OUR EPIC JOURNEY from FINLAND to ALASKA has startedy...

She was right next to us....

85.jpg

She didn't mind us as we presented no danger to her.

81b.jpg

Back to drinking....a close-up.....

81.jpg

Here comes her baby....:D

84.jpg

Back for another drink....

83.jpg

Not much further ahead....

78.jpg

What in the world is this.....

76.jpg

a closer up view....

77.jpg

Beautiful blue hues...Great clouds.....:p

75.jpg

Skies were incredible....

74.jpg

...and dusty road work ahead.....
73.jpg

Hope you and Wife let me know when you come to Alaska. Maybe we all can meet for coffee or lunch if you get near where we live...:):p

We love halibut and hunting is good here too. Not much need to buy meat...;):D

Added after I saw where you are:

Oh, darn, you are in Australia....too far to come to Alaska :eek:

haha by end of the year I will be stateside again living in KS...but we will be coming up to Homer each year during summer if money permits, love it up there and want to take a nice snap frozen haul of halibut back. We have a friend who runs a charter that sends us big lots of halibut.

Wanna try and score some walrus ivory for a knife handle next time i'm up there ;)

i had the exact same thing happen to me the day i got to Alaska, was amazing! they are freaking huge...I was in a chevy truck and it still seemed to tower over us :D

They are very beautiful too.... We often have a cow and two calves hanging around our yard...:)

Back to the dust.....:eek:

67.jpg

These people amaze me. I've seen several driving Al-Can both ways....
Imagine the strength, endurance and stamina it takes...This highway is loooooooooong :eek:

66.jpg

What a beautiful planet we live on....

72.jpg

Wow....:eek::eek: That's quite a rig to drive...huh?!

69.jpg

68.jpg

Then this happened from an oncoming vehicle. The rock hit the hood and bounced to the windshield with force big enough to shatter the inside
layer of the glass and drop many small slivers of glass on the dash....
:eek::(

65.jpg

It even put a dent on the hood....:(

haha by end of the year I will be stateside again living in KS...but we will be coming up to Homer each year during summer if money permits, love it up there and want to take a nice snap frozen haul of halibut back. We have a friend who runs a charter that sends us big lots of halibut.

Wanna try and score some walrus ivory for a knife handle next time i'm up there ;)

Who is your friend in Homer? I bet my husband knows him. :p

Who is your friend in Homer? I bet my husband knows him. :p

his names Tim, does the snow plowing during the winters...wont mention last name on open forums, but he hooked us up with some really good halibut before we had to come back to Aus.

being alaska though everyone knows everyone knows everyone haha. :D

Fab pics! I cant say in words how much I appreciate your pics and what joy they bought. Indeed what a beautiful planet we live on....

Piggybag...:eek:;)....that makes it a real tall rig...Watch for the heavy crosswinds....

64.jpg

..and more of the loooong road..........

63.jpg

...and another bicyclist...:eek::eek:
62.jpg

Unbelievable, -there are two of them....:p
61.jpg

Ahead, an other little place in the middle of nowhere...Imagine what live would be like, living in a place like that.
-No one else living around for miles and miles. Occasional traveler stopping by in the summer time.... Lonely and COLD
in the winter....

60.jpg

Fab pics! I cant say in words how much I appreciate your pics and what joy they bought. Indeed what a beautiful planet we live on....

Thanks...:p:D I appreciate the feedback.

I was feeling a bit lonely there a while back when no one posted on this thread. It's better now that I know some of you are enjoying traveling with us and seeing USA through our trip...

Beautiful skies...

59.jpg

...and they change so quickly...
58.jpg

Lovely music to listen to as we cruise........It went so well with the mood at the time...Lisa and her husband Ron
are actually friends of ours...

57.jpg

I haven't chimed in -- just want to say that I am really enjoying your travelouge -- great pics and narrative. I really need to see that part of the country myself.

I haven't chimed in -- just want to say that I am really enjoying your travelouge -- great pics and narrative. I really need to see that part of the country myself.

Thanks :p I'm glad you are enjoying it. Beautiful country to see.. You would like it...:)

Beauty is everywhere if we just STOP for a moment and LOOK AROUND us!

We often forget about the little things that are parts of the whole picture. Seeing them can bring joy to a heart...:p:)

16.jpg

What do we really see when we look at the scene? It depends how thoroughly we look...

Life abound around us....Beautiful, -delightful lifeforms to see...
Sometimes they blend well into their surroundings...:p:)

28.jpg

Beauty is everywhere if we just STOP for a moment and LOOK AROUND us!

We often forget about the little things that are parts of the whole picture. Seeing them can bring joy to a heart...:p:)

What do we really see when we look at the scene? It depends how thoroughly we look...

Words to live by!

Hi Spinner1 -

Awesome pics as usual.

I think that thing on the trailer may have been a log splitter. Just a guess based on the pictures.

I remember well (and not fondly) the construction bits up there in BC and the YT - dusty does not even begin to describe it lol....

I also have had experiences with rocks thrown up by the trucks up there - I had my windscreen and headlight broken on the Dalton by passing trucks, and I had a headlight broken in BC by a logging truck. Such are the tribulations of a trip into that territory.

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures and dialogue.

best regards -

mqqn

The green thing in the "what is it pic" is an eight wheel amphibious ATV. I think the red thing might be a hydraulic saw or lift/hoist.

Great pics. Thanks again for the best thread in BF.

Back