Opinions on Cold Steel vs CRKT, BENCHMADE, etc.

Don't see CS get much discussion here, just wondered what everyones opionions of their knives were?

Do a search. There are lots of threads on this topic.

Bottom line, Cold Steel isn't regarded highly, especially compared to the higher end production companies.

Cold Steel makes some great knives and other tools. I don't use their folders too much these days as the clips on the ones I own are all right-handed and I'm a lefty, but their Vaquero Grande, Scimitar, El Hombre (now Large Vaquero), and Voyagers have all helped me at several times. Many folks here like their Carbon V fixed blades and would even love them if better handle materials were used on the ones that currently have Kraton.

Just remember, in a comparison between Cold Steel and Benchmade, Spyderco wins every time. ;)

Just wanted to add that the leaf-style linerlocks on Cold Steel models such as the Scimitar, Night Force, and Ti-Lite feel very secure. I've never doubted the lock on my Scimitar. In liner-lock land, that's a rare feat.

I have a recon1, I didn't use it much but I like it because it's built like a tank (and takes almost as much place in my pocket :D ) so I feel confident when I use it and I know it will cut through any light stuffs very easily.
My only concern is the fine chisel edge of the cryo quenched 440A steel blade, it is so fine I try to take care not to chip it in some way when it comes to cut hard stuff with it, I mean I'm not going to use it to cut down iron telephone pits ;)

Now, most of my edc are spydercos, Native or Meerkat when in city, Fred Perrin fixed blade when it comes to outdoors :)

Cold Steel makes great stuff, oh sorry Made great stuff. They have some great blade acctualy but alot of there product line has changed alot and most of there folders are sub part compared to what we have come to love and expect from them. 420 sub quench and 440A have made them come down in alot of our minds.

I would consider most of there fixed blades but the folders are not up to snuff specially if you compare them with Benchmade knives and even CRKT is surpasing CS's present quality standards.

Originally posted by kicker98
Don't see CS get much discussion here, just wondered what everyones opionions of their knives were?

Their fixed-blade line was designed, what, maybe 10 years ago, has never been refreshed, and in my opinion is still competitive. The Carbon V fixed-blades are pretty solid. For those fixed blades that use stainless, you'll hear people choking about the stainless steel they're using, or rather the price they're asking for knives with such mediocre steel.

Folder-wise, I think the line is okay, but I think for 3"-4" blade range, generally speaking I think there's a comparably priced competitor that is a better knife.

Their fied blades are nice enough. While they don't appeal to me much, they are generally of good quality and sound design. They do seem to be priced rather high considering the materials and construction used, though.

Their folder like is not so nice. With the exception of their big 5" monster there is no Cold Steel folder of which I am aware that compares favorably to similarly priced competing products from Spyderco or Benchmade. Cold Steel used to be a source of lower priced quality folders, but I think that companies such as CRKT have taken over much of that market. Unless you require a folding sword I see little reason to purchase a CS folder. They are essentially selling hype that has been shaped into knife form.

Of course, some of their crazier stuff like the maces and battle spears are interesting as well, but of limited practical value.

Back