Opinion: Best sub $300 2-3" blades of the decade

I don't have many thoughts, as I'm more of a novice collector of junk. But, I'm fascinated by the 2-3" folder/flipper. If you have an opinion, post your top 5 of the decade in order, and if you feel like it, some reasoning. You could even break it down in to sub $100 top 5 and $100-200 top 5-Or by locking style, whatever-- I'm just curious what the best of the 2010s has brought us.

Only stipulation is it has to be a folder with a blade between 2-3"

The Paramilitary 2 in M4 period.
You said blade and lock.
Sure it's over 3 inches. Get it shortened if you like. I do that to some of my knives.
IMG_4683.JPG

if you feel like it, some reasoning.
  • The tip is perfection for the work I do.
  • The spine isn't overly thick.
  • The edge geometry was perfect for the steel alloy from the factory (no reprofiling needed and no thinning behind the edge needed).
  • The M4 alloy is to die for FOR EDGE HOLDING and for resharpening ease (not that the latter is any real problem with any other knives but it is surprisingly easy with M4).
  • The lock is super fun and effective in use.
  • The pocket clip is perfect.
  • And the icing on the cake is I just love the weird space alien G-10 green handle.

Nah nothing else even comes close including my CRK but the CRK is head and shoulders above the Para2 is other ways. It should be for three times the price and you do get what you pay for in a CRK.

It is just that I'm addicted to M4 tool steel and weird green G-10 you see.

Para 3 is sub-3" in M4. I'm not up on the para details. Anything else different between it and the para 2?
Shorter handle. I'm a longer handle is better kind of knife user even if it has a short blade.
I'm sure lots of people here love the Para 3. I've never held one.
So call me prejudice.

The Paramilitary 2 in M4 period.
You said blade and lock.
Sure it's over 3 inches. Get it shortened if you like. I do that to some of my knives.
View attachment 1257432

• The tip is perfection for the work I do.
  • The spine isn't overly thick.
  • The edge geometry was perfect for the steel alloy from the factory (no reprofiling needed and no thinning behind the edge needed).
  • The M4 alloy is to die for FOR EDGE HOLDING and for resharpening ease (not that the latter is any real problem with any other knives but it is surprisingly easy with M4).
  • The lock is super fun and effective in use.
  • The pocket clip is perfect.
  • And the icing on the cake is I just love the weird space alien G-10 green handle.

Nah nothing else even comes close including my CRK but the CRK is head and shoulders above the Para2 is other ways. It should be for three times the price and you do get what you pay for in a CRK.

It is just that I'm addicted to M4 tool steel and weird green G-10 you see.

Appreciate your participation in the discussion, as always. But obviously you did not read the title. PM2 has a blade longer than 3".

EDIT: you did read the title, but came up with the clever idea of shortening the blade.

Shorter handle. I'm a longer handle is better kind of knife user even if it has a short blade.
I'm sure lots of people here love the Para 3. I've never held one.
So call me prejudice.
It's a great concept but it's a waste of steel to shorten it :p I'd just recommend the PM3. More M4 PM2s for us!

Top 5 in no particular order:
1. A small CRK Inkosi and/or Sebenza is hard to beat for a refined, bombproof folder with good edge geometry.
2. Spyderco Lil' Temp folder line. Spyderco is currently on the Lil Temp 3 and it's an amazing design. An extremely underrated folder.
3. Spyderco Native. Can be bought with multiple blade steels and handle materials. Full liners or linerless.
4. Al Mar Nomad. The Nomad is a classic Al Mar folder designed by Kirk Rexroat. Another underrated gem if you like liner locks.
5. Hmmmm … I'll be back to fill in the last spot. Not sure which fine blade to include.

I think the native 5 is absolutely fabulous. I think the Native salt is really something to love in a nearly no maintenance blade. Sharpen, rinse, enjoy. The blade steel is pretty much rust proof and holds a nice edge and sharpens really well. I don't think another folder has wow'ed me as much in use and it's the only folding blade in recent history I've had in consistent use for several years.

After that, the mini griptilian with a hollow grind and sheepsfoot. Just a great slicer as well.

1. native 5 (any variation)
  2. mini grip, sheepsfoot hollow grind
  3. as a category, modern slipjoints from lionsteel, I love the bestman
  4. S110V UKPK
I would change this if over 3" knives were allowed, but the top 2 would remain. The BM super freak would fight for 2nd place very handily.

C88SBBK2_Both.png

Spyderco Salt 2

Everyone raves about the Delica... Well, this has the same handle, is rustproof H1, weighs 2 oz. And has a titanium pocket clip.

Serrated H1 is super hard, yet tough and holds an edge forever and takes a ton of abuse.

Super easy to sharpen (which you seldom will have to do) with a sharpmaker or the edge of a regular stone.

I wear mine IWB with an aftermarket deep carry clip and it dissapears.

There's no excuse not to always carry a serrated knife, when this option exists.

Also makes a great vacation knife, that you can wear in the pool, ocean, etc without worry or even noticing it's there, clipped to your board shorts / swim trunks.

The ultimate companion blade, IMO

Way under $300 but I'm pretty fond of the little ZT 0450.

One of my favorites as well, but it's a 3.25" blade. ;)

I only own a couple modern folders that fit this thread's bill, and two of them have a permanent home in my truck: a serrated Salt 2 and a serrated Ladybug. Both great knives.

Of the ones in my collection that might wind up in my pocket on a given day, I only have one: the Kizer Feist. It's a great little knife, classy and capable but also fun to fidget with. It's such a refined design, perfectly executed and a great value for its price point -- a real joy to own.

ssreVB6.jpg

Knives of the decade..... Make that sub $200 or mostly sub $150.....
I define "Best" as something I would have no hesitation/question using as an edc.

Vic Small Tinker or Cadet
Vic Pioneer
Vic alox Electrician
Spyderco Native 5
Benchmade Mini Presidio II

I like the mini presidio, but I can't have an auto in California. I like the looks of the mini barrage, but have never held one.

I dunno why, but the only sypderco I've ever liked the feel of in my hand was the tenacious. None of the sub 3" do it it for me. Maybe I need to go out and bug the guy at the knife counter again. But, I have really big hands. Small knives have to hit my palm just right or they're a nuisance.

I like the mini presidio, but I can't have an auto in California. I like the looks of the mini barrage, but have never held one.
The Mini Presidio II is a manual knife (not assisted or auto) but can be opened on handed. The Presidio is a different knife. The Mini Barrage is assisted. I have both.

my bad, i was just looking up the specs on their website and only the auto comes up for some reason.

One of my favorites as well, but it's a 3.25" blade. ;)

I only own a couple modern folders that fit this thread's bill, and two of them have a permanent home in my truck: a serrated Salt 2 and a serrated Ladybug. Both great knives.

Of the ones in my collection that might wind up in my pocket on a given day, I only have one: the Kizer Feist. It's a great little knife, classy and capable but also fun to fidget with. It's such a refined design, perfectly executed and a great value for its price point -- a real joy to own.

ssreVB6.jpg
Sorry, I guess all my under three inch favorites would be traditional slip joints. I really like those too, especially the little peanuts.

1. Benchmade Bugout
2. Para 3 LW
3. ZT 0450cf
4. Spyderco Dragonfly2
4. Spyderco Native 5

Last edited:
Para 3 lightweight for me, hands down. I was never interested in the Para 3 until I handled the lightweight. Now I find the PM2 handle overly big-butted and the opening action seems wimpy and flaccid, compared to the Para 3. The lightweight platform just takes it over the top, it should not be this good and fun to flick open, being such a ridiculously lightweight knife.
vEmHIcs.jpg

Last edited:
Back