Orange handles

Jeff or Mike will you offer any RC knives with orange handles?

Thanks Jeff or Mike

Bryan

Yep Orange handles on a real suvival knife that is the way to go.
It sure is easyer to see if you lose it too.

Take all

Bryan

We're considering it. We would like to use orange Micarta but the color fades over time. Orange G10 won't fade but it's not as good as Micarta on this type of knife, IMO.

Micarta is far better when it comes to gripping in damp conditions. At least that's been my experience.

Has there been any serious consideration for selling the handles/slabs separate from the knife? Seems like there was some discussion about this but I cannot recall the outcome if there was one.

I want some black/orange micarta myself.

We talked about it but decided against it since we match handle slabs to the blades during production. That's the reason our handles fit so good. We do this because the laser will vary slightly when doing the profile and if we sold separate handles then there could possibly be some minor mis-match and that's not good enough for us.

We'll get an orange handled knife out there before too long. Mike and I want to do some testing on Orange micarta to see how much it fades in the sun. If it's too bad then we'll go to the G10.

The answer might be in either molding in or cutting in some surface texture on orange G-10.

My thoughts are that G-10 is rather brittle, especially when frozen, for a hard use field knife slab sides that might see batoning impacts and is better suited to pocket knives and smaller fixed blade scales.

Make a long blaze orange lanyard for large knives if you must "see" them when dropped.

The answer might be in either molding in or cutting in some surface texture on orange G-10.

My thoughts are that G-10 is rather brittle, especially when frozen, for a hard use field knife slab sides that might see batoning impacts and is better suited to pocket knives and smaller fixed blade scales.

Make a long blaze orange lanyard for large knives if you must "see" them when dropped.

I thought this was the case with G10 also, but after seeing the abuse that a Busse FFBM received by a small sledge hammer directly to the G10 slabs there was no cracking whatsoever. The only damage received was when the metal rivets holding the slabs on broke, and it took a hell of a lot to do that. You can check it out at knifetests.com.:thumbup:

I say go with G10 if the micarta testing doesn't turn out the results you want. You can groove the slabs however need be to improve the grip. Whatever the result I will buy and orange handled RAT when they become a reality.:D

G10 has better heat and cold charactistics than micarta. I have never heard of G10 being brittle when frozen. Any data to back up those statements??

I have heard G10 is pretty near indestructable, but it is pretty slick.
Micarta may fade a bit over time but I think any difference would be negligable.

We talked about it but decided against it since we match handle slabs to the blades during production. That's the reason our handles fit so good. We do this because the laser will vary slightly when doing the profile and if we sold separate handles then there could possibly be some minor mis-match and that's not good enough for us.

We'll get an orange handled knife out there before too long. Mike and I want to do some testing on Orange micarta to see how much it fades in the sun. If it's too bad then we'll go to the G10.

yes, i'd not want to buy an extra pair of slabs only to have them not fit 100%.

if it's feasible, i'd like to see short runs of different colors/materials/features. you don't have to continuously make them, but have them available every so often. maybe we can even vote on the website or something on what the next color is.

whatever way you guys decide to do it, we'd all love to see new stuff!

There is Orange G-10 with the pattern on it already. Places like Masecraft sell Peel off Hunter Orange in medium, coarse grip. The peel off refers to there being a liner on the grip side (I assume to keep it clean). With this there is no slick grip!

G10 has better heat and cold charactistics than micarta. I have never heard of G10 being brittle when frozen. Any data to back up those statements??

My data is anecdotal from dropping a BM 806D2 while ice fishing in North Dakota and cracking a G-10 scale on the ice. The knife had been laying on the ice on the side that cracked for about four hours before I fumbled it and wrecked the scale. Maybe that wouldn't have happened with a thicker cross section, but I wasn't impressed by G-10's brittleness that day.

Back