Oregon Blade Maker Grinder

Hello all, I'm hoping that I'm doing this correctly so as to not ruffle any feathers. I used the search and didn't turn up any useful results, so here goes:

Does anyone here have experience with the "Oregon Blade Maker Grinder "?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251989890488?_mwBanner=1

It looks like it may be the best option for me considering I really can't spend $1000 on one, but also can't stand cheap tools. Thanks very much in advance for any help, and for such a great forum! :)

Tech Support is for website technical questions. What you need is Shop Talk, so I'll move this there.

You will be spending a thousand or close to it to get this grinder up and running.Good Luck. Lu

Thanks for the reply, I'm shooting for $800-$850 with a deal on a motor and vfd. Judging by a couple of videos on YouTube it seems possible, for a simple, beginning setup. Please do correct me if I'm mistaken, thanks.

Marc,650
Welcome!

The first 2 x 72 I purchased was 17 years ago, a Pro-Cut, it cost 650.00, no motor. Ask them what gauge the steel is that's used on the frame. If you have a motor or have access to one, You could be in business with a full size machine for less than I spent long ago.
I'd check it out a little further but for a first full size machine it might work for you. A basic KMG I think is 1200 or so.

I still have my Pro-Cut machine, its still running strong with a 1 1/2 hp vs dc motor I bought for 150 on e-bay.

Fred

Fred, thank you for the welcome sir! I believe he said the frame is 1/4" steel, and the tension arm (or whatever it's called) is 1/2" steel. The tool arm is 1 1/2" solid aluminum, and according to reviews, it tracks well. Lu, I hear you, and would love the KMG. However, if this one works as well as a couple of guys on YouTube say, I'd prefer to save the $300-$400 for good belts and other tools. I'm pretty well set with wood tools, but I'm setting up for steel for the first time, so I'll need a few things....

Fred, thank you for the welcome sir! I believe he said the frame is 1/4" steel, and the tension arm (or whatever it's called) is 1/2" steel. The tool arm is 1 1/2" solid aluminum, and according to reviews, it tracks well. Lu, I hear you, and would love the KMG. However, if this one works as well as a couple of guys on YouTube say, I'd prefer to save the $300-$400 for good belts and other tools. I'm pretty well set with wood tools, but I'm setting up for steel for the first time, so I'll need a few things....

Good luck, enjoy the learning, Fred

I'm probably who you saw on youtube. I did a video review once I got mine up and running.

I still think it's a great grinder for the money. I bought one of the first ones earlier this year and couldn't be happier with it. I've had no problems with it and he's great to deal with. I spent $500 on the grinder, $125 on a motor, $125 on a practically new kbac vfd I found on ebay and I was up and running for $750. I got another tooling arm that I mounted one of the USA Knifemaker 8" wheels on one side and a 1.25" small wheel on the other for handle shaping. I figured that was the bare minimum cheap way to get a variable speed setup with a couple of wheels to do various handle shaping operations. I'll need to upgrade to a real small wheel attachment at some point and a better large wheel but I get by with those wheels for now.

I'll be interested to hear how you set it up and how well it works.

I own a KMG and the Oregon Blade Maker and I like both. The KMG is more robust but also is considerably more expensive. The OBM is a solid, well made grinder. Get the grinder with flat platen attachment for $495 and a Leeson 1.5hp motor for $320 and you will have a great, reliable grinder for well under a grand.

Hey Marc,another consideration is if you plan on grinding wet, make sure you get the appropriate motor/vfd. Good Luck.Lu

Phorizt, if I "pull the trigger" this weekend, I would love that spare rest of yours. I will check in with you over the weekend and see if you still have it. I'll probably order mine tomorrow. Thanks very much everyone for the advice, and warm welcome!

Marc

Phorizt, I've decided to order today, so if the offer stands I'll happily take the tool rest. THANK YOU SIR! It will definitely help the wife with "sticker shock"! ;) I'm happy to cover shipping of course, just let me know what I can do. I tried to PM you but I don't think I'm allowed.

Last edited:
If you've not ordered your motor yet, here is a link with some info for a 3 ph motor 3450 PRM for $127 shipped, or they have the 1725 RPM motor for about $165 shipped. The Chinese VFD is now $128 I think, or somewhere in that range.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1234634-New-Grinder-for-me

If I can help more, just email and I'll be checking this thread also. Remember, you'll also need a drive wheel for the motor shaft. Your belt speed will be a tad more than the motor RPM with a 4" drive pulley.

Don't get carried away with the idea of needing a really high belt speed - unless you're a real expert. My grinder will run from about 300 SFPM to 4,000 SFPM and that's pretty good range. You WILL be using slow speeds MUCH more than 4,000 SFPM.

Ken H>

Last edited:
Back