Other stuff we collect

So I pulled out the "Holiday Wusthof" and it got me thinking about the other stuff we collect. Things that pull on our heart strings and inspire us. For me, I'm a slave to Japanese tools, an old sewing machine, an old knife and old tools. Where do you find inspiration?

2019122519122839--4979392836406016403-IMG_2411-L.jpg

2019122519122839--1434913177439502291-IMG_2412-L.jpg

Think about if Francisco's is still open in Omaha. Who made the marks on the slicing knife. How many times the Henkels has been through the dishwasher. And BTW, who the hell collects hammers???

2019122519122839--2690566458838130780-IMG_2413-L.jpg

Look at those marks, the patina, how many times it has been sharpened. What was Paris like in 1900 and St Louis in 1904?

2019122519185679-3020442745391564454-IMG_2417-L.jpg

Last edited:
I've been fairly absent from the forums recently, but I still get email notifications and stop in to see what's going on. Anyhow, this thread called to me because I've recently started a new collection and I feel like writing about it... This might end up being long, I haven't written anything in a while.

You see, I have quite the dichotomy of hobbies that pull my attention. Two categories: "the outdoors", and "the nerdy stuff". The outdoors being hunting, fishing, foraging, camping, etc. The nerdy stuff being boardgames, role playing games and occasionally a video game, but mostly the first two. These pull my attention in waves. Sometimes I only want to do stuff in the outdoors, and other times I'm all about the boardgames. It's been that way for most of my life to some degree...

Well, for a short while about 20 years ago I got pretty into Dungeons and Dragons. Eventually that lost to video games, and fishing, and various other hobbies within these categories. Long story short, this year I've started getting back into RPGs including Dungeons and Dragons. I dug up my old stuff, bought the new stuff, and started playing here and there. So, the foundation is laid, onto the new collection I've started...

Dice.

In most classic style RPGs you decide your character's fate with a set of 7 polyhedral dice, with the main one being the 20-sided die aka d20. So, in the process of digging out my old stuff I got into my small drawer where my dice eventually landed after following me around for the last 20 years. In there I had roughly 8 - 10 sets of dice, but most of them were incomplete. Missing pieces that I had stolen for some other use over the years. Being a bit of a completionist I posted the pictures to a dice collecting group to ask for identification help so I could try to re-complete the sets. Turns out I opened up a giant can of worms. Different dice makers, out-of-print sets, rare and highly saught after dice, custom handmade dice, endless colors and options, and so on. Overwhelmed and highly intrigued.

In that can I also found out that two of my hoarded sets are out of print and worth $200-250 each, and that I had a handful of other OOP singles that I have since sold to a other collector.

So, fast forward about two weeks to today. I've won a few eBay's auctions for various dice, I've more than tripled the sets of dice I own, and have learned a ton about something that I hardly knew even existed when I sought out to ID a few missing dice. Fun stuff!

Also, Jason @Diomedes Industries makes a mean dice bag, and represents a really cool crossing of my hobbies. Sheaths and dice bags from one source.
2asn8cdl.jpg

Some of the incomplete sets.
3gf8T9Gl.jpg

One of the OOP rare sets.
B9sytk9l.jpg

I haven't had much of a chance to share my new interest with friends or family yet, so it felt good to write about it! Thanks for the random outlet swonut swonut

Back