Origins of Strider Knives

Dear Mick,
Can you please comment briefly on the origin of your work and its influences. There are a few aspects of your work that are older ideas that you have dramatically improved upon (i.e. Tanto Style tip, cord wrapped handles) Moreover, a many enthused fans and fanatics would benefit from the words coming straight from the man himself. Just to clarify...I am big fan of your work and look forward to more great work in the future.
Best Regards,
Q

you are asking the STRIDER GUYS to tell you their most inner secrets and emotions when they designed their line of knives?

Read the archives and use some common sense, or are you here to stir the pot? Why para-cord wrapped handles, you ask? Well Q, when you hands are coated with blood, body fluids and pieces of human tissue, Para-cord allows for a superior purchase in the hand. That's a GREAT reason.

As to your request for Mick and Duane to sit in front of a monitor and type 100 pages on what things in their lives led them to the line of knives called STRIDER KNIVES, get real will ya!!!!!!

I prefer their Butts be planted firmly in their shop turning out SnG's!!!! If they spend all their time here helping you to start another "debate", it will be Months before I own one of them babies!!!!

Oh and it's a framelock. Are you going to post some remarks about their use of THIS design:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wolfmann,
I think you need to read Q's post again. All he was asking was how he came up with some of the deigns. He never asked why they used paracord he simply said "that are older ideas that you have dramatically improved upon (i.e. Tanto Style tip, cord wrapped handles"
If anyone is trying to stir the pot here it's you. Q was simply trying to get a little background on the design style of Strider. There is no where in his post that Q has said anything negative about Strider Knives.
From the outside looking in I would say that you are attacking Q for no reason other than he simply wanted to know a little bit more about the history of Strider Knives.
Oh though I'm sure he is greatful for you passing on all your wisdom about there knives.
I'm pretty surprised that this came from you. Your history has been wait untill someone else says something and then jump on the bandwagon.
You can e-mail me a reply so we do not cloud the forum with your bull$hit.

Vinnie

Vinnie-
That is the funniest avatar or whatever the hell they are I've seen to date. Good stuff, that warm bowl of _ _ _ _!

You guys crack me up.

HEY VINCE!!! How are you?
Vince is my **** talking Brother.
Vince calls it like he sees it WAY more than even I do.
Of course he backs it up by being a superhero.

Everyone in this thread is a little on track.

Mr. Q did post in order to clear up a few things…. sorta…but that is not out of line.

Mr. Wolf was on track as far as the fact that I can’t really devote “much” time to writing about our influence.

I WILL try to find a little time later to address this issue.
I have been asked to write the same for publication, so it may take a little time.

Talk to you soon

Mick

Frankly, I want to hear the entire history of Duane's life from the time he was a twinkle in his parents' eyes. :D

I have to disagree with shane - looks to me like the q-man hates lawyers with a passion. I can't blame him. Everything he said is pretty much common sense - those who know about Striders wouldn't touch the knockoffs with a ten foot pole. Those who would buy them, wouldn't buy a Strider anyhow.

Even patents & copyright laws these days aren't a protection when it comes to foriegn countries. Clement said that in HK, you could get Strider knockoffs down to the logo - people don't care about the laws.

Is it right? No. But suing everyone at the drop of a hat isn't an answer, especially when you are looking at vagaries like tiger striping & paracord. Now, if someone was illegally using a patented feature, like the CRKT LAWKs or something similar - it's time to lawyer up.

But for pissant stuff like this, forget about it. The effort isn't worth the reward.

Kevin

Wolfie, I'm a new Strider customer, and I must admit, I know little about the company. I have not had the priviledge to meet Mick or Duane at a gun or knife show. I'd like to know a little about the company and its origin, myself. I greatly admire their products and I'm selling off some stuff right now to buy a GB.

I like to do a little bit of research before I buy a product. For example, I like Dillon Precision products because I like the way that Mike Dillon runs his shop. I admire Tony Marfione at Microtech; he's an artist not a business man, but I understand passion. I heard lots of great things about both Strider knives and their owners, and then I plunked down my money.

I like the fact that Mick personally responds to questions here. I'd like to better know the man.

Originally posted by Spark

- people don't care about the laws.

People shouldn't need to care about the laws in the first place. In a better world people should know how to conduct themselves already if they choose to live with enough respect and honor.

now i might get fried for saying this: although a large number of rip-offs are asian made, they however get shipped to the US mainly. The edge's at both ends. it's like:"hey bud we keep makin' 'em coz yous keep buyiny 'em."
it never makes me proud that my country (sort of) tops as the rip-off center of the universe. i'm a designer by trade, and i pass up on enough business just trying to maintain a professional courtesy for the others. trying to do the right thing certainly isn't very profitable.

i buy Strider Knives mostly because i admire the men behind the steel. A decade in a growing business and still holding up principles is no mean feast. sometimes i stare at my blackhawk stuff that says "made in taiwan", and my brain goes numb.

Please, no flames, just my 0.2.
Take care, be well.

Vinnie, I LOVE that avatar! :D

When am I going to see you again? You going to Blade West? I might make it, not sure yet though.

Mick,
always great to hear from you. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it out there in December. Hope to talk to you soon

Take care Brother

Rob,
Not sure, but it should be soon. I've been swamped at work. Not sure when I'm going to get a brake. Doesn't look like I'm going to make Blade West. I could use another good night of drinking with you guys.

Vinnie

Well, looks like you will be getting busier too! At any rate, I could use another good night of drinking with you guys too! :p

Again, I would like to emphasize that I can only respond every few days as time permits. Although, I'd like to respond more quickly in regards to certain individuals in this forum who obviously like to "stir the pot" (as quoted by wolfmann). I'll try to stay on track here and keep to the subject after addressing a few issues:

First, Wolfmann.
If you will re-read my first post in this thread you'll discover that I only asked for a brief comment from Mick/Duane and nowhere did I imply that they put their lives on hold and write a few hundred pages revealing the secrets to his work. Where did you get THAT out of my question to Mick? Sounds like YOU are doing some stirring here?
The question was for Mick, ya know? Most guys out there buying Strider won't need the extra 'grippage' that your refering to, in order to offset the BLOOD and GUTS THEORY that you have. You make it sound like the folks who may actually use them for this purpose are totally disecting people. That is not the primary reason for the cord and when Mick finds time to respond he will confirm that. Moreover, anyone in the know would not be making mention to this. Go have a bowl of Vin's avatar and stop stirring it, just eat up. You sound like a "wanna be". Get Real Will Ya (as previously posted by Wolfmann601). Framelock this!

Vinnie,
Great Avatar !!!
We haven't met but thanks for standing up to the rhetoric that I'm hearing from these guys. Knew I could count on a fellow Teufelhunde. I would advise against responding to, much less reading, 45-1911's comments. He's another "wanna be" that needs a bowl of your avatar. And regardless of what anyone says, including Mick, he continues to stir.

Spark,
I anticipated the previous comments from Wolfmann and Shane45-1911 in light of their knee-jerk reaction to only partially reading my previous posts. I will add that I didn't expect all to be able to understand them much less read at all (poor guys). As per your response, I am relieved that among others that have seen my point(s), that the administrator of this forum would understand my point. It is self explanatory if you read it. I dont feel like I have been too unreasonable and where it was pointed out to me, I tried to explain my reasoning. I'll still continue to post occasionally and won't let a few "wanna be's" ruin the forum for the better of everyone else. Its appears that in my short experience with them, that they use this forum for venting their personal problems, Flame Wars (as Shane45 calls it), and getting real (as Wolfmann calls it).

Mick,
I will patiently wait for your response as I know you are a busy man. I apologize that this has gotten off track again and I am only looking for information here. Not trying to start it up with your "**** talking" buddys.
Best Regards,
Q

Sorry Fred!!

Originally posted by quijanos
He's another "wanna be" that needs a bowl of your avatar. And regardless of what anyone says, including Mick, he continues to stir.

Wanna be ??? Tell me what that is Q. I'll then tell YOU some stories. You don't know anything, little boy. You are phucking around in the wrong forum, and pissed me off for the last time - I will simply ignore your cry-baby "help me moderators" bullshit from now on. Oh, by the way - BLOW ME.

Hold up..
Twice in your post you have talked smack in my direction.
Im not sure what your story is.
Im really sorry if your feelings have been hurt here.
HOWEVER, you did in fact begin the **** that has come to you.
You stated “Go sue yourself for being ignorant.”

Hardly complementary.

In this thread…

“regardless of what anyone says, including Mick”
Where did that come from?

So you say you are not trying to start anything with my “**** talking buddies”…
Just which of my buddies are you talking about?
Vince or Rob?
Because they are my only buddies in this thread. I have never spoken to anyone else here, except here.

I don’t really mind people coming here and talking a little ****, it usually works itself out, you clearly do. (Judging from the fact that you reported the other thread). Even though you like to pretend otherwise you are just as involved in the **** talking as anyone else. Intelligent quips are just as much of a shot as calling someone a moron.

It is VERY clear that you started this thread to bring insight into the other.
That was viewed as chicken **** buy the people you were in a discussion with.
Hence the bullshit parade.

I personally don’t care about much of the crap that flies, Ill step in if needed, kind of like in the other thread. I viewed this thread as what it was, a question about our product. I plan to answer your questions just as soon as im finished babysitting all of this crap.

Im not trying to dis you Q Im simply trying to clean this up a bit.

Everyone…
Can we all move on now and be grownups?

Mick

Who the hell is Fred?

Back