Owl Head

Anyone know anything about Owl Head brand knives? They are stamped with Munich Ironworks, but I'm very sceptical.

From what I've read , the new ones are made in China, but at one time were made in Germany.

The current crop compare in quality to Rough Rider.

Thanks. There's a number up for sale claiming to be both German & new. I've one on it's way to me from the US so we'll see.

Thanks. There's a number up for sale claiming to be both German & new. I've one on it's way to me from the US so we'll see.

Yes, I see there are quite a few on ebay claiming to be made in Germany.

I'd be interested to know what you get too, please post the outcome here....

I shall do. I only made the purchase yesterday so with international payment and stuff I don't expect to see it for a few weeks.

There's no way they can sell for around $15 new consistently on Ebay and still be made in Germany. I have a stockman pattern I just acquired. It's like the other Chinese brands like Rough Rider or Steel Warrior or U.S. Classic. I like mine.

Today I recieved the "German" Owl Head congress. It's a good-looking knife, but compared to the 2 Soligen-made knives I have, this one is way below the grade. It's lightweight in every sense of the term. Plastic handle scales complete with one bit of waste from the moulding process which needed removing. Nickle silver bolsters and rivets (3 per scale). Softish, but adequate springs. Good cutting edges on unpolished blades. These blades are thinner than my Soligen knives and the longest are only 2" which seems short for a 3.5" handle. Having said that, it's my first congress and so that may be the norm. The Owl Head & Munich Ironworks tang stamps are there as are two which say "oil the joints". I've been over it with a magnifying glass (literally) and can find no clue as to where it was actually made. I prefer my Steel Warrior for quality and like my Marbles it is happy to declare its provenance - China.
Incidentally, Google reveals some iron works in Munich but not a "Munich Ironworks".
Does it make the grade for my collection? Yes, because it's a traditional pattern, an interesting enigma and though not great quality, it's not rubbish either. Also the Owl is the traditional symbol for the city of Leeds in West Yorkshire, where we lived for 27+ years & raised the family.
How would it stand up to use? Don't know.
Would I be happy if someone bought one for me as a gift? It's the thought that counts.
Would I buy another one? No.
David

I saw a bunch of them on Ebay while browsing for pocket knives. In a few close-up shots , I noticed a similarity between the OH knives and a Smith & Wesson Sowbelly I bought last year. The blades are not polished and the bolsters are almost identical. The springs are a little week on the smaller blades , but strong on the main blade.
But you're correct the Steel Warrior knives are very well made.

If you want to get a really impressive knife for little money , try a Rough Rider large stockman ( 4 1/4 inches) with the black lip pearl scales. It's one of my favorite knives from any manufacturer I own.

I can post a picture if you're interested...

Here's a picture

I'm bad with cameras and scanners, the blades are actually polished.

RR3.jpg

Thanks JPD, nice looking knife, but the bolsters on the Owl Head don't have the line and the blades are not polished. The only thing that gets me is the claim that they're German & the anonimity so that we don't know the truth. For me the issue is only about quality. I'm happy with a Chinese made knife if the quality's good. What have these guy's got to hide? Why be ashamed of where the knife is made? Well, I'll not be losing any sleep over it. THanks again. David

Yes , this one isn't similar at all, I'm just impressed with the overall quality. I figured if you wanted to get any Rough Rider knives, here's an example of a good one....

A knife I do have that's similar to the OH is a Smith & Wesson sowbelly.

But you're correct it does appear that the Ebay ads are trying to deceive.

Sorry JPD I should have read your last post more carefully. THe RR really does look good. As to the OH, I was taught to be cautious & charitable. The charitable view is that the vendor believes there's a good chance that a knife with Munich Ironworks on the tang is German. I could ask him, but I reckon his response will be totally predictable. I got a brand new Case limited edition stockman from the same source and it's a real beauty at a great price.My next step is to look into Rough Rider. Thanks again for your help & compared to me your good with a camera. David.

Yes , this one isn't similar at all, I'm just impressed with the overall quality. I figured if you wanted to get any Rough Rider knives, here's an example of a good one....

A knife I do have that's similar to the OH is a Smith & Wesson sowbelly.

But you're correct it does appear that the Ebay ads are trying to deceive.

:) Well JPD1998, on your advice I bought my first Rough Rider and it arrived the other day. It's a 4" trapper with green bone scales and you're right. The quality is very good indeed. I'm delighted with it. Thanks for the tip. It cost me $7.50 plus the same again p & p. Total cost was about £8.00 as the exchange rate is so good for us in the UK at the moment when we shop in the US. Thanks again. Best regards. David.

Glad to hear you liked the knife.

I have quite a few of their knives and I'm still amazed by the quality whenever I use one of them.

Another good brand is Steel Warrior, but they tend to cost a little more.

Well good luck in your future purchases.

Back