opinion on the best machete

Jusgt looking for thoughts...I have an ontario but the stock is so thick near the edge I just cant get it sharp ( I only have a couple of diamond plates 400, 600, 1200) that I use to maintain my knives...The tramotinas look like they might be a little thinner..and they are way cheap...

Tramontina's are good. If you send me your Ontario (and cover shipping both ways), I'll regrind that edge for you.

Riley,

I use Tramontina machetes alot. I also have a 12 inch Ontario, and a 13 inch Saico (Brazilian brand I don't know if they export) Both the Ontario and Saico are heavyweight machetes for their length and this is a very good feature for working with wood but a bad feature for clearing brush. A heavy machete bites deep in wood but also wears out your arm when doing the long sweeping, repetitive job of clearing.

The Tramontinas I have here range from 10 to 20 inches of blade length. I prefer all of them depending on the task I'm doing.

10 - 12: I use these mainly when I will be in the higher elevations climbing around rocks and boulders and it will stay on my belt. I do take the longer blades up there on occasion and always have a problem when sitting, they just get in the way. In such places I use the machete for occasional chopping (not much to chop up there) but most often to clear gound for sleeping, and yes, that involves digging.

14 - 16: These are great general use machetes. They bite deep enough into wood that they are good choppers and they have enough length to clear brush without wearing out your arm. Here in Minas Gerais they are the most sold.

14 inch Bolo Machete - Personal favorite but you have to get a sheath custom made for them. They have a great sweet spot for chopping wood and they have enough reach to make a good trail machete. The handle design is also very well thought out. This same handle design is also found on some of the broader bladed heavy machetes which are good for limbing.

18 - 20: I use these exclusively in tall grasses and places where I know I will be hacking a trail (as opposed to just clearing one). They give you the reach to cut high or low and they cut a huge swath of grass in one swipe. They are almost impossible to carry on the belt, I usually make a baldric and hang them over the shoulder or attach them to the pack. When I have to clear vacant lots I use the 18 and 20 most often.

I have heard it said that 175,000,000 Brazilians can't be wrong. Actually they are pretty good at it at times. Tramontinas aren't perfect. Keep in mind they are made to be used and used up like tires. For six dollars they are a great deal. They are the Mora of machetes. Mac

I prefer the Martindales because the distal taper of the blade yields a quicker, better cutting tool that's more alive in your hand. I've got a 23" South American style Martindale that's is my favorite blade for pruning shrubs around the house. These blades do require a bit of finishing work to bring up to top form. The wood to metal fit in the handle is typically poor, and a lot of work on a small (1 x 30 in) belt grinder was required to smooth it out.

Best style depends on the job at hand. African and southeast asian blades tend to have more weight forward than South American, because the brush they have to deal with is heavier and more woody. Consequently, you get the panga shape in Africa and the bolo from the Indonesian Archipelago. Cold Steel has the widest assortment of blade shapes and their products are of good quality.

bolo from the Indonesian Archipelago

Bolos are actually the Philippino style machete. In Indonesia machete styles differ somewhat between the islands eg. goloks in Java, parangs in Sumatra etc.

A martindale Golok is an awesome machete. Really good steel and a little thicker than a typical machete.

I have lots of machetes. The Tramontinas are my favorites. The short 12" Ontarios are fine if you grind the edge thinner. My Martindale bolo bent while using it. It is still bent. So I carry my tamontina bolo in the Martindale sheath. It is light, cheap, and great for all-around use.

Golok002.jpg

16" Tramontina is my favorite.But when I have hatchet,I take 12" Ontario or Tram cut to 13",use it as a camp knife.18" Ontario is nice tool,but too heavy.

Convex it.
Bears-machete-edge.jpg

Convexed and stripped. Micarta handle by Justin at Ranger knives.
IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Tramontina Bolo
IMG_4355.jpg

The 12" I won't mention their name.
IMG_4597.jpg

Tramontina 18" and rare 10"
IMG_5543.jpg

Tramontina 18"
IMG_0877.jpg

I have lots of machetes. The Tramontinas are my favorites. The short 12" Ontarios are fine if you grind the edge thinner. My Martindale bolo bent while using it. It is still bent. So I carry my tamontina bolo in the Martindale sheath. It is light, cheap, and great for all-around use.

And,yes,I misused my Trams,and pushed it to see how far it will go,and they never bent,broke or something.Just little work with file and they are good.Except for handles,awful.Every each of them I had to rehandle.

I got one of those wierd-looking SAS British Goloks. It is very blade heavy, but chops like crazy. Shown here above my favorite bush knife, the Scrap Yard Dog father LE.

Golok007.jpg

Most of them are Tramontinas,some modified just for fun of it.
DSC00006.jpg

Nice. Between you, me, and bearthedog, we could outfit a battalion with machetes. I like the new Condors and Cold Steels, too, but none beats the cheap Tramontinas imo. Even if you lose it or destroy it, you're only out six bucks.

Bolos are actually the Philippino style machete. In Indonesia machete styles differ somewhat between the islands eg. goloks in Java, parangs in Sumatra etc.

The bolo machete is widely used in the Indonesian Archipelago, which is a generic term that includes the Philippines; call it Southeast Asia if you prefer. The machetes used in this region are distinct from those commonly found in either Africa or South America.

I ran an eBay store for Valiant Trading Company products for two years. You can check out their traditional blades from the Indonesian Archipelago here:

http://www.valiantco.com/

Interestingly, the traditional Philippine bolo, despite the name, bears little resemblance to the more modern, fat-tipped bolo machete, which is the blade I was referring to.

Cool looks like a free for all
IMG_1089.jpg

12" ers
IMG_1108.jpg

Some real hard wood I was just chipping off smaller pieces
IMG_1059.jpg

Leatherface sheaths
IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

South American made Tramontinas and Bellota from columbia
IMG_5538.jpg

Nice. Between you, me, and bearthedog, we could outfit a battalion with machetes. I like the new Condors and Cold Steels, too, but none beats the cheap Tramontinas imo. Even if you lose it or destroy it, you're only out six bucks.

Yes,that is the point,with Tramontina you have all the fun.

Back