"OUTDOOR LIFE" Sharpfinger?

I bought what appears to be a Sharpfinger with a sheath from a pawn shop for $20 today. Instead of the Old Timer badge on the handle, it says "Outdoor Life". There is no actual "stamp" on the knife, but what appears to be probably a laser engraved model number on the tang. It says in two lines "FSO152" and "STAINLESS". There is also a laser engraving that says "Made in the USA" on the blade. It has black sawcut delrin handles. Just wondering if this a Schrade knife or not. The "FSO152" seems to imply to me that it is, but I defer to those much more knowledgeable than I.

I did a google search and found an ad with a picture. Here it is. If I have posted a link I shouldn't have, I apologize and ask that a mod remove it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave

I think it's a factory special order 152.They did make them for magazines like Guns and Ammo and Outdoor Life.Codger should be along shortly with the rest of the story.Nice find.Arnold

As the great Imperial Schrade Empire was drawing to a close in 2004, another company which had thrived on imports of cheap fantasy knives was climbing in the American cutlery industry. United Cutlery based in Tennessee split it's import division from the parent company, and added a new state of the art manufacturing facility here in Tennessee, Arrowhead. Some of the machinery in fact was purchased from the ISC auction. Among the patterns introduced were the Sharpfinger and it's prototyped varient, the 152OTX which Schrade failed to get into production. Using several of the brand names which United had harvested over the years, the Sharpfinger patterns will be seen branded Outdoor Life, Harley Davidson, Rigid, and possibly others which don't immediately come to mind. The FSO152C is one of those Arrowhead produced United knives. Most of this genre of their knives were laser etched and shielded for branding rather than tang stamped.

Having reached too far too fast, in October, 2006 United Cutlery, along with it’s Arrowhead Manufacturing Division filed Bankruptcy. The equipment and factory were subsequently sold.

Their knives appear to be of decent quality. Other patterns they made include some of the Safe-T-Grip and X-Timer series. They may have well made some of these for the new Taylor Schrade line, but I am not sure of that.

Michael
Codger

Here is a repost of a review I did on this knife some time back:

I just received a new U.S. made Sharpfinger clone in the mail, and thought to post a review and side by side comparison of it and the Schrade Sharpfinger.

This knife is one that can now be found in K-Mart and other major retailers, the Outdoor Life FSO152C by United Cutlery Corp., Sevierville, Tennessee. As you can tell by the use of the “152" in the pattern number (the same with the Camillus GP152), there is no attempt to hide the origins of the design, and in fact, like the Camillus version, an open attempt at filling a market niche for Schrade’s most popular fixed blade hunting knife. While you and I know that there are still NIB Sharpfingers on the secondary market, the passing of two years has for all intents and purposes seen them dry up on the primary market, i.e. brick and mortar stores.

The FSO152C, as the last letter suggests, came in a clampack, all United’s own design, using the copyrighted “Outdoor Life” logo front and rear (licensed from Time4 Media, Inc.). The front of the card has a “Made in the U.S.A.” logo, repeated on the back along with “Sourced and Distributed by United Cutlery Corp.”. While it it not specifically stated as such, the knife is likely produced in United’s Arrowhead Cutlery plant.

The sheath is a genuine leather item, top grain cowhide, well finished in medium russet, the same thickness and pattern as the original Schrade sheaths. They could possibly be sourced from the same manufacturers.

Dimensionally and in profile, the Outdoor Life is very close to the original Sharpfinger. The grind is hollow like the last Schrades, with a very well defined grind line, not polished down to a smooth transition. Blade finish may appeal to some, but I don’t really like the “sandblast” frosted look myself. Admitedly the execution is very good... evenly done including the full exposed tang. There is no blade tang stamp. Rather, a faint, golden etch at the top of the choil has the made in USA logo, and in the tangstamp position, in incredibly small text, is etched “FSO152" over “Stainless”. On closer examination it does not appear to be an etch, but a screen print. The bladestock is thinner than the Schrade, and the actual steel is not specified other than “HC Stainless Steel Blade”. 420HC?? It is razor sharp right out of the package with a needle tip.

The handle, rather than trying to copy the age old Sharpfinger brown dyed over cream Delrin, is black delrin, reminding me of the two Peterson Publishing promo knives I have, the 152 “Guns & Ammo”, and 154 “Hunting”. The sawcut is clean and well defined, the (nickle silver?) shield, slightly larger than the “Old Timer” shield, has the copyrighted “Outdoor Life” text, just as you see it on the magazine cover. The two compression rivets are set below flush, a detail I don’t like, but admittedly have seen on the Sharpfingers. Side by side with a Sharpfinger, there are obvious detail differences in the molding of the handle contours, none of which either improve, or degrade the looks or the feel in one’s hand.

All in all, I must admit that it is a good rendition of a Sharpfinger, with enough obvious detail differences in both knife and packaging that a collector can tell the difference. Quality is up there, and it is an American made knife at a very good price. MSRP, according to United’s website, is $49.99, but it is easily found discounted to a much lower price. Or you can nab one off of eBay like I did for less than ten plus shipping. For comparison, the last MSRP on a Schrade 152OT in 2004 was $37.95, but they were to be found for $19-24.

Codger

I also have one of these that I picked up at kmart witch by the way are still avilable for around $14.99 I believe. Anyway I got one of these knives for a user and Like it quite a bit to tell ya the truth not a bad knife at all in my opnion. I thought of doing something custom with the handle to make it a little more unique.-Joel

Back