Out of curiousity, who here, in this forum makes knive?? (just wondering)

Originally posted by Burchtree
Satin -- got any pics? I read "tactical/defensive" and my ears perked up.

Michael & others - heres a few shots of some of my work. I try to apply my knowledge of self defense/tactical matters to the design and construction of what I build, and half the fun for me is that expirimenting. I like to try new things, and almost all the work I've done has been expirimental to some degree. My influences come from a lot of people, Fred Perrin, Szabo, Bagwell, Emerson, Ryan, Piorek, Strider and Mad Dog, to name a few.

The first shot is, top to bottom, a tactical/fighter a female friend of mine designed and had me make, 3/16" 154-CM, 6" blade, F-18 carbon fiber scales (Her pic of it, after some use), and the second is a prototype of a Pikal (edge in reverse grip) oriented knife I am working on, that one is my current EDC fixed blade:
NR_pikal.jpg

This pic is a grouping of stuff I have laying around right now, most of it in progress, going clockwise we've got a non-tactical kitchen knife, 1/8" 440C, a hawkbill in 3/16" 154-CM (for the same friend who has the tanto shown above), a 1/4" F-18 carbon fiber Warrior style knife, the pikal knife, a brass handled spike with velcro-attachable sheath, a fighting bowie out of 3/16" 1084 I am making to take to the Riddle of Steel, a 3/16" ATS-34 scaleless neck knife and another spike, this one one piece of blackened high carbon steel:
current.jpg

Hopefully this isnt out of line to post - not trying to sell, just share with fellows. Anyone wanting more information should contact me through email.
Anybody else care to share pics of their works? Love to see.

Oh yeah - sorry for the crummy pics, my camera sucks.

Satin,
they look good!

I started making knives almost twenty years ago. My Dad bought a 1902 sears & roebuck farmers forge from a farm auction near my Granfathers old farm. It had been rusted and the leather belt was pretty well rotted. He bought it for 20 dollars, took it home and over the next few weeks we restored it to its original condition. He then bought books on blacksmithing and I started to forge blades from railroad spikes, and old files. The railroad spikes made nice blades, except for having to add carbon to the Iron. Two years ago (? maybe less?) I started on folders, tactical folders. There are many factors that have to be considered when making a folder, but it is very enjoyable.

Its nice to see there are quite few here who enjoy making knives. For me its always been the enjoyment of the work.

Thanks guys :)
Having a fun hobby like this is an easy way to keep a teenager like me out of trouble ;)

Full time four years ( eleven total ). Through all the ups and downs, good times and bad, I wouldnt trade what I do for anything. -- Charles

Charles,
Ive seen the pics of your knives before in Blade. I really appreciate your taste in design.

Back