Opinions on the Emerson Sheepdog?

I really love the Bowie style blade on the sheepdog but I would prefer it not to be a flipper

I like Emerson knives a lot.
IMO Emerson is a stunning knife designer
However most of the time the overall quality of the manufacturing is under what you can expect for the price

Emerson does a great 154cm and this steel serve the purpose of the knives being easy to sharpen and to maintain if you want to beat the hell out of your knife :)

My main concern is that most EK I had had lock stick and one of them had a weak detent even too weak to maintain the blade in the folded position

If you can go in a shop and try the knife before buying it that is the best
Or buy from a website with a good return policy

At the moment I have a CQC7AW which I love a lot
I am considering to get a non weave version at one point and maybe to give a try to a commander or an Appalachian

I handled one and it wasn't to my taste. Between the huge flipper tab and the wave opener it was like a double pocket pecker extravaganza. Flipped fine, had the usual finest Emerson craftsmanship and materials (lol). A bit heavy. Very comfortable handle, but it felt like it would be bulky to pocket with both the size and shape of the handle and the protruding flipper adding to the pocket space requirements.

s-l225.jpg

I like the S35 Micarta version.

Probably one of the best Emersons. That said, it's still a bulky knife, very noticeable in the pocket. If you like heavy blades, then it's perfect.

Where it shines over older designs is the combo of the flipper and bearings, it flies out so smooth. The vg10 is less grippy, still like sandpaper, but slightly less aggressive than my Vindicator.

20191019_101946.jpg

20191019_102343.jpg

I don't own one, but know several people that do. They love them. I did own a kershaw/Emerson collaboration it was a very well designed knife.

Only reason I haven't gotten one is that my day to day needs have been handled just fine by either a Spyderco Chaparral LW or Rhino lately. Hard to justify dropping the cash for a knife when I could use it elsewhere. If I do pick one up I'll be getting the Spearpoint version with serrations. From there I'll be getting a knife modder to shrink the flipper tab some.

Only reason I haven't gotten one is that my day to day needs have been handled just fine by either a Spyderco Chaparral LW or Rhino lately. Hard to justify dropping the cash for a knife when I could use it elsewhere. If I do pick one up I'll be getting the Spearpoint version with serrations. From there I'll be getting a knife modder to shrink the flipper tab some.
As well as they flip, you could. I've seen one shrunk to where it fit the grips fingerguard and it was perfect IMHO.

Probably one of the best Emersons.
That said, it's still a bulky knife, very noticeable in the pocket. If you like heavy blades, then it's perfect.

Where it shines over older designs is the combo of the flipper and bearings, it flies out so smooth.
The vg10 is less grippy, still like sandpaper, but slightly less aggressive than my Vindicator.
Flat sanded my scales with some 660, much better. :thumbsup:

When I told my son about the Emerson/Kershaw, he promptly ordered a pair and gave one to me. I thought it was really cool, but in the end was the answer to a question that I wasn’t asking. I don’t have to buy any more, as my curiosity has been satisfied.

Had one about a year ago, the micarta version. I was underwhelmed and at that time I was a real Emerson fan. Very bulky, huge flipper tab. Went back to my much slimmer CQC7 before ditching Emersons completely. Weak detents, so-so workmanship but they were very unique looking knives which is what first drew me to them.

Back