Outdoors ? Bring a knife !

yes, and also,a quart or more of water, water treatment pills and a filter, some sort of wind and waterproof cover, a means to carry water and gear, cordage and a 2+ ways to start a fire. I wont go more than crawling distance from vehicle or buildings without all 9. If you can't carry 3 lbs of such gear and water, how do you manage to lug around your 20-50 lbs of blubber?

yes, and also,a quart or more of water, water treatment pills and a filter, some sort of wind and waterproof cover, a means to carry water and gear, cordage and a 2+ ways to start a fire. I wont go more than crawling distance from vehicle or buildings without all 9. If you can't carry 3 lbs of such gear and water, how do you manage to lug around your 20-50 lbs of blubber?

You really can't count on water sources to purify, or on trees for shelter/fire. I don't leave home without the aforementionned and at least a gallon of water, ground pad, sleeping bag, bivy bag, tarp, and enough wood for at least two nights. It's just not worth the risk.

Back