Orion K2 Caper

I had seen little or nothing about this Michigan knife company until I stumbled on thier website a week or two ago. I checked over thier offerings and ended up purchasing one of their K2 Caper models. In talking with Jeff at Orion I found out that they have been doing the majority of the grinding for Pro-Tech for quite some time now and have recently struck out on their own.

The K2 Caper is a little over 6 3/4" long with a 3 1/2" blade and a 3" cutting edge, it is made from 154CM steel tempered to Rc 58/60 with a handle of black G10; it comes in a very nice black leather sheath. The knife came very sharp!

When buying over the net I realize that it is the luck of the draw but this knife fits my hand as if it were made for it. The G10 handle is a bit thin but after handling it for a while it feels great. I have not had enough time to give an extensive review of this knife but tonight it will be doing kitchen duty.

Their website is http://www.orionknives.com/page/page/2993651.htm, until the end of May they have these on sale for $49.00 which is a steal. The ones on sale come with either black or green G10 handles although other materials are available. It is worth taking a look, check them out.

I originally posted this in the general forum and then realized that it more than likely belonged here.

I have one of these knives.

Must agree with you - fits great in the hand.
Not the greatest fit and finish to the handle scales on mine, but the blade is excellent.

A very good value little cutter made in the USA.

I very much like the knife but found the G10 handle to be a bit small in my hand. I just took delivery of another K-2, this one with the lacewood handle, wow, what a difference. The larger handle makes all the difference for me, what an awesome knife, the fit and finish are dead on.

These knives are great for EDC or any utility work you might have. Mine have been in the garden and the kitchen and excell in both places.

John

One of the things I like about this knife is how it keeps an edge. Mine must be toward the top of the hardness range because it is very slow to sharpen, but once sharp, watch out.

Nice knives and Jeff is a really great guy to work with.

Several picks of my K2. I like the shape of this knife, it good in the hand and it's fast and easy to order from Orion Knives even for overseas customers. It has only one little problem - quality.
724514.jpg

Bigger size
724516.jpg

724528.jpg

Bigger size
724530.jpg

724532.jpg

I agree that the fit and finish of their knives lack a little..... but I think for the money they are great user knives.

I have their knives on our website, so I have handled several dozen, and their quality is improving. A few more minutes on each knife would make a world of difference.

I agree with okbohn. It's a $70 knife with sheath and shipping included made of G10 and CPM154. For that price you are buying function not beauty.

I agree that the fit and finish of their knives lack a little..... but I think for the money they are great user knives.

I have their knives on our website, so I have handled several dozen, and their quality is improving. A few more minutes on each knife would make a world of difference.
So, you say I am not lucky owner of "one of kind" unique K2, but knives like this are common? That's disappointing.

Ig, I have two of these and niether one looks at all like yours. The fit and finish on my G10 handled one is off just a bit in the slab matching department but my lacewood handled model is near perfect.

You might want to contact them and see if they will do anything I don't know what their warranty policy is, good luck and let us know what happens.

John

I don't want to deal with warranty, this knives isn't for my collection but should be working knife. Already fixed myself part of problems (not all of them you can see on the photos). I just don't think this level of quality is acceptable for knife in any price range not sold as factory seconds.

There wasn't anything wrong or not up to par on my cord wrapped K2. It sounds like they need to tighten their quality control up a bit.

I agree that that sort of quality is not acceptable but why not give them a chance to make it right?

Back