Opinions on Takeda Classic Gyuto

I am in the market for a new mid size Gyuto
I would like to get Super Blue Steel
Came across Takeda Classic Gyuto 240mm. Does anyone have any experience with this particular knife? From what I read they are nice and thin but vary widely in shape and sometimes quality. Also knife this tall at the heel is not my thing but I am willing to give it a try. Other suggestions in Super Blue are welcome. I will use the knife for home cooking.
THX

I have used the Takeda classic gyuto and found it too big for me personally. I am sure I could get used to it though, and the wide blade surface can be quite handy scooping ingredients. It is a very unique knife with a definite large radius hollow grind toward the heel. They are quite remarkable with food release. They also feature a very wide sharpening bevel, its almost like a zero ground knife but withdthe mid portion of the bevel relieved. Hard to explain ! For less expensive option I really like the Harukaze Wa in aogami super...210mm and 240mm versions are available

I have a Takeda medium AS classic gyuto, and it's quite large, about 245 mm blade length and over 65 mm tall at the heel. It looks like a gigantic santoku almost, though there is not really a big flat spot towards the heel, mostly gently curving. I've only handled my own example, but everywhere online there's evidence of a wide variation in blade shape. Some makers cut the forged blade with a template so the profile is consistent, Takeda is one that doesn't. Note: the typical height seems to be more in the range of 55 to 58 mm. You can order a Takeda sasanoha which is not as tall, more like 47 mm, looks like more of a flat spot too but this is only from eying them online.

It's very light and the edge is very keen due to the wide zero bevel that Tim mentioned. If you watch sharpening videos by Takeda, you'll notice his intent is sharpening the wide bevel a flat zero grind, though above that is a forged concave which enhances food release as well as reducing weight. Even though the blade is light, at the 240 size the balance is still blade heavy.

The handles Takeda installs are narrow (left to right but fairly normal in height) compared to others, that may or may not be important to you, although you could always replace it with one you like better.

Depending on the particular knife you get, the Takeda geometry may wedge in tall hard product. It just feels so light and the edge angle so narrow that I usually don't use it for hard stuff like acorn squash. I haven't had issues with chippy edge on mine, though some people have reported that issue until their first sharpening and put their own edge on it whereupon it resolved.

Really cool knife but not for everybody IMHO.

Back