Opinions on Edge Pro?

shootist16

knife law moderator
Are they worth the $$$? Which version do you recommend the Apex or Pro? What are their strengths? Weaknesses?

Most of'em are pretty good. The Edge Pro Apex is my favorite by far, though. The Apex model with the whole set of stones is all that you need. It's also a good idea to order extra polishing tapes. It's a bit of a project and there's a slight learning curve, but that's somewhat true with all of them anyway. It gets blades probably as sharp as can humanly be made.
The directions are great and Ben offers whatever guidance and tips that you may need. You should have it wired after one or two attempts so your first effort should be with one of your cheapies.

I have the Apex.
Just didn't see the need for the expensive one.
If you buy the system, spring for the extra stone set.
I find that I only need to use the Edge Pro for each knife once. Then, a quick touch up on the Spyderco Sharpmaker is all that's needed.
The only time I'd have to use the Edge Pro again would be if I chipped the edge or wanted to reprofile to a different angle.
It is an awesome system and you can get all your knives ridiculously sharp. Learning to use it will take a bit of time, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes intuitive and simple. I clean the stones either with cleanser or Gojo and warm water to remove the carbon build up in the nooks and crannies. This is essential for good performance the next time you use them.
Lenny

Like A.P. and Lenny, I have the Apex too. It's good advice to spring for the extra bucks and get all the stone grits & polishing tapes. The system is actually pretty easy to learn, but as noted do some practice runs on cheapo blades first.

I use Lenny's program: use the EdgePro first to get the edge Scary Sharp, then use Sharpmaker to maintain the edge, going back to the EdgePro only for major chips or reprofiling of the edge.

The guy who runs EdgePro is real friendly on the phone & is quick to answer emails in my dealing with him.

One more vote for Edge-Pro :)
I have it more than a year now and have only positive impressions.
It gets the blade as sharp it can be, well for most of the humans anyway. Besides that, once you learn how to use it, you can sharpen eral fast compared to free hand. Also it's a big help with recurved blades, no matter, large or small.
Like others, I put the original edge with edge-pro, then for maintenance I use ceramic stick that comes with it(800 grit), also I have another one from Ben, 1000 grit. Actually for finer edges 1000 grit definitely works better. The only thing I couldn't master so far is the alignment of the black stone on the sand :) Every time I remember to align it it's too late, or I am too lazy probably. I guess that's why I bought 5 of them from the begining. 1 is gone, another one will be gone soon I guess. 3 more to go... Definitely a good idea to get a doze or two of those tapes.

P.S. The only new thing I've found during this time was that the polishing tapes are much easier to clean with an eraser in warm water.
May be I've missed that on the videotape.

It's an excellent setup. It works excelleng for regular kitchen knives and medium to large fixed blades. It can put a truly unbelivabley accurate angle on it. And sharper then you can belive.

I just have two problems, one I think it's terrible on folders and small knives. Two, the shape of the flat side of the blade can sometiems cause problems. I often wish that the edgepro somehow clamped the blade in.

I have the "Pro" model. It's fantastic and will put an awesome edge on any knife, large or small. I maintain my Sebenza's razor sharp edge, my wife's kitchen knives, etc..... It does require some technique and your abilities will increase with time. Some knives are still beyond my ability / confidence level. For instance, an expensive Brend model 2 recurve is something that I would send out instead of try myself. The only problem I've run into is a result of doing the finest job I can on my friends' and neighbors' knives. They like it and the requests start to pile up! My advice to them and to you: GET ONE !

Pete Bransky

The best way to handle knives with small or multiple flat sides is to place the knife on the table on the largest flat area. Just clamp down hard with your thumb. If that brings the edge angle out of range of the device then you might tape (blue painter's tape) a spacer (popsicle stick or whatever) to both sides of the blade wherever would bring it into range. Be sure to do so uniformly on both sides. I've had to do this for the leading edge of a tanto blade and it's no biggie.
Hopefully that made sense and I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about.

I just got the pro model about two weeks ago. My Lansky won't see the light of day again. Everything people say about the Edgepro above rings true with me. It does take some getting used to, and small multi-flat sided knives need to be held with extra care.

I've heard great things about certain grinders too. As far as machines that hold a constant angle go, I don't think you could do much better than an Edgepro.

Bruce:D

How about using a Dremel tool to sharpen a knife and then to put a mirror shine back onto the blade. Is it impossible or just too difficult for a NEWBIE?.....wolf

Personally I wouldn't suggest that [GOD] even try what you just described.., although I'm sure there are a couple of guys on here that can pull it off.

The Dremmel Tool is just not controllable enough to get the kind of results these guys do.., and intended for different usage.

I know there are guys that can do incredible stuff with them.., but for consistency...nothing beats "The Real Guys"!

I can put a pretty good edge on a knife by hand on an India Stone, but ~~> for example.., if I want the best edge possible on a Jerry Hossom knife.., I'm sending it to Jerry. He made it..End of Story.

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

I bet you'll end up burning the steel or at least messing up the tempering of the blade with a dremel. I wouldnt try it. (but then again I like my knives...)

Back