. Someone has theire pride in this for sure...

Last edited:
Back