Outdoors/Car short ax

K Williams

Gold Member
What is a good choice for an outdoors/survival ax that would be carried in the trunk of a car? Preferably made of carbon steel. Thanks!

Pretty much any under 24" axe or hatchet would do.......

if you have a wood handle, soak it for several weeks in Linseed oil or Tung Oil to seal the pores, then wipe dry and sand smooth with steel wool. Coat with a deck waterproofing liquid. Spray the head with silicone lube spray to prevent rusting. (throw a VCI (vapor corrison inhibitor ) can into the trunk too.

The Estwing foresters axe would be a good choice, all steel.

I think I'd go with the Fiskars 23" chopping axe - easy to maintain, the ones I have work very well, and they are fairly inexpensive (less than $40).

For outdoor work the above mentions are great. For survival I would want something like a firemans axe for prying and such.
The Harbor Freight Firemans hatchet would be good, and at $20 it not a lot of money. But if my life depended on it, I would find a better way to attach the head to the handle. It might never come off, but it seems rather cheap.

I think I'd go with the Fiskars 23" chopping axe - easy to maintain, the ones I have work very well, and they are fairly inexpensive (less than $40).

I was thinking the same thing.

I have a GB Hunter's Axe and a Fiskars 23" - I will have the Fiskars in my truck all the time.

I love my GB but I wouldn't want it in the truck all the time - I wouldn't worry at all about the Fiskars and it mowed through a tree for me the other day. I was happy with its performance - I bought it with truck-intentions.

I only paid around $28 for it compaired to what I paid for the GB. The GB will go on my hiking/camping trips when I start to take my son out when he gets a little older.

I have use and can easily recommend the Fiskars 23". Make sure you look at all of them and find the one with the best edge at the store. I looked through 3 of them to pick mine.

I second the Fiskars, or the Gerber alternative.

Back