Opinions on Junglee Panda Skinning Axe?

I know that Junglee products have received mixed reviews. However, their Panda Skinning Axe seems to have some well thought out features like an ulu shaped blade, deep guthook (stomach zipper), finger grooved shaft, etc. Steel is AUS8 but hardness is not stated in the catalog I saw. Has anyone tested one of these? Are they all "show" and no "go" or do they perform pretty well?

Thanks for any opinions or experiences.

I have not used one of them, here is a shot for those interested :

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/junglee/images/k02029.gif

For that type of use I would go with this :

http://dns1.silverstar.com/turnermfg/index.html

The Junglee axe is slightly larger and heavier, and would probably out chop the Uluchet, depending on the edge geometry. However the overall quality of the Uluchet is much higher and the price is not that much greater (~$100) .

You are looking at a higher grade of steel (D2), a much more controlled heat treat process (including a cryo treatment), and a much more durable grip.
The transition between open and closed also provides a far more comfortable working grip than choking up on 1/4" of bare steel.

The ability for the tool to unfold has many benefits, besides allowing carry in otherwise impossible situations, it can also be used in the folded position without printing as much as a weapon as a full sized hatchet, let alone a large knife. I never had a negative responce to it.

As well P.J. does serious evaluationson his own products and as well provides a very high level of customer service and has a strong warrenty (one of the best in the business) so you can use the Uluchet with confidence.

-Cliff

Cliff,

I very much appreciate your carefully reasoned opinion. I participated in the earlier thread on the uluchet because I too thought that it looked like a very interesting design. The other information you provided reinforces that conclusion.

Thanks again.

Back