Ospho Kitchen Sink Parkerizing

OK, I know one of you knows about this, but board we normally talk on is dead. :)

I have read instructions on how to parkerize at home with Ospho, which is a phosphoric acid treatment used to prime bare metal. My problem is that I can't for the life of me find Ospho. I've been told I can get it at Home Depot, but I can't figure out where in the store it might be, and the workers at my local Home Depot are absolute morons. I've also called some auto supply places thinking they might have it to prime metal body parts before working on, but that was no go either.

So anwyays, was wondering what specific dept./section of the store it might be in, since the employees there were no help. Also if you could go over the rough process again as a bookmark does me know good when the page is dead(I knew I should have saved the file to my computer).

So thanks in advance for your help Scott, or anyone else here who happens to know the answers. I know I can order parkerizing stuff from Brownells, but Ospho is cheaper at the start, plus I don't have to pay Hazmat shipping fees, which I think would actually end up by themselves costing more than the Ospho, if I remember prices I was quoted right.

I have used this product in the past, for deglazing and etching galvanized metal. I got mine at the local paint store, so I would assume it would be in the paint dept., at Lowes or HD.
Ken (wwjd)
Note: Canning vinegar, 5% by volume, reduced to concentrate will blacken/etch carbon steel and so will muriatic acid, if the steel does not have too much chromium in it.

well heck. Sadly enough, I never thought of getting what is basically a painting supply at a paint store. I thought I was smart to think of calling auto shops. ;)

Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call sometime.

And yeah, I know that vinegar(acetic acid), muriatic acid(hydrochloric acid) and Ferric Chloride can all be used for etching, I'm hoping to use the Ospho for parkerizing, which if I remember/understand right, isn't just an etching, but also a bonding of chemical to the surface of the metal, either Zinc Phosphate or Manganese phosphate, depending on what you use with the Ospho.

Back