OT: Darwin award candidate to take on griz.

Sorry, no original source.

Bear-proof suit man to try again

A Canadian inventor says his latest bear-proof suit will work even though his last attempt failed.

Troy Hurtubise has built six armoured suits but none was strong enough to survive the onslaught of a 93-stone Kodiak.

He thinks the seventh version will succeed and is hoping to test it for himself.

The new suit is built from stainless steel and titanium and has shock absorbers and air bags.

An earlier version was torn apart in an unmanned test.

The bear's owner refused to let the inventor wear it in the pen in case he was hurt.

Mr Hurtubise said: "He believed the Mark VI wouldn't hold up to the enormous pressure the bear would have exerted and that he would have just rippedthrough the chain mail. So I went back home determined to build a new suit that would be Kodiak-proof."

He hopes the Ursus Mark VII will allow him to take on the three metre tall animal later this year.

Canada.com reports that apart from the safety devices the suit also has a built-in video screen, a cooling system and swiveled joints.

Mr Hurtubise hopes it can be used to study bears close-up without there being any risk to the humans involved.

Sounds like a tasty tinned snack to take back to the den for that first meal after the long sleep.

Is this the same guy that made a suit and was hit by a truck slamed through a brick wall and a bunch of other stuff and came out fine?

I saw a documentary on that guy. Interesting stuff but I think it would be kinda difficult to study bears lumbering around in a suit like that.

Dunno, if it's the same guy, sounds possible though. I'd say the bear dude has suffered at least one too many blows to the cranial area.

You'd think he could "invent" something to stand in for his person for the first run...like a few salmon or pik-a-nik baskets.

And wearing the suit, in conjuction with a sensible diet will lead to weight loss!

I can hear the bear now... "I just love these things. Crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle!" :cool:

What he really needs to do is modify the suit so it's impossible to wear and then rename it a fool-proof suit.

Read the article. He still seems stoopi...d.
Some people are bound and determined to take the messy way to exit stage left.
If he wants to get his @$$ kicked by a grizzly so badly why isn't he covering himself and suit in chicken livers? I imagine a griz. would mistake him for potted meat or spam.
Of course, what idjit is going to come to the rescue when our young einstein is being made into hors duerves? Probably PETA so they can show pix of another exploited animal.:p

Originally posted by raghorn
I can hear the bear now... "I just love these things. Crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle!" :cool:

Didn't Gary Larson do a "Far Side" like that?:p :D

I have the perfect suit, all I need to do is barrow an armored car from the local reserve unit. I can observe bears all day long while eating a sandwich in a well heated cab.

I'll even give our hero a ride in. We might just need the bait.

n2s

Originally posted by Roger Smith

Didn't Gary Larson do a "Far Side" like that?:p :D

Yep, with polar bears and an igloo.

I have the one on my desk with the guy stepping into an elevator between a momma grizzly and her cub. ;)

Originally posted by firkin
Sorry, no original source.

Bear-proof suit man to try again

A Canadian inventor says his latest bear-proof suit will work even though his last attempt failed.

I am constantly amazed by the things some people do.

This ranks right up there with spitting on a Hell's Angel.

Not conducive to good health, me thinks. :eek:

Why doesn't our Einstein-in-trianing work on a jet pack, so he could fly away from the bears? ( I mean, if you're gonna spend your time perfecting a way to survive in the company of bears, at least make something that can win you a government defense contract!:D )

-Craig

Honestly, I hope it gets the money for it - as long as it comes from Japan. :D

Did you see the Chinese high wire walker who has been up on the wire for 22 days?

It takes all kinds, I guess.

Back