Ordering a "custom" sword...

Okay, I've been looking over some of the great choices available through Darkwood, but I find myself worrying about where the balance will be given different options?

I'll obviously go for the sharpened rapier blade, and I seem to be leaning towards either the three ring swept hilt with the rounded pommel, and wood grips, (I'd rather do the wire wrap myself, mine's better looking than theirs is.)
But how do I find out where the BALANCE is?
If I'm going to go to this much trouble, and spend the extra dough, I'd like to set it up with the balance as far back as possible.
Any suggestions?

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

I am not very sure on the name but...

I heard for the lower end of the price spectrum, there was a particular company that was well recommended. If I am not mistaken (I very well may be), the name of the company was Darkwood.

I couldn't tell you for sure, as I only vaguely recall that discussion from quite some time ago.

I do know some makers of really excellent looking/feeling rapiers if you are willing to afford them. Custom ain't cheap.

Shinryû.

I'm sorry Robert, I must not have been very clear.
I'm pretty much sold on buying the next one from Darkwood, but my question is,
is there any way they can tell me where it's going to balance with the different options I might choose?
At this point, cosmetics is not a factor, what I want is speed and balance. (redundant of me, I know.)
I understand their service is good, but I really don't want to spend the cost of shipping sending a sword back and forth until I get the combination that works for me.
Can I tell Darkwood *or any other maker* where I want it to balance at and have them work from there?

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

You want to give Darkwoods a specific point of balance, is that your question?

I don't know much about rapiers, but I remember it was Atrim or Tinker who said the POB of rapiers should be 21-23% of the overall length of the weapon.

Hope that helps.

Ken,

Just e-mail or call Scott and ask him. I've found that he replies promptly and is very willing to answer questions. With the different options, he can probably tell you where the POB will be, or at least have a pretty good estimate.

Chris

Back