Opinel No.7 Carbone ~ Maybe the best $10.00 Knife on the Planet ~ You Decide....

:eek: I happened to be at a "Chick" store with SWMBO when lo and behold , Man Stuff...French pocket knives in blister packs, reduced twice...Out the door with four of them for around ten bucks each. Upon opening the package , pulling the blade out and twisting the barrel lock I envisioned myself on a little blanket, beret askew , uncorking (unscrewing) some two buck chuck and throwing the lid off the cheeze whiz nonchalantly over my shoulder....Cough...Cough...:jerkit: To the review.... Da Da Da Dah Razzz..She wore a raspberry beret...the kind ya find...

Now normally for me to consider it a true "Pocket Knife" it has to have a few things, #1 and most important, it fits in your "Pocket" DOH! a tip up oriented clip, the other is some form of assisted opening. The little No.7 Opinel out of the package had one of three, it fit in my pocket...Still, I DID like the way it locked up and the way it felt in the hand, "Substantial" for lack of a better term but very light for a knife this size, at 1.3 Oz. very light indeed

Here is the Carbon Steel "Carbone" No.7 in the unaltered form

Specifications:

Handle: Beech
Blade: Carbon Steel
Size open: 7. 1/16"
Blade:
3 3/16"
Weight: 1.3 oz

Opinel-knives-No-7-carbon-steel-folding-knife-5.jpg

The weight, or lack thereof, is one of the first things you notice when you hold the blade. I was surprised to learn the knife weighs a scant 1.3 Oz. As a comparison, its a little over six quarters.

The other feature that is immediately evident is the exceptional tactile feedback you get from the handle. I have large hands, the grip on this little knife is "Hand filling" for sure and shaped right for hacking or delicate toe surgery, I cant imagine anyone having control issues with it during any type of use.

I would not pause nor hesitate to dress and butcher a VERY large game animal with just this knife. The blade is thin enough to be slightly flexible but not filet knife whippy. Seems to be just right for peeling an apple or impromptu use as a letter opener , the duties for which it was called upon to perform today.It was sharp out of the package but would not shave. A couple of strokes with a fine diamond hone had it shaving the back of my hand in about 2 minutes. I was careful not change the blades full scandi angle, simply marked it out a little with a black sharpie and adjusted my hone until an almost even pass was taken across the major entire bevel, it is a "Full Scandi Grind" right from the factory!

The modest clip point gives you lots of cutting surface, from the delicate to aggressive, a portion of this blade will make itself available for the task.

It would make an EXCELLENT Deer Skinner, I like the idea of having two very sharp ones in my pack in addition to my sheath knife. One dulls, simply twist the other one open and proceed while your non "Knifey" buddy ruins the edge on #1 with a file and dremel tool (Battey Operated of course) ....I digress...

I was very pleasantly surprised to find this blade grind on an inexpensive production knife. Its done very very well and simply works on this little folder.I am sure it was done by some Frenchman, again , by hand ...

Surprising given the very reasonable price, it seems that the price goes down even more when you buy them a dozen at the time! At that level of purchase they go to less than $7.00 each! I see bulk purchase as an option now that I own one. Far better than I had imagined before using one, they would make awesome gifts.. The knife IS a real little utility "Cutter". I tested it on exactly 50 strips of some 1//8" cardboard 24" long, it cut effortlessly for nearly all passes. At the end, the blade would no longer shave but two strokes per side on a ceramic steel had it popping hairs again. The method of edge testing is decidedly Non-Scientific but "Real-World" enough for most..

I am not sure of the RC hardness of the steel but it seems to be a great compromise between sharpen-ability and edge holding, it is marketed as a "Carbon Steel" blade but the content seems relatively low, somewhere between an Old Hickory kitchen knife and a Rapala filet knife. I did not perform a "Rust" test but may give it a go tomorrow. I may rust and "Bend to destruction" test a new one out of the package tomorrow for a YouTube video.

Preliminary handling and usage had me liking the blade enough to "make it mine" and modify it for my EDC rotation. I added a pocket clip out of my assorted "Goodie Box" then bored & lined a hole in the butt for a little sleeve of carbon fiber that will allow me a lanyard. All in all, the little enhancements took about 30 minutes not counting the epoxy drying.

Here is the Lined Lanyard hole...

Opinel6.jpg

A little pocket clip oriented for "Tip-Up" carry

Opinel5.jpg

Opinel Carbone No.7 Setup for pocket carry
Opinel3.jpg

The Black Widow Stencil makes it really "Scary" huh? Students who are paying strict attention will have seen my "Signature" on the "Beta" model above. Man! Shes a real "Peach" :peach: now!!

Another Left & Right photo "After"

Opinel2.jpg

Opinel1.jpg

Conclusion:

After using the little No.7 for a week I have come to really like it! This would be an awesome knife for the glove box in each of your vehicles, and "Extra" in your hunting or fishing kit. A couple of them in the "Camp Kitchen" would really please the guy who draws potato peeling duty or needs a decent paring/boning knife among the 11" Buck Knives and Boot Daggers :D in the Rambo , Tacti-Cool , internet commando deer hunting crowd...There's always one in the bunch.....

Having seen these little Opinels here and there for as long as I have had an interest in Knives I am very glad I bought a few. I could have easily missed out on a very pleasurable knife for a great price!! IMHO, they are easily worth two times the going price.

Naysayers...? I agree, No, they aren't the fastest opening but the DO lock up solidly in both the open and closed position should you desire it to do so. The "Cammed" barrel functions smoothly without slop or lateral play. It feels great in your hand, cuts like a house on fire, stays sharp through minor torture, very very lightweight, nice looking, "Non-Threatening" appearance for those who have to worry about that sort of thing...The Opinel management are Obvious fans of the K.I.S.S. principle , it simply works and works well. As a matter of fact, I cant remember them changing at all for all the years I have ignored them....

I would have to say that it is the largest pocket EDC that I generally carry and the one you are least likely to notice in your pocket! I have some smaller EDC knives that are so heavy they drag your pants down when you walk! I know you know what I am talking about!! At 1.3 Oz. I found myself patting my front pocket down to make sure it was still there! Sharpening is easy and fast, the factory bevel seems to work for the blade size and thickness. I did not measure it but it has held up well to moderate use without the need for any real re-sharpening at all. A couple of very very light strokes when you think about on the ceramic steel brings it right back to shaving sharp. Buy one, heck, take two, they are cheap...Correction...Inexpensive....Given all the plus's of having a "Big Knife" in your pocket with no weight consequence for doing so is valuable, most times, as with guns, knives and stock car engines...All things considered, bigger is better..Most of time....

Come to think of it...I am going to head on over to Amazon and see what other sizes of this little French "Bread & Cheese" knife are available....I want one a little smaller and two a whole lot BIGGER :)

I wonder how some carbon fiber replacement scales would look on it...Maybe a Damascus blade with Ebony handles?....God I love this hobby...Bon Appetite.:thumbup:

Jerry

Last edited:
A man who knows about Trader Joe's and likes Opinels is OK in my book.

A well written and lighthearted, review.

THANKS!

Damn fine review. Had one of these many years ago myself. Think I will pick up another one now!
Cheers...

I´m a fan of OPINEL too.
My only drawback is that blade can stuck if handel get wet.
My grail OPINLE should be carbon nº9 with unfinised micarta handel for DIY porject.

The funny thing is that the larger you go with the Opinels the better they ride in a pocket (in my experience) since they aren't able to tip over in your pocket as easily.

Deleted for posting sale on Opinel, I was notified it was "Deal Spotting" on Peas & Corn website

Last edited:
Might want to take down the link, though. Deal spotting rules and what have you. ;)

I love my Opinel , IMO a knife collection is not complete without at least one of these lightwieght gems... I have modified mine to my liking as well.

Cool review.

Tostig

Now if they'd only use a decent steel. Every Opinel I've had, incuding my current number 7 goes dull in a half a dozen cuts. Great geometry, lousy steel.

Now if they'd only use a decent steel. Every Opinel I've had, incuding my current number 7 goes dull in a half a dozen cuts. Great geometry, lousy steel.

That's odd. My Opinel knives hold their edge quite well. Do know what you want to use it for. If you want to carve wood or cut a lot of cardboard, you better get another knife. The slim profile just screams for light duty that benefits from a FFG blade such as food prep and maybe opening envelopes. I use my Opinel knives almost exclusively for food prep (and previously mentioned light chores) en they do that job véry well and don't dull out easily in such jobs.
Don't expect a $10 knife to perform like a Strider. Then again, I wouldn't use a Strider for food prep either. To each knife it's chore(s).

While writing down this post, I'm amazed at how I use different knives for different tasks, even within a certain domain. For example, I'd rather prep food such as vegetables and fruit with a blade that is broader (and FFG) such as a Delica whereas making a sandwich or cutting meat is more of a job for one of my Opinel knvies. Hmmm :confused:

@ the OP: great review and I really like your mods!

Actually I use mine like a folding Mora--lots of wood shaping work. Also cutting hay bale twine, which isn't the easiest stuff on an edge. My Opinel No.8 always does just dandy, without any significant dulling or deformation. :confused: I guess mine must have a bad heat treatment. :p

This is my favorite one of the knife, I was on the 9th, carbon steel, beautiful.. I often watch TV when you touch her.

Hi,
If you want to see what custom opinels look like, check Opiwan's, he's talented and a really nice guy : http://creations-opiwan.blogspot.com/

Oh, there are some real sweet customs! Didn't know the site. Merci!

Love my Opinels too. The carbon ones do rust on me (especially at the pivot point where it's hard to clean/dry). And blade can get stuck when wood is wet. And no one hand opening either.
But it's really amazing how they cut, thanks to the FFG scandi. Great for food prep and great as EDC. And for the more neglecting people they got them in stainless as well.

The No.9 is my favorite size for EDC (customized it to a droppoint).
I don't know any other folding knife that's real FFG (all the other folders I can think of have a small secondary bevel). So if you know some, tell me ;)

For the money and overall performance i say it is, i got a #8 and love it. nice thread

while I have an Opinel 8, I prefer the 10 or 12 since I have big hands and carpal tunnel syndrome--and it works fine as a knife to take boxes apart since it is easy to sharpen-- and with practice, it is easy to open and close and handle the lock, and the fact that how to lock the knife isn't obvious is an advantage

I love em.
I soak the handle joint down in oil for a week, it prevents the moisture problems.

Back