Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike this summer

Agh! I was looking for more pics, and all I get is a bunch of hillbillies gloating and rubbing it in, how they got to hang out with Mr. and Mrs. Tradja. :rolleyes:
And only one of them bothers to post pics...

Jeez, what is this thread coming too?

Well, glad you guys had fun anyways, hope the rest of your trip goes well, and as always, I'm anxiously awaiting for new pics and updates.:thumbup:
What did somebody say earlier about vicariously???

get it right we are hiker trash. nomads to be exact.

Looks great John:thumbup: At least a part of me got to make this journey:D Wish I could have been with you guys. That trip looks, just amazing.

Thanks for posting all those pics.

Nick:)

Methinks mayhaps to answer your question may require a deeper understanding of just exactly what one means by "dangerous" and "crazy" in this context... :eek:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but those were not all my knives (just sayin').

Truly amazing work on the "Washington" Knife BTW; nicely done :thumbup: !!

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Took me a few days to recover from the pointed puns. ARGH. :D :D

Nice collection!

The LBK there should get some decent use going north, I'm really eager to get reports, as always.

Looks great John:thumbup: At least a part of me got to make this journey:D Wish I could have been with you guys. That trip looks, just amazing.

Thanks for posting all those pics.

Nick:)
Thanks for making a great knife, Nick! :thumbup:

Great visit by a charming couple - Very good to meet you two!!
They came over to grab a couple of showers, and hang out in the yard for a bit.

Good to meet BOOMSTICK, and hang out again with SnakeDoc and 360joules.
Even got to fondle Tradja's "Washington" Knife:

Oh and; there were a few other knives there... Tradja's turn to fondle:

Couldn't help but notice my Howling Rat seems to have stowed away; hope it serves you well!

Wish the visit could have been longer, and look forward to meeting up with you good folks again!
Kathleen and I wish you the best of luck, and a Great, GREAT rest of the Hike!!

Gotta agree with 360joules: "... truly envious."

Cheers,
Thanks 8! It was really great to meet you finally. We've both been talking about the Cascade Locks get-together since. We look forward to getting together with y'all in the future.

River-8 and Kathleen have a SWEET south-facing lot overlooking the Columbia Gorge. Thanks for the hospitality and the Howling Rat loaner! Your fatwood-locating demo was an epiphany as well. I quickly found a bunch of it (only below 2000ft so far) and it has been very useful in this week's rain. I gotta ask: what brand firesteel is the one you loaned me? It really sparks hot!

Boomer showed up at the trailhead with a cooler full of Snickers, fruit, Gatorade, etc, and restocked me on critical duct tape and paracord. Having hiked most of the trail in 99, he knows what hikers need!

Took me a few days to recover from the pointed puns. ARGH. :D :D

Nice collection!

The LBK there should get some decent use going north, I'm really eager to get reports, as always.
Yeah, River-8 has quite the assortment of enviable steel! The LBK is a champ -- pics to follow.

Agh! I was looking for more pics, and all I get is a bunch of hillbillies gloating and rubbing it in, how they got to hang out with Mr. and Mrs. Tradja. :rolleyes:
And only one of them bothers to post pics...

Jeez, what is this thread coming too?

Well, glad you guys had fun anyways, hope the rest of your trip goes well, and as always, I'm anxiously awaiting for new pics and updates.:thumbup:
What did somebody say earlier about vicariously???
Ok, ok, here we go::D Tonight we are at Snoqualmie Pass, WA at the lovely Howard Johnsons Summit Inn for the evening. We are not "hotel people", but it was our 6 year anniversary on Saturday and it's been raining since shortly after we left River-8's place. It is really roughing it: the restaurant is closed for renovation and the hot tub is down. :mad: We're doing mostly 27-mile days to get to Stevens Pass by Thursday night to catch our flight to that wedding, then back to the trail on Sunday to finish up the last 200 miles/8 days. I'll be online this weekend.

Let's see; where did I leave off. Oh yeah, northern CA. Since then, I carried the Scott Gossman UFK (Utility Field Knife) and Murray Carter Neck Knife the length of Oregon (and a bit of NorCal). Both have been excellent, lightweight camp/trail companions.

Let me get this posted while the photos upload and before the hotel lobby PC times out. The next several posts will be mostly pics...

The start of blackberry season!
IMGP7352-1.jpg

The Trinity Alps:
IMGP7384.jpg

The Rising Wolf at a typical lunch break:
IMGP7393.jpg

Sunset in the Siskiyous:
IMGP7462.jpg

Another vintage trail blade:
IMGP7469.jpg

Trading out shoes at Seiad Valley:
IMGP7517.jpg

Lazy-night bug-bet "bivy" setup:
IMGP7519.jpg

IMGP7522.jpg

Using a ubiquitous corn lily leaf to collect water out of a seep:
IMGP7529.jpg

My expert tracking skills tell me that water is near...
IMGP7540.jpg

Another variation on the bug-bivy setup:
IMGP7550.jpg

Yay! Oregon at last!
IMGP7551.jpg

The Oregon knives:
Gossman UFK:
IMGP7554.jpg

Murray Carter necker:
IMGP7557.jpg

Tarp setup on a saddle in southern OR:
IMGP7569.jpg

Lava. Lots of it. The short story of the PCT in OR/WA:
IMGP7608.jpg

Gossman LFK at lunch. One great thing about this knife is that the usable blade is LOOOONG enough to get to the bottom of the PB jar, and when it gets there, it has more than a needle point to scrape with. Awesome, thoughtful camp design.
IMGP7618.jpg

IMGP7623.jpg

IMGP7629.jpg

IMGP7632.jpg

Still having fun!
IMGP7790.jpg

Late-season lupine:
IMGP7792.jpg

Our last moquitoey night, in the Three Sisters Wilderness:
IMGP7807.jpg

Gear! Our trusty, fancy water containers:
IMGP7651.jpg

Sisters Wilderness, South Sister:
IMGP7773.jpg

Near Thielsen Peak:
IMGP7641.jpg

Crater Lake:
IMGP7667.jpg

Typical swampy southern OR water collection, way out on a log in a 6-inch deep swamp:
IMGP7763.jpg

Stuart Falls, the day we got lost and ended up 3 miles off the PCT. Never would have seen these falls otherwise!
IMGP7654.jpg

Lava approaching MacKenzie Pass:
IMGP7823.jpg

The big fire just west of Mackenzie Pass:
IMGP7834.jpg

Lava and smoke. Like Mordor!
IMGP7857.jpg

IMGP7860.jpg

North of Santiam Pass:
IMGP7863.jpg

The start of huckleberry season!
IMGP7880.jpg

Three Fingered Jack:
IMGP7893.jpg

Smoky sunset:
IMGP7898.jpg

Oh good! Rain!
IMGP7911.jpg

"Little Crater Lake", a deep spring near the trail:
IMGP7935.jpg

Lava and clouds. This is Oregon!
IMGP7941.jpg

A break in the weather on Mt. Hood:
IMGP7961.jpg

The Gossman UFK:
IMGP7964.jpg

Side canyon on Mt. Hood. Amazing!
IMGP7977.jpg

IMGP7982.jpg

IMGP7983.jpg

Ramona Falls:
IMGP8001.jpg

Swipe at Tunnel Falls. Yes, the trail goes BEHIND the falls!
IMGP8040.jpg

High tarp setup on the Eagle Falls trail:
IMGP8056.jpg

Would YOU get into a vehicle with these men? :D (THANKS to River-8, River-7, Boomer, 360joules, and Snakedoc)
IMGP8068.jpg

Everyone's knives at the get-together:
IMGP8075.jpg

Collecting fatwood with the Koyote LBK:
IMGP8100.jpg

IMGP8101.jpg

Thimbleberries!
IMGP8104.jpg

Warmin' up and dryin' out:
IMGP8122.jpg

Ultra-fashionable Dri Duck rainsuit in MT. Ranier National Park:
IMGP8188.jpg

IMGP8192.jpg

Crossing Packwood Glacier in the Goat Rocks Wilderness:
IMGP8198.jpg

Goat Rocks Wilderness:
IMGP8209.jpg

Last edited:
Not just a burly chopper, the LBK's beautiful convex grind is sharp. Here we are addressing a rotten, shattered toenail with aplomb:
IMGP8228.jpg

Drying out:
IMGP8231.jpg

Sheep Lake north of Chinook Pass. A break in the weather!!!
IMGP8246.jpg

My current fatwood stash:
IMGP8249.jpg

Finally Rainer is "out"
IMGP8263.jpg

Good looking steel!
IMGP8265.jpg

IMGP8287.jpg

Now we're talk'n!

What a beautiful section! One of my favorites so far.
"little crater lake", is the water really that clear?! Or is it just an illusion? Almost looks like you could see 30+ feet through that water.

Man, you just made my day.

P.S. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!

awesome pics John(and Jess)... looks like an amazing trip...:) thanks for sharing..

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY too.. the misses and I, recently celebrated one ourselves..

Now we're talk'n!

What a beautiful section! One of my favorites so far.
"little crater lake", is the water really that clear?! Or is it just an illusion? Almost looks like you could see 30+ feet through that water.

Man, you just made my day.

P.S. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Yep, the water's really that clear. I took that one thru my wife's polarized shades, but in person it's really like that. I have some unpolarized pics I'll post this weekend. Thanks for checking out the latest!

awesome pics John(and Jess)... looks like an amazing trip...:) thanks for sharing..

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY too.. the misses and I, recently celebrated one ourselves..

Thanks Mike and CONGRATULATIONS to you and J. We'll be in Bonny Doon tbs Saturday for the wedding, then back to the trail. We'll be back in Santa Cruz in late October for a longer visit. Hope to see you then.

Thanks Mike and CONGRATULATIONS to you and J. We'll be in Bonny Doon tbs Saturday for the wedding, then back to the trail. We'll be back in Santa Cruz in late October for a longer visit. Hope to see you then.

thanks John... sounds good.. looking forward to seeing you folks again...:) i'll make you 2 a nice home cooked dinner...:D

safe travels..:thumbup:

Thanks for continuing to share your journey!! It was great to get together with y'all.

Take care and have a safe trip.

:)

Back