Opinions on Spyderco Smock!

It's ugly. The cutout/choil is atrocious.

BUT it's a fun fidget knife with passable ergos and doesn't take up much pocket space. The button-compression lock is ingenious and I hope more knives implement it. The blade cuts well until something gets caught in that cutout/choil.

Lol, so true. If you're buying from him a large degree of patience is definitely required. You need to be ready to probably have quite a few birthdays before anything happens.
Seriously that's why I don't get an original I've heard horror stories up to 2 and 3 years.

I’ve had mine 16 days and highly recommend it. Even non- Spyderco fans should like this one.

I like the idea of it but the proportions just seem off to me. Too little blade for the overall length.
This.^^^ I’ve not actually handled one but the handle looks like it’s way longer than it needs to be to house the blade. Looks like it’s 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch too long and that’s a lot in my opinion.

I just got mine in last night, and I'm enjoying it overall. I may put up a review over in that section once I've snapped a few pics of it today.

I just got mine in last night, and I'm enjoying it overall. I may put up a review over in that section once I've snapped a few pics of it today.
Hey is it an actual button lock or is it a compression lock that's released by a button?

Those titanium scales make it look way better!

I've been wondering is the weird finger choil actually a result of the blade needing to clear the button lock?

Last edited:
Those titanium scales make it look way better!

I've been wondering is the weird finger choil actually a result of the blade needing to clear the button lock?

As I mentioned in Post #16 above:

"I do not carry it and have nothing really "bad" to say about it, EXCEPT that I would have preferred it if they had radiused the finger choil in the blade so that it was more rounded, as is the case w/the SK23, but I understand why they shaped the choil the way they did (which was to avoid shortening the blade length any further than necessary while still also accommodating the space needed to clear the compression lock release button)."

Last edited:
Maybe this will help?
4Dv6wfy.jpg

Love mine. Was never a fan of laminated carbon fiber, so I fixed that with some od micarta. Button lock implementation is spot-on. Aggressive hollow grind cuts well, as does the blade shape.
How difficult is it to replace the cf? I'm looking to get a Smock but the cf turns me off a little.

Yes the odd cutout is not really a choil (I am not putting my finger there...:eek:) but accommodates the button. On compression locks with a choil ( pm3, para3) there would be no blade change to accommodate a button. Look at the bladeswelove ultra pm2.
I wondered what the heck was going on with the blade. Nope, I will take the compression lock and a FULL SIZE BLADE. To me, that blade is so jacked up I wouldn’t use it thinking it will hang up on the materials being cut.

The Smock is an odd knife. It's a Spyderco flipper with a flat spine so that's something. The flipper is really just an exposed corner, which I don't see very often. It's a button lock, but that doesn't feel quite as special now that so many Chinese companies have caught button-lock fever. While some of the Chinese knives have stickier buttons, they generally have better action. Even with upgraded bearings, my Smock is not particularly impressive in that respect.

People knock the low finger groove position but it does keep my hand off the button and I still get a full grip. People knock the choil but it seems necessary for the design and it does give you plenty of space for sharpening. The said, the cutting edge is relatively short for the overall size. Of course, other Spyderco knives have this issue too. It just feels strange here since I never use that space as a finger choil and my hand is already way down on the handle.

Frankly, I don't like the stock scales and I hate the stock clip... That brings us to a bigger issue: price. The Smock costs over $200 on its own. That already feels nuts for what this knife is. (You could get a WE Beacon or a 20CV liner lock from American Blade Works for less.) Adding in aftermarket scales, a deep-carry clip, and Skiff Bearings; it's an easy creep past $300...

Still, I somehow love mine and it stays in rotation. Here it is in a carry shot from just a few days ago...

ZI1tq5S.jpg

Back