Oversize Kumar BAS arrives

Rusty

Bill put it up at 10 AM yesterday, and it was at the Post Office at 10 AM today.

Good news and bad news.

Good news:
Excellent workmanship on khuk and scabbard with heavier leather. Oversize handle, thicker blade, butt cap defanged. Karda and chakma quite nice. Handling, balance, general pride of ownership all right up right at the top. Couldn't ask for more at any price let alone for $60 bucks.

Bad news:
To me the BAS moodel in general is like kissing your sister. ( I don't care if she was Playmate of the Year, either - she's still your sister! )

I like them bigger, smaller, heavier, lighter - and this one is almost different enough to make it into the "other" category. But I'm not giving up on it yet. I may grow to love this one in spite of myself.

Don't let me dissuade any of you from picking up a BAS. I went thru the same thing with S&W K frame 38's for a while there. Not exotic enough for me. Now I appreciate them for what they are once more - which is nearly unimprovable, if a bit of a plain jane.

Had a model 66 with 4" barrel, cusom grips, and a sweet action job.
Operative word is "had". Woe is me, seems we get smarter as we get older if we just pay attention.

Sarge

Would you believe I recently got a pinned and recessed 4" Model 19 with 100% blue INSIDE the barrel? Apparently got out of the factory unfired, best my gunsmith can tell. 25 odd years old and still tight as the day it left the factory. ;)

Oh that's one fine fix your in Rusty, got a gun that's too nice to shoot and too nice not too!

Sarge

Originally posted by Sylvrfalcn
Oh that's one fine fix your in Rusty, got a gun that's too nice to shoot and too nice not too!

Sarge

Kinda like having a knife too pretty to use, ainnit?;)

I have to agree that some knifes and guns are too valuable to shoot or cut with and are simply investment pieces, trouble is is you can only believe what someone tells you they should be.

I once had an old NIB Shakespeare Level Wind Casting Reel that was about 25 years old or so, the kind that used the old braided line.
I put new 15 pound test line on it, put it on a decent rod and tried casting it. Dayumed thing wouldn't go where you wanted it too. I tried it on several different rods and had a couple of friends try it as well, it musta been defective because it wasn't just me.
On the other hand I wore one old Langley reel out and lucked into having one just like it given too me several years ago. Haven't used it in a while but it's a dream, goes where you want it every time and only when you aren't paying attention does it backlash on you.
Just goes to show that the proof is in the using unless it's for investment purposes.:)

There's a case full of old Cap & Ball Colts up at Woolaroc in
"as new" condition that I would dearly love to put a few rounds through!!!!
I've only seen one "Six Gun Rifle" in the movies and often wondered about it until I saw all of them in this case.
A fella has to wonder what it would be like to have a .44 or .45 Colt that fires 6 rounds up against his shoulder.:)

Kinda hafta wonder what they're worth?
As well as wonder if I would find out if I had one.:eek:

I found an NRA 99.5 condition blue S@W 38 target, 6" with the exposed cylinder eject and half shroud, deep blue...target hammer and trigger. I took it out of the pawn shop for 235 dollars 2 years ago. This was the gun that got me in trouble with the wife. She'd just given birth and I proudly submitted the pawn pick me up while she sat in the hospital bed.
I then muttered the words every man wishes he'd never said: "I'll never buy another gun."

Rusty, I cut the sharp corner off my BAS handle and liked it a lot better, despite it's small size. I don't have large hands but that handle is small.

munk

Rusty's been "desensitized"...;)

where's the love, man? ;)

Kinda like having a knife too pretty to use, ainnit? --YVSA

Yeah. like my YCS! Maybe I'll give, since it wants to be carried an all that.

ROB: I was with ya all da way on that one. Heeh hee!

Keith

Originally posted by MauiRob

well that's just, well, nevermind;) :D

An old friend of mine told me his mate said "A "real man" wouldn't know if the gun was any looser than it was when it left the factory.":rolleyes: :p

An old friend of mine told me his mate said "A "real man" wouldn't know if the gun was any looser than it was when it left the factory

:DROTFLMAO:D:D I didn't get it the first time I read it then I laughed my a** off!

Good thing I got a 4" 357 Model 28 Highway Patrolman the month before. It's had a very few lead 38's sent downrange but needs a few hundred more jacketed or hardcast to polish out the toolmarks still left in the barrel. Smirk!

Back to khuks, after two days of fondling, I'm starting to think the oversized BAS just might turn into a "kissing cousin" pretty soon.

( Maybe match it - big Bas - with the Mod 19, and the WW2 with the Mod 28. Now that could work! )

Rusty, do you have a 5" Highway patrolman? Just wondering....friend of mine always trades for those....he went crazy for them... what I want is an old hand fit model 27 with the etch marks down the sight ramp on top of the barrel...
What are you, a dealer?

I like your idea of matching some choice packing guns to their Khukuri brothers. I have a 4" nickel 57. I can't brag how cherry it is anymore..but it will put cylinder after cylinder into a golf ball size circle at 25 yards, until there's a hole in the paper.

munk

Founder of the Family, Friends, Firearms forum "Gunslinger" Bill Elliot was a 41 fancier and Cowboy Action shooter. He passed away and was buried 5/17 at 2 PM Missouri time.

Oddly enough the Ghost Town of Bodie heard a volley of 6 41 rounds at about that time. The culprit apparently beat feet and made it over a 4wd only trail and across the state line into Nevada before he was caught.

You understand this is all hearsay, right?

yeah..those Nevadians..disrupting the lawful communtiy and scaring the mt lion kitties of Calif to boot.

I've got 3 .41's...can't help it...can't help the .45 Colt, gotta have at least one...only have a little ruger 4 5/8 now...sob..

one thing about a .41 volley... no mistaking the sound

munk

My model 29 is almost cherry. Love that 4" .44 Mag. My wife keeps a Mod 14 6" target .38 on her side of the bed. That Mexican can shoot hell out of it too. She likes the plus p's.:D :D

Back