OT: Where can I find an old style push mower?

You know the one that is not electric or gas. You supply all the power. Like Tom the cat used to try to run over Jerry the mouse with. I have a small yard and the powered ones are too noisy when one of these will do the job just as well.

Go to Ace Hardware or Home Depot and tell 'em you're looking for a "reel type" mower, that's what they're called. Why stop there? There's guys on this forum that can explain in detail how folks in central/south America cut grass with nothing but a machete.

Sarge

Yep, I've seen them in my home depot in Maine as well!

I used to use one that was my grandfathers when I was a kid. I thought it was lots of fun to mow part of my dad's lawn back then. Then when I was a teenager he practically had to put a gun to my head to get me to use the riding mower--attitudes change with age, and thank god I didn't get stuck at the teenage stage!!:D

I use a reel type mower for my small from yard (much to the amazement of my suburban neighbors). Home Depot in WA has both the mowers and the grasscatcher. Be warned - Quality is not as high as the ones we remember from days of yore - the grasscatcher comes off at the drop of a hat.

Pat

You may be disapointed in the performance of a reel mower. I bought one a year ago for the exact same reason. It work well enough if you keep the blades sharp and you are willing to mow more often. If they grass gets even a bit too tall, you are screwed. Plus, since the moving blades do not create a "vacuum" sensation like a standard mower, your grass can lay down when it gets too tall and you won't be able to cut it very well. The wheels will press strips of grass down that will not get cut when the blades pass over. Here in Northern Va, I have to mow my grass every other day or so to keep up.

If noise is a consideration, get an electric mower. I borrowed one from my neighbor. While I was running it, my wife didn't hear it inside. The cord is bothersome, but not as much as you would think. They also make battery powered ones (guy down the street has one). A good reel mower will cost $100+ while an electric mower will cost $150+. The price difference is not that great. The performance is.

Chris

I had one as well. It has all the drawbacks mentioned, but it's cool to have all those blades goin. Locks up if you hit a twig, need to oil it after each use.

Keith

Basically a reel mower requires a lot more maintenance. If you're doing it for nostalgic reasons, though, you probably like the maintenance (as I do with my old tools). ;)

For the most part (note huge generalizing words), most new ideas are based on convenience, with only modest improvements in efficiency.

Thanks guys, I got one from cleanairgardening.com. I hope the quaility is decent, it appears to be from the description. My wife wants one because she LIKES to mow grass. She can't start a gas one and she had one of these at a place she rented before we married and loved it. If she wants to mow the lawn and I don't have to, that is OK with me. I am like pendentive, I enjoy old tools. I am trying to build up my woodshop so it is all manual tools. No power tools at all. Hand planes, braces, hand saws, everything. If any of you have any old, WORKING, tools you want to let go of cheap, drop me an email. I am not interested in collectors stuff unless I can use it too. I may end up Amish yet.

In the favor of old tools and old ways -- spoke with Pala via phone a couple of days back and production was at a standstill due to loss of electricity. This is the price we pay for going high tech.

Back