Opinions on Todd Begg

BladeGoblin

Banned
Where do you think Todd stands among tactical makers?

Do you like his work, designs, blade finish, grinds?

I'm looking for educated responses, so if you haven't handled his work it might be hard to answer this.:rolleyes:

Positive and negative responses would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

I think Todd's work is among the best. His machining capabilites are outstanding. Fit and finish are all top notch. He is tremendously innovative in his designs and on top of that he is a hell of a guy.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Shane,

I gave Todd one of your Scout knives for a knife he had in his personal collection.

Are you going to be at Blade west?

BladeG. As you know, as a maker I'm not allowed to give full thoughts on another's work. Unless it is in full praise. We Knife makers have no opinion, or way to judge a makers work. Or so we are told. However In T. Begg's case, It is well deserved. the man does incredible work. Very futuristic, yet to the point of what it needs to be. I find his Artistic flair refreshing among many tactical makers. Mike

BladeGoblin said:
Where do you think Todd stands among tactical makers?

Do you like his work, designs, blade finish, grinds?

I'm looking for educated responses, so if you haven't handled his work it might be hard to answer this.:rolleyes:

Positive and negative responses would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

I'm not going there, Anthony.....If you want MY opinion, you are going to have to ask for it offline. There is no payoff, and only misery and pestilence by going down this road.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Todd Begg makes knives that a person would have to use a magnifying glass to come close to finding anything that remotely resembles a flaw.

The only knife I ever handled by Begg is the one I own, a Tailspin Bali. I love the grinds on the blade and I think the fit and finish are as good as anything I have ever handled.

Never owned one, but handled several that belonged to friends. I like the flawless craftsmanship, but they just aren't my style. They just didn't have that right "feel".

Steven,

I know your opinion of Todd's knives, however if I remember correctly, you said "his fixed blades have been growing on me lately"

I guess we'll have to settle our dispute in Portland:D that is, if you still plan on attending.

Think you can ACTUALLY make it to this show?:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I had the pleasure of handling a couple of Todd's knives at Blade. They were spectacular!! The fit & finish, everything was just amazing. I really like the looks of his knives. One of the knives I had the pleasure of handling was the Clandestine Hunter (I believe that is what it is called. My memory isn't so hot.); the balance was amazing. And I held a Glimpse that a friend had purchased. It was pure perfection. (AND it was a pleasure to meet both Todd & Tanya Begg)

Danbo said:
Todd Begg makes knives that a person would have to use a magnifying glass to come close to finding anything that remotely resembles a flaw.

magnifying glass??? try electron microscope..!!!:D

Honestly Todd and Tanya are also some of the most giving and wonderful people in this biz. I consider it an honor to know them both.

Ren

Kohai999 said:
Think you can ACTUALLY make it to this show?:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Steven - you're talking about BladeShow West? If that's the case, I should come down, if only to meet you face to face. I've got a good friend in Portland and it isn't so much of a shlep from Seattle (compared to Eugene).

Todd is a good guy, always friendly and professional at shows.

His knives, as far as I can tell, are impeccable.

The whole integral concept is one that I like and where I think a lot is still to be done. In my opinion, Todd is taking this concept in completely new directions, which is a good thing.

I'm not always impressed by some of his designs, but some of them I love (e.g., the large fighter that was posted recently). I find his folders less interesting simply because what I like are his big fixed-blade integrals.

In my opinion, it is making a dis-service to Todd to refer of his work as tactical. It goes way beyond that.

Joss said:
Steven - you're talking about BladeShow West? If that's the case, I should come down, if only to meet you face to face. I've got a good friend in Portland and it isn't so much of a shlep from Seattle (compared to Eugene).

Yeah, Joss, BladeShow West.

I have a table there, you SHOULD come down, I will have some nice forged knives for you to look at, and I would like to meet you. I hear that the hotel is a dump though, so leave the high expectations at home.:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

To show me the human side of collecting... I ran into them and their passle of kids so many years ago at the show in Eugene when I picked up my first stag piece. I met and purchased from three makers that day, and while all of them were wonderful to talk to, and to keep in touch with, I have to say that the Beggs go beyond Todd's work - they interact with the client in a manner that makes ya wanna go back for more... And I did! I look forward to seeing them at any show we both attend. And I always like seeing what Todd has come up with each time I see them... As to his workmanship, well, everybody else has already commented on that! :D

Joss said:
I find his folders less interesting

Have you seen his Megaladon folder? I just handled it yesterday and was completely blown away, it is a jawdropper (and I don't really care for folders in general)

It should be showing up on Knifeart within a few days.

Back