Owning one pocket knife

My father is the mystical "one knife for life" guy. He's had the same Victorinox Camper SAK for probably over 40 years. The blades are so worn that they stick out past the scales when closed. That SAK is his pocket knife. That's it.

That SAK of his has been on pretty much every family holiday and every camping trip as far back as I can remember. Us knife enthusiasts think Victorinox steel is slack in the edge retention department, but he thinks it's great steel. It does what he needs it to do. To cut. It keeps an edge long enough for his needs. In fact, he thinks highly of the edge retention of Victorinox steel... I would say he's the average knife user. He just sees a sharp tool that is used to cut stuff. He's also had the same bait knife that he's used for fishing for over 30 years. It's probably about two thirds of its original width from years of sharpening.

My father thinks I'm crazy for owning a bunch of knives. He once asked me why I would need more than one knife. I didn't have a convincing answer for him. I can't have just one pocket knife, but I envy him for his ability to go through decades with the same pocket knife. We get carried away with this hobby

Would be interesting to hear your stories of these "one knife" people if you know any

I love SAKs; don't know that I could have just one but SAKs are very high on the list of must-haves.

That being said, although I've done it (once!), you can field dress a deer with a SAK, but it's certainly not the preferred tool for the job.

That being said, I put a SAK in my pocket - even a medium or larger one and almost forget it's there until I need it. I can't say the same about my AD-10. Looking back, there have been days where I've used the SAK's toothpick or tweezers more than I've used the blade of my "primary" folder de jour.

I can do (and have done) things with my larger folders that I should not have done but the knife I use for splitting kindling isn't the best at more dainty tasks - and vice versa.

Then there's the whole pride of ownership "pocket jewelry" thing. I generally prefer utilitarian styled folders but do like my Boker Squail and Sebenza from time to time. I won't loan them but one of my old Cold Steel (AUS-8) Voyagers can be handed to a buddy without concern.

Both of the places I call home are on salt water. I am in, on or around salt water a lot! The Spyderco Pacific Salt is my go-to but when I go camping I much prefer the AD1-10 or 4-Max.

Could one knife do all of this? Sure; but not as well, not as comfortably, efficiently or fun. Being a one knife guy is not easy; buying way more knives than one needs it. Kudos to your father ... and you for sharing.

That being said, although I've done it (once!), you can field dress a deer with a SAK, but it's certainly not the preferred tool for the job.

That being said, I put a SAK in my pocket - even a medium or larger one and almost forget it's there until I need it. I can't say the same about my AD-10. Looking back, there have been days where I've used the SAK's toothpick or tweezers more than I've used the blade of my "primary" folder de jour.

I can do (and have done) things with my larger folders that I should not have done but the knife I use for splitting kindling isn't the best at more dainty tasks - and vice versa.

Then there's the whole pride of ownership "pocket jewelry" thing. I generally prefer utilitarian styled folders but do like my Boker Squail and Sebenza from time to time. I won't loan them but one of my old Cold Steel (AUS-8) Voyagers can be handed to a buddy without concern.

Both of the places I call home are on salt water. I am in, on or around salt water a lot! The Spyderco Pacific Salt is my go-to but when I go camping I much prefer the AD1-10 or 4-Max.

Could one knife do all of this? Sure; but not as well, not as comfortably, efficiently or fun. Being a one knife guy is not easy; buying way more knives than one needs it. Kudos to your father ... and you for sharing.
I've skinned two buck with a Victorinox Waiter SAK before (it was the only sharp knife around). That 2 inch blade never felt too short for some reason. SAKs are capable tools. I like my SAKs. I always have one close by. When I'm in the office I'll have a SAK in my pocket since it barely raises an eyebrow in use, but if I'm not in the office then I have a one hand opening folder clipped to my pocket. The one hand openers are just so much more convenient to me. If I had to I could live with one pocket knife, but I find no joy in that. Experiencing different things in life is what makes it fun

E emjay There is wisdom in your Fathers logic. I have a large assortment of what many consider the greatest EDC knives yet a Victorinox Farmer is what gets carried most often.
Ebv4Xl0.jpg

I have exactly one Milwaukee hole hog drill, itā€™s a work tool that is needed in my line of work. When it breaks, itā€™ll get repaired or replaced. Knives are tools also, but I collect as a hobby and enjoy the variety of knives. I know several folks that have only one knife. Theyā€™re weird :oops:, but they think I am too for having so many knives.

My father was one of those mythical one knife guys. His whole life, from just before WW2 to the 1970's, he carried a Case peanut. It had been a gift from his mother on leaving home to go off to college and he carried it until he was old enough that his arthritis in his hands made it hard for him to open. Then he switched to a little Christy knife until his passing.

From my early 20's to my late 50's I was a two knife guys with a Buck stockman and a Victorinox SAK. Then the knife nut bug hit and I was all over the cutlery map. Some years ago the knife bug faded and I sold off/gave away most my collection. Now I'm a 4 knife guy. I doubt I'll ever be a one knife guy, even though I realize that a SAK pioneer is really all I need.

He once asked me why I would need more than one knife. I didn't have a convincing answer for him.

Simple answer is they're a want, not a need. He's not "into" knives, so to him it's just a tool, and why get another one when this one still works?

May also be a generational thing...having more than one was a luxury that many couldn't afford "back then". My wife's parents lived through the rationing of WWII...they don't throw anything away.

Also, things didn't change as fast as they do now, so there was no need to chase the latest and greatest.

My father is the mystical "one knife for life" guy. He's had the same Victorinox Camper SAK for probably over 40 years. The blades are so worn that they stick out past the scales when closed. That SAK is his pocket knife. That's it.

That SAK of his has been on pretty much every family holiday and every camping trip as far back as I can remember. Us knife enthusiasts think Victorinox steel is slack in the edge retention department, but he thinks it's great steel. It does what he needs it to do. To cut. It keeps an edge long enough for his needs. In fact, he thinks highly of the edge retention of Victorinox steel... I would say he's the average knife user. He just sees a sharp tool that is used to cut stuff. He's also had the same bait knife that he's used for fishing for over 30 years. It's probably about two thirds of its original width from years of sharpening.

My father thinks I'm crazy for owning a bunch of knives. He once asked me why I would need more than one knife. I didn't have a convincing answer for him. I can't have just one pocket knife, but I envy him for his ability to go through decades with the same pocket knife. We get carried away with this hobby

Would be interesting to hear your stories of these "one knife" people if you know any

I have encountered a number of "one knife" people, some of whom were a little too judgmental about others' choices!

The key word in your father's question is "need." I assert that the premise of the question is flawed. The concept of "need" isn't applicable unless your knife acquisitions somehow adversely affect your life or deprive your family of some other important resources. It's not about need! Most of us probably don't need even one knife. We could get through life with a pair of scissors or a sharp rock. Most of us also don't want to live that way. If you like knives and you can afford to acquire what you want, the "want" is more than sufficient.

I do many things in life that are not based on need, but rather on simple want/choice. It makes my life better.

Once upon a time I was a one knife guy but then I discovered this forum and have been chasing the holy grail since then.
I would have been content with that one knife (Buck 110) Thank you internet:(
Iā€™m calling shenanigans on that one!! You had the bug already- admit it!! ā€œ...content with one knife...ā€???? No sir - we on the interthreads might be very responsible for how EXPENSIVE your knives are, but you canā€™t blame us for your polyknifism. šŸ˜œ

My accumulation started by always thinking there was something better. I usually come full circle to my old Buck 110.

I do miss the simplicity of having 1 knife.

Something to be said about ā€œgrabbing my knife and my gunā€ on the way out the door

As opposed to ā€œwhich knife? Which gun?ā€ Followed by ā€œI canā€™t decideā€. Even though there really is no bad choice.

My Dad was a 1 knife guy to a point. He had different types but only one of each.

1 SAK
1 Whittler
1 folding Hunter
1 Hunting knife
1 pairing knife
1 Butcher knife.
1 Cleaver

That was it, and he was a ā€œknife guy.ā€

I didnā€™t have a chance. I grew up on a farm and ranch and my dad was a diy jack of all trades wwll veteran so he had knives for lots of different uses.
I had only one knife at a time until I was around 13-14 yo when I started fishing more on my own and camping out.
At first it was a stockman with 3 blades and then a fixed blade fishing knife. Then later a multi tool gift from my uncle. After that itā€™s a blur. šŸ˜† so having only one knife is an odd thought and havenā€™t the slightest clue for such reasoning šŸ˜

I never had a chance.lol.
I grew up about 45 minutes from anywhere, in southern Louisiana. On a farm outside of a very small town.
Fun was hunting and target practice.
We had a tv and vhs. Most of the movies we watched were rented copies of Crocodile Dundee, Rambo, Predator, Tremors... If you didn't know, a common theme to all these movies is an action adventure with a hero who carries a big knife. I was basically taught from the time I was born that a knife was necessary equipment. For utility, self defense and wilderness survival.
Most of the men I had for role models were military, law enforcement and/or general prepers and survivalist, back before it was cool or had forums.
By the time I was 10 my edc was a Gerber LST and a Leatherman PST II. Anything less than one good strong knife and a multi-tool feels weird to me.

My Dad taught me about Spyderco when I was a kid. Still have the old Ladybug I got at a gun show in Alexandria at 6 years old.

Back