Optimum Micro bevel

Is there an optimum angle for a micro bevel?

I've been setting mine from 3° to 7° over the sharpening angle higher for rougher usage. But is there an optimum?

Anyone done any cutting tests of various microbevels? What were the findings? In general.

For most, the final micro-bevel is 'optimized' for strengthening the cutting edge for an intended cutting task.

Most of my folders start with 10 degree main bevels, for a beginning included angle of 20 degrees. This is fine for for slicing soft materials, but the edge will not survive cutting harder materials - softer steel edges will roll and harder steel edges may chip out.

For my own testing, I use a hardwood rake handle as testing media, since that's the hardest material I'm likely to cut with a folder. If the edge survives two high-pressure pointings without edge damage, I consider it sufficient.

For steels such as S30V, VG10 or BG42, micro-bevels of 5 degrees each bevel (final included edge bevel of 30 degrees) are sufficient. My 440V Military blade passes with 2 - 3 degrees per microbevel (final included angle of 24 - 26 degrees).

Hope this helps!

In terms of sharpening efficiency, you just need 1-2 degrees to get very strong benefits. Above this angle you are increasing strength.

-Cliff

Back