outdoorsman and tai pan

sharp_edge

Gold Member
I see some very good prices of the Outdoorsman and Tai Pan (san mei version) floating in the largest rain forest river. Are they good to go with? Specifically, has anyone ever seen any fake Outdoorsman in the wild?

Never heard of a fake Outdoorsman but as metioned, that place has a good return policy. Just make sure when buying that it's "Fullfilled by them".

I see some very good prices of the Outdoorsman and Tai Pan (san mei version) floating in the largest rain forest river. Are they good to go with? Specifically, has anyone ever seen any fake Outdoorsman in the wild?
Just got a Tai Pan from there .

100% correct . Taiwan made but on par with Japan , IMO .

Very nice fit and finish , even grinds etc .

I'm happy !:)

Just got a Tai Pan from there .

100% correct . Taiwan made but on par with Japan , IMO .

Very nice fit and finish , even grinds etc .

I'm happy !:)
Congratulations, at the price I see that's a great deal. I paid much more than that for mine. And the Tai Pans are always well made. Mine is beautifull.

Received Outdoorsman and it looks legit based on all details. Now I am after a Tai Pan san mai. Noticed one dealer says VG-1 San Mai (made in Taiwan) while all pictures of the knife look identical to VG-10 san mai. Is there really still any VG-1 san mai around? I tend to believe it is a typo and I'm checking with the dealer.

Received Outdoorsman and it looks legit based on all details. Now I am after a Tai Pan san mai. Noticed one dealer says VG-1 San Mai (made in Taiwan) while all pictures of the knife look identical to VG-10 san mai. Is there really still any VG-1 san mai around? I tend to believe it is a typo and I'm checking with the dealer.
Maybe a Trailmaster, but not a Tai Pan,I have seen this mistake pretty often.

I bought two Outdoorsman models from the site, since the price was low and I order a lot of crap from them. (Although less and less now, especially knives).

They seem legit and are really nice blades.

Tai Pan san mai's prices are being jacked up fast in the past few days, to the point that it is no longer a good value IMO.

Guys - with $50 price difference, would you buy vg-10 san mai or 3v? I am talking about tai pan.

Guys - with $50 price difference, would you buy vg-10 san mai or 3v? I am talking about tai pan.
The 3V is tougher, harder to sharpen, and less corrosion protection than the San Mai. The 3V is a super steel, San Mai is not. I have Trailmaster in San Mai(Japan) and an old one in Carbon V. You might want to Google the steels for yourself to make an intelligent choice. Good luck and post some pictures if/when you get one.

I have always wondered what value there was to using higher end steels for a dagger. Powder steels are generally harder HRC and have longer edge retention than other steels. I can see their value on signle edged knives. But does the same apply for a dagger design?

I have always wondered what value there was to using higher end steels for a dagger. Powder steels are generally harder HRC and have longer edge retention than other steels. I can see their value on signle edged knives. But does the same apply for a dagger design?
New steels equate with new sales. Most people can't use the "improved" steel"s properties in everyday scenario's. Industrial applications are different, they may appreciate the "improvements".

New steels equate with new sales. Most people can't use the "improved" steel"s properties in everyday scenario's. Industrial applications are different, they may appreciate the "improvements".

Very good point. A maker that already has production of other models with a specific steel type can easily adapt it to another model that may not "need" it but it improves marketability,

Back