OT: Sunday hike in Shenandoah

We went on a hike in Shenandoah. The day started out cloudy, then cleared up. Around noon we arrived and purchased an annual pass to Shenandoah National Park.

We drove along Skyline Drive to near Nicholson Cabin trail and parked. The hike started downhill quite a ways. The sun was out now but it was a great and cool 45 degrees. Around an hour and a half later we had made it to Nicholson Cabin which runs along a stream. It was a gorgeous day. Nice thing about winter hiking -- no bugs, no heat.

Had a bit of a time coaxing the dog across the brook but he finally did it. I actually took a dip so my shoes got wet. I had extra socks but didn't bother changing into them.

Now the uphill started. It was "moderately strenuous" and we had to keep stopping to rest. We had lunch and continued. We ended at Skyline, then crossed and continued on the Appalachian Trail, downhill and then uphill, to the car. The last .5 mile there was continuous snow, so I needed a walking stick so I used my khuk to cut one and managed to make it through the snow with ease.

A great 4 hour hike, and I got to use my khuk (the BAS with horn I think), plus I shined one of my SureFire lights down a hollow tree to see what was inside. A very nice day.

Did you run into any other hikers, and if so, did they give the BAS a second look? I am hoping to get out for a day hike in several weeks and would like to take my BAS along. Just don't want to freak anybody out. :eek:

Jeff

devo55 said:
Did you run into any other hikers, and if so, did they give the BAS a second look? I am hoping to get out for a day hike in several weeks and would like to take my BAS along. Just don't want to freak anybody out. :eek:

Jeff

I wouldn't sweat it too much, Jeff. If you're taking a pack with you, then maybe just throw it in or lash it to the side. Generally speaking, when i go on a hike i take my Pen Knife strapped to the side of my pack and a JKM or sarge and a multitool/SAK on my belt. I've never gotten any funny looks that way.

Also, for bigger khuks i have a leather "Khuk Kozy" that i put over the handle of the knife and the mouth of the scabbard once it's strapped on the pack. It's kind of like the socks people put on their golf clubs. This protects the handles from damage as well as making it a little more sheeple friendly. it kind of says "yes, i'm packing a large knife, but it's put away".

Don't stress too much about what you're packing as long as it is legal in the area you are hiking. You never know. When the SHTF those people giving you the evil eye might be glad someone brought a big blade to save their arses;)

Jake

I usually keep the khuk in the backpack, don't think I've ever had a reason to use it yet. I did use one of the torture knives once. The fools didn't realize it was an eyeball plucker though. :)

Yep, I keep mine in the backpack. "Weapons" are officially verboten in national parks, including guns.

BTW, we ran into *nobody*. Didn't see a soul after paying Ms. Ranger for the annual pass. Another wonderful feature of winter hiking!!

BruiseLeee said:
I usually keep the khuk in the backpack, don't think I've ever had a reason to use it yet. I did use one of the torture knives once. The fools didn't realize it was an eyeball plucker though. :)

'Oh, it's not an eyeBALL plucker, it's an eyeLASH plucker." That'll get you through with no problem... :D

(Don't even think about sharpening it in some Natural way though :eek: )

cognitivefun ...I'm now offically jealous. Shenandoah's about hour from the house but between baby detail and work travel hiking seems to have taken a back seat...maybe next weekend when I "finaly":rolleyes: get off the road...I'll get a chance to get some fresh air.

JHB said:
cognitivefun ...I'm now offically jealous. Shenandoah's about hour from the house but between baby detail and work travel hiking seems to have taken a back seat...maybe next weekend when I "finaly":rolleyes: get off the road...I'll get a chance to get some fresh air.

For years, when our kids were younger, we wouldn't be able to get away much.

My babies are 14 and 15 now, so us adult babies can go with the canine baby (10yo? American Eskimo) and have at it. My kids won't go hiking with us, they hate hiking.

We've been going every week the weather's good. Next week we're staying (all of us including kids and dog) in West Virginia in a cabin in the woods.

Great time to bring guns, khukuris, knives and flashlights, all outdoors, combining my favorite hobbies.

Back