Outside-the-Box Chili Ideas...

timberweasel

Platinum Member
So a co-worker is hosting a small gathering in October which will feature a chili contest. It's not a serious competition or anything; it's pretty much just an excuse to be social and maybe have a drink or five. I'm no Master Chef, but I think it might be fun to submit a dish for the contest, and I'd like to try something different from the traditional bowl-and-spoon presentation.

A few ideas I've been considering: chili themed meatloaf, mac & cheese with chili meatballs, crusty loaf bread bowl chili with whipped potato (might be the easiest to pull-off.) Maybe chili flavoured Caesars? o_O Just trying to think of something that stands out from the crowd... 🤔

Comments, suggestions, tips & tricks, and/or other ideas for an outside-the-box chili dish are welcomed! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

-Brett

Chipotle peppers and chocolate are great in chili

Then pour it into a crispy potato skin bowl

Great idea! I do love me some chipotle, too... . Chocolate is a neat idea that I've not heard before in chili; sweet and hot are a great combo.

Thanks, Yoko :cool:

I actually grate in while simmering (add to taste), I also use the adobo sauce in the can of chipotles (I use 2 large cans but I love chipotles , that might be too much)

I also use a barrel aged beer , you get a lot of awesome flavor with that combo

I sometimes put diced Chorizo in my chili. It adds a little spice and a different texture. Be careful, some Chorizo can come across like a hard salami hehe.

You could always get a small bag of Cheetos/Fritos, open the top, pour your chili in, and serve with a spoon.
Use your chili as a topping on tortilla chips and a version of nachos. Grate some cheese on top.

1. 2 1/2 lb. lean chuck, ground
  2. 1 lb. lean pork, ground
  3. 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  4. 1 cup finely chopped onion
  5. 8 oz. hunt’s tomato sauce
  6. 1 cup water
  7. 1 can beer (12 oz.)
  8. 3 Tablespoons chili powder
  9. 2 Tablespoons instant beef bouillon (or 6 cubes)
  10. 2 Tablespoons cumin, ground
  11. 2 teaspoons paprika
  12. 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
  13. 2 teaspoons sugar
  14. 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
  15. 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
  16. 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
  17. 1 teaspoon cornmeal
  18. 1 teaspoon flour
  19. 1 teaspoon warm water

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. In a large saucepan brown 1 1/4 pounds of the ground meat (the beef and the pork), drain the fat.
  2. Remove meat (the beef and the pork). Brown the rest of the ground meat, drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
  3. Add the garlic and onion, cook and stir until tender.
  4. Add the other half of the meat and the tomato sauce, water, beer, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar, coriander, cocoa, and hot sauce. Mix well.
  5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered , for 2 hours.
  6. In a small bowl, stir together the cornmeal and flour, then add the warm water and mix well.
  7. Stir into chili and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.

Well, I tried the meatloaf route. I rolled seasoned ground beef into a rectangle, topped with beans, onion, green pepper and jalapeno, and rolled it into a meatloaf. Crushed tortilla chips on top, baked, then added cheese and green onion.

Turned out ok but I should have sauteed the chopped veg before rolling it all up--still a little too raw. Might have been better if I went for more of a taco (with a little lime and cilantro) than chili flavour. Ah well. I shall continue the research. :)

chililoaf.jpg

I’ve tried a recipe with chocolate (cocoa powder) once and it was pretty good. I also made one that, instead of beer, I used a cup of espresso. Also, instead of ground beef, I sometimes use breakfast sausage. Experimentation is key. Good luck.

Here's the last chili recipe you'll ever need. Note, I skip the roasting and soaking of the chilies and just use my favorite chili powder - no complaints so far.

Serve with fresh Pico de Gallo, cheese and extra chillies. If you want to get creative you could serve it with jalapeño and cheese grits or cheese puffs of some type.

Outside the box?

1 serrano or ancho chili pepper
1/2 ounce simple syrup
5 ounces of gin or vodka
1 ounce of dry vermouth
Ice

Clean the chili and remove the seeds.
In a shaker, muddle the chili with the simple syrup.
Add the gin, vermouth and ice to the shaker.
Shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
Strain into a martini glass.
Garnish with deseeded chili pepper

Back