Ordered a Cold Steel for it's uniqueness (Chaos Kukri)...

zuluninja, that may be fun, but the Kopis or the Falcata were not short weapons and the partial guard was to deflect blades (I'm sure you are aware of that); the purpose of the trench knife was partly to "punch" the adversary with brass knukles. :eek: Still, it would be interesting to see what you come up with; perhaps a new and worthy idea. :cool:
well, I wasn't planning on parrying/trench fighting anytime soon, I'll do it just to change the look of it ;) that guard looks asymmetrical to mine eyes.

I had ordered the Cold Steel Chaos Kukri on Thursday, and received it today, (Saturday). I was expecting it to arrive this coming Monday, so it was a pleasant surprise for me :)

The handle to blade fit seems to be totally rock solid. The matte black finish is absolutely evenly done and blemish free. Also, it seems that the handle and blade are finished with the same coating... and again, it's very nicely done.
All grinds are even and well executed on both sides. I can't find any fault in either the sheath or the knife's build quality. Actually, the sheath itself is quite the apparatus!
I can see why this knife's practicality may be questioned, but as for the final execution of the Chaos Kukri's build quality... it was accomplished well. Two thumbs up for Cold Steel's effort on this package :)
I hesitated for quite some time on buying this knife, although it's unique styling had been calling out to me in recent months. Usually, when one snoozes, one loses. But, in this case, my hesitation wound up being in my favor. Why? Because I got in on a fantastic deal to purchase it. The price I paid was an absolutely ridiculous bargain! As Hannibal would say on the A-Team tv series... "I love it when a plan comes together!"... lol! ;)

With it's SK-5 carbon steel blade being 4.5mm thick, one would think it would be a bit too thin for a Kukri blade of this size. But, in hand, it does not look or feel that way at all. I think it manages to do this by not being a full flat grind, (which would have removed more steel from the blade). I would say that it's grind is somewhere in the middle of being a high flat grind and that of a saber grind. In my opinion, the grind does not start near enough to the spine to be considered a true high flat grind, but starts too high to be considered a typical saber grind, (which is usually started at the halfway point or less from the cutting edge). I would likely call this a high saber grind, (it being in between a high flat grind and the typical saber grind). It definitely leaves some meat (steel) up there when approaching the spine area. It's not anything like the kind of thin blade one usually finds on an average Latin style machete. Nope, no quarter inch thick, (or more), on this knife, but the blade still looks and feels substantial in hand.
The one piece knuckle guard handle is not too thick upon grasping it, although it obviously seems very beefy when looking at it. Where the hand/fingers wrap around the handle, it does not feel like too much girth, (even for my smallish hands). The knuckle protecting area does seem a bit on the bulky appearance side of things... But, I do understand that to get any protection from the cast 6061 aluminum material being used, there had to be some thickness placed into this area to achieve it.
The pommel's pyramid/acorn "skull crusher" is listed as being made of 1055 carbon steel. Being that it is placed there to be used for impact purposes, it makes sense that they used 1055, which is a commonly used steel for such things as hammers. Even this little pommel piece is well fit & finished, blending right in with the overall look of this knife. And while on the subject of it's look/appearance, it is obviously not a bushcrafting item. It's appearance and the marketing of it from the Cold Steel company itself, places it as a type of tactical/combat knife. Again, it's practically may legitimately be questioned, but not what the manufacturer's intention was when designing it. From some reviews I have read, (and there are not a whole lot of them out there), the consensus seems to be that it's buyers have been mostly happy with this model's overall build quality, and with this knife's outdoors use. So, while this item was designed as a tactical/combat utility/weapon, it seems to have found some use in more realistic situations, (like in back yards and camps), and... as a "cool factor" collectible.

It will certainly add quite a bit of "cool factor" to my mostly bland collection :)

16gzcck.jpg

1zbxvn7.jpg

ny645d.jpg

Last edited:
Not as unique, but I essentially bought a CRKT Otanashi Noh Ken for the same reasons, it's not a great steel, it's on plastic washers, it's black and tacticool and really large. But I thought it was cool and wanted it, so I bought it.

The knuckle guard is ridiculous and i like guards on knives.

The center bar would suck if you are chopping with it and more than likely weighs the knife down making it less point heavy making it less effective for chopping

The knuckle guard is ridiculous and i like guards on knives.

The center bar would suck if you are chopping with it and more than likely weighs the knife down making it less point heavy making it less effective for chopping
I'd guess , if anything , it's supposed to be a fighting knife rather than a wood chopper ? :confused:

I like Kuks, lots, I have one of the CS "Machete" versions I use on vines and crappy jobs around the yard, it holds up OK, I file sharpen it and spray pain the blade when it is too ugly. I am afraid that this one has little appeal to me, to each there own of course, it just looks like it was thought up by a teenager with that grip/guard. I am not the one that needs to be happy with it either. As long as you are.

I like Kuks, lots, I have one of the CS "Machete" versions I use on vines and crappy jobs around the yard, it holds up OK, I file sharpen it and spray pain the blade when it is too ugly. I am afraid that this one has little appeal to me, to each there own of course, it just looks like it was thought up by a teenager with that grip/guard. I am not the one that needs to be happy with it either. As long as you are.

The grip is pretty deceiving in pics. I mean, it seems so beefy, like in 2x4 block of wood beefy, lol! But, in hand, it's not as bad in feel as the pics would lead you to believe. The actual handle area is contoured and thin enough on the back palm area grasping side, that it's feel in hand is not bad at all, (at least in my opinion).
The beefy-ness of the knuckle protecting area is obviously there to try and get some kind of decent protection from the one piece 6061 cast aluminum handle that is used. This handle size, (in my opinion), looks less out of place on this model than on the other shorter Chaos series knives. I mean, this Kukri does have a 12.5 inch blade, so the handle size just seems more proportionate on this model. Although the handle may seem like it was designed by some kid, there was obviously some thought put into it.
There have been some comments suggesting that the handle's weight may greatly diminish the advantages that the usual forward heavy kukri blades are known for. I mean, yes, it's not a tiny handle, but it's made of solid aluminum, not solid zinc, brass, or steel. So, the handle's weight is not going to be as bad as the size of it would suggest. Also, although the handle's weight may make a bigger difference in the smaller Chaos series knives, this particular model, (the Chaos Kukri), has a lot more blade, and is most definitely forward blade heavy. Whatever it's handle's weight may be, it does not seem to greatly diminish the usual forward blade heaviness of this Kukri based knife.

2d1pngi.jpg

And yeah, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea... All good :)

I must add this opinion... My recently purchasing a U.S. made Ontario Knife Company Kukri in their 1075 carbon steel, I have to say that the visual execution of the Taiwanese made Chaos Kukri is better than on Ontario's product. The grinds are more precise/even, including the sharpened edge.
Not to say that the Ontario Kukri is bad, because it is not, and believe that Ontario has upped their game in these areas in the past few years. But, they have not reached the consistency that is found on this Chaos model. I believe the CS Chaos Kukri has an average street price of about 80 dollars, (although I literally paid half that price), and the Ontario Kukri's average street price is in the 65 dollar range. So, they are f
airly comparable in price. As for the sheaths of both these models, it's not even close, with the Chaos having a quality sheath, where as the Ontario firm's Kukri sheath is a bare bones cheapie.

It's amazing how times change, and what was once true, is not so much anymore. There was a time when made in Japan knives was looked as lower quality by most folks. Time went on, and knives made in Japan has become a mark of quality by most knife folks now. Made in Taiwan was another mark of lower end stuff, but I believe that minds are starting to slowly, but surely, change on that belief. I am a bit old school, so it was hard to change my perception about Taiwan made products, perceptions that were based on items I encountered decades ago from that island nation. But, in recent years, my perception has changed to more of believing that Taiwan has become, in many ways, what Japan is, (a nation source that is more than qualified to produce a good to great quality item).
Hard to break old beliefs, (at least for me)... but those breaking of old beliefs are happening. China is another one that I used to believe was a mark of bottom of the barrel stuff... But, although it can still be that in some cases, they have obviously become a nation that can, and does produce, decent quality products, (politics aside).

I think I mentioned where the Cold Steel Chaos series is produced, but if I did not... They are made in Taiwan.
It seems some of Cold Steel's best quality items are sourced from Japan, but that list is growing short. Many of those items seem to have gone to Taiwan manufacture, with most of their slightly lesser quality made goods being made in China. Imo, Taiwan seems to offer a bit better overall quality consistency than China does for Cold Steel.

Cold Steel does have some other Nation sources... But, they are usually for other specific tools. Like, for instance, most of their European/West style swords being sourced from Windlass Steelcrafts in India. And things like machetes being mostly sourced from South Africa.

Last edited:
I think there is more than enough meat on that cast handle to make your mods. I have made mods on a couple similar items, and the only problem I ran into was a few pits found deep within the casting. No problem though, because a little epoxy and some sanding down took care of the issue before they received a few coats of finish :)
Looking forward to seeing your end result :)

I didnt say it was for wood chopping, i said just chopping.

A kukri aint exactly a slicing knife
;) No Sir , it sure ain't . But a blade mainly intended for flesh and blood can be more "slicey" than a wood chopper which is what some are used for . I think these Chaos are primarily weapons . But , of course you can chop with a weapon , also .

got it last night, and was pleasantly surprised. This knife has a very decent construction, guess CS is taking losses on it to be offered at such a low price. The guard is not uncomfortable, with plenty of room, but I will forge ahead with the original surgery plan tomorrow. I unscrewed everything on the handle but it seems like it's probable epoxied to the tang, so I left it alone and will do the cuts without taking it off.

I've got one of the daggers and for whats its designed to do it would work fine. The grip is not uncomfortable to me, lots of knuckle busters are and they managed to do a decent job with the cold steel version. Playing around with it you can stab a piece of tin siding and punch the crap out of stuff without feeling much from the grip.

got it last night, and was pleasantly surprised. This knife has a very decent construction, guess CS is taking losses on it to be offered at such a low price. The guard is not uncomfortable, with plenty of room, but I will forge ahead with the original surgery plan tomorrow. I unscrewed everything on the handle but it seems like it's probable epoxied to the tang, so I left it alone and will do the cuts without taking it off.
Looking forward to seeing your end results on it, sir :)

One of the things that surprised me about the Chaos knives I have, (Tanto & Kukri), is that the one piece aluminum handle is milled/cast to accept both the tang AND a good amount of the ricasso. Oftentimes when you look at the ricasso closely on a knife, you can see that it's shoulder, (where it steps down/downsizes to become the tang portion of the blade), rests right atop of the handle's guard. But, sometimes the guard is cast/milled with a little bit of a slot to accept part of the ricasso, one not being able to see the shoulder/tang transition point. Of course the Chaos series has an all one piece guard/handle, and they simply mill/cast it to accept the entire tang AND part of the blade's ricasso, achieving that added support for that shoulder transition area of the blade.
I believe Nut-n-Fancy is onto something about the solid metal handle to a steel blade likely being the culprit in his Chaos knife breaks. Again, he mentioned the vibrations, and the fact that those vibrations had nowhere to go. As he was wacking on shale stones with a Chaos knife, one could hear the "ting" sound that was a totally different sound from the other blades he did the same type of testing on. The other blades did NOT have metal handles. I think that if the Chaos is used on less than rock solid surfaces, (literally), than the blade life expectancy should probably fare just fine. But, with the SK-5 carbon steel blade being hardened, the 6061 aluminum handle likely being hardened in some way, and then hitting something like stone, (shale or otherwise, it's a hard surface), it will likely cause all that hardness and vibration to cause something to give, (read as break).
One area that did not break during the Nut-n-Fancy tests on the Chaos knives, was that tang/ricasso shoulder area I mentioned above. I feel that if the blade's ricasso simply butted up to the outside of the one piece handle/guard, a break there would have likely occurred.
My Chaos knives are just being kept as collectibles that won't be seeing any actual use, so they surely ain't gonna break on me ;)

5yrr40.jpg

As for most other folks out there that are using them, I would guess that most of their Chaos knives will hold up and not break either. That is, as long as they understand that their knive's have limitations... and, that they don't go out and bang them against such hard things as rocks... lol! :)

Last edited:
Hoping Zuluninja has received his CS Chaos Kukri, and that his handle modifications have begun. I must admit, I am very curious to see what his end result will be.
Looking at the original handle's shape, I can see how a mod may turn out pretty legit looking, (not winding up looking like some sort of a hack job).
Zuluninja, please post atleast one picture of your work here when you are done with your project :)

:) Dang ! You guys got me actually wanting to buy this thing cause it's such a good deal and looks cool . I've already got a nice CS Gurkha Kukri Plus in O1 steel , so I really don't need this Chaos Kuk .

:) Dang ! You guys got me actually wanting to buy this thing cause it's such a good deal and looks cool . I've already got a nice CS Gurkha Kukri Plus in O1 steel , so I really don't need this Chaos Kuk .
"Needs got nothin' to do with it"... Hahaha! ;)

Back