Paddling into 2015

Taldesta, cutting that submerged tree was one hell of a lot of work.

Like the trailer Michael. Should work for you. It really sucks getting older with all the health issues that develop over a lifetime.

These pictures are making me itch to hit the water. Been pretty lazy lately.... no water sports, no shooting, no hiking.....

Taldesta, cutting that submerged tree was one hell of a lot of work.

Like the trailer Michael. Should work for you. It really sucks getting older with all the health issues that develop over a lifetime.

These pictures are making me itch to hit the water. Been pretty lazy lately.... no water sports, no shooting, no hiking.....

Hey - thanks for noticing! But ...no water sports, no shooting, no hiking ... be way kinder to yourself and soak up life, please ...:)

I cannot claim great strength at my age. We all need to think long ... and work to our best, but most often it comes to leverage and planning for leverage. No great skill on my end
Like this last removal ... the bulk was an easy float ... but the strainer ends were caught high and dry on land ... the pinch on the saw blade was predictable. I tried notching the cut to get the small pry bar in but the wood was too punky to be used as leverage against itself.

129%20TRAILBLAZER%20JAM%201%20ST%20LOG%20750%20MED_zpsc8x9puqz.jpg

I could not stand on the logs I was cutting so I worked the canoe rope under the pinching log and up over the next. I pushed the canoe bow down hard and held the rope fast under foot ... canoe buoyancy lifting the pinching log to free the saw blade.

Whoa. I can't tell of the relief when something works like this.

132%20TRAILBLAZER%20FREE%20CANOE%20FLOAT%20750%20MED_zpsonyafduo.jpg

Very tricky guiding this bulk on the current through a very small opening between the far bank and the top branches of the fallen maple ... branchy, grabby

185%20STRAINERS%20TWO%20ROPES%20THROUGH%20750%20MED_zpsx7180gpm.jpg

How long it takes us mortals to set nature on the path we prefer. I am thinking long and hard as to how much of the fallen maple I feel obliged to leave in order to hold nature on her natural path as best as I am able.

Food for thought.
Susan

Last edited:
Susan,

Holy moly! What a job and you accomplished a lot there!

Here is my opinion. Grin.

I would leave part or MOST of the fallen maple there!

Haul away what NEEDS to be done so you can continue to swim and paddle SAFELY and leave the rest alone. Let nature handle the rest of it! Besides it is PART of your landscape and history. It ADDS to the scenery, gives you a bit of shade even though it is down, adds to your land value, and your dogs will enjoy it there too. So will some other creatures!

I would ASK someone for help if you can't remove what HAS to be removed for River Safety and for your own personal safety. You don't want to hurt yourself in any way and not only with a knife or saw.

You may want to plant something there for shore erosion as you mentioned here or in the other thread. I would keep it VERY simple myself.

I planted native grass seed (Suitable for my climate not yours in another zone.) close to my water rights ditch and left the rest of it on the OTHER SIDE go all natural with what was there. I did clean up a lot and brought it back to LIFE. I would use native grasses or something like that and let some of the area GROW TALL-HIGH where you do not walk/explore and only mow where you have to keep a CLEAR-SAFE PATH. The native grasses and any other greenery that would work there will keep your maintenance level LOW and it will shore up the banks in any season. The seeds will spread on their own and ALL of that greenery will do very well with your annual rain and snowfall in your climate.

Take care!

Cate
PS: You are right about what you can or can't move alone at any age. Been there - done that!

Typos!

Last edited:
BFT, splint that gunnel with a section of split and bolted thru Sch 40 PVC pipe until you can fix it right. That should keep it from flexing and splitting the hull at the break. That pipe rips just fine with a coarse circular saw blade, pipe held between a pair of 2x4's to keep it from rolling.

I may have to try that.

I have a manager of one of the big hardware stores here who is a friend. He said he thought he could get me in a white ash board, and could cut strips to size for me. I may try to do a full replacement with ash. If not, I can still order the split/knock down sets.

My biggest problem is getting the gumption up to try it.

I hauled my canoe from WA down to Provo, UT. But alas, life happened. We were scheduled to be there for 9 days, and I planned on a paddle with my father in law.

However, on the 1st (my birthday), my brother in law (youngest in wife's family), committed suicide. We were in the middle of moving mother in law out, and up to WA. In the midst of that move, packing up the whole house the family had to plan and execute a funeral and burial.

I drove a 26 food moving van back up to WA 14 hours on the 4th of July, worked a day, then flew back down (picking United, of course, on the day everything they touched was garbage due to computer problems). I ended up being delayed two times, and spending 15 hours in the airport. Getting back in at 2am night before the funeral. We then had to drive the next day 8 hours to the family plot.

Just got back home, after driving a trailer up here. I believe I have traveled some where around 5000 miles, and been on the road or in the airport for 5 days!

I bought new paddles, and a life vest and some other gear before everything went wrong. I still hope to get out this summer.

Ouch! I totally understand about life getting in the way of paddling plans. Sounds like you have had your hands full and then some. Yah, it they can cut some strips for you and if you can make a proper scarf joint, that may be the way to go. Otherwise it would be a lot less time consuming to buy them pre-made and profiled.

Ouch! I totally understand about life getting in the way of paddling plans. Sounds like you have had your hands full and then some. Yah, it they can cut some strips for you and if you can make a proper scarf joint, that may be the way to go. Otherwise it would be a lot less time consuming to buy them pre-made and profiled.

One of my friends manages the closest big box hardware store, and said he would be happy to order the board in if he could find what I want. He said it would be no problem to cut it to my desired width of strips.

Not sure I can do a proper scarf joint. I'm not a grown up (and by that I mean, I have no real tools). But my brother lives three houses down, and he is a grown up (by that I mean he has lots of tools). If not, my dad lives a few miles and has more grown up tools.

Mostly, I may have trouble completing the project, so am a bit hesitant to start it!

Just got back from a week in the BWCA:

In this:

Isn't that the beauty you finished up last fall? As I plunk along in my old aluminum stand-by, it is always great to see an absolute work of art
like this.

Your scenics look like your travels took you through some very remote wilderness :thumbup:

I'm not a grown up (and by that I mean, I have no real tools). But my brother lives three houses down, and he is a grown up (by that I mean he has lots of tools). If not, my dad lives a few miles and has more grown up tools.

Mostly, I may have trouble completing the project, so am a bit hesitant to start it!

Sounds like you deserve one of those million star accommodations, camped on the quiet shore of a waterway away from it all ... scouts or family in ... tow ... like you've posted in Paddling before. Hey, take your brother or dad ;)

Best of luck with your project ...

Only problem with me and my dad, or brother in the canoe is it is really sitting low! Lots of weight there!

I haven't been canoeing in ages.

After a year of research, I finally took a bite and bought myself a used Bell Morningstar and put in the water. That was back in '09.

Then I hung the canoe from the rafters and haven't been on the water since. Between my weight and my knee, sitting and kneeling in a canoe for any length of time is an absolute bear. There's just no way for me to get comfortable, and the canoe sits embarrassingly low in the water! :eek:

Hopefully, I'll be able to drop a few pounds and take a river trip with my nephew this fall. I promised him that if he read Robinson Crusoe's adventures, we'd go on an overnight river trip, so it will be interesting to see if he holds up his end of the bargain.

IMG_2293.jpg

Got my buddy in a canoe to do some fishin. He's more of a boat-n-motor guy. Out fished me. :D
We just went for a short three day trip in the Ely area and fished, napped, paddled, and sat around camp telling war stories from our past. Good times.:thumbup:

Trolling for bluegill.

Anyone using flotation bags in their canoes?

I picked up some really bright yellow bags and am thinking about installing them so I can do more solo stuff. The downside is that horribly bright yellow! If you thought the sun reflecting off the water was bad, you should try hanging out with these guys! :eek:

I'm thinking that some of that krylon that's formulated for plastic/nylon might work to tone the bags down a bit. Maybe paint them green to match my canoe. Not sure.

Of course, I've never used flotation bags before and don't have a clue how useful or necessary they are.

Anyone using flotation bags in their canoes?

I picked up some really bright yellow bags and am thinking about installing them so I can do more solo stuff. The downside is that horribly bright yellow! If you thought the sun reflecting off the water was bad, you should try hanging out with these guys! :eek:

I'm thinking that some of that krylon that's formulated for plastic/nylon might work to tone the bags down a bit. Maybe paint them green to match my canoe. Not sure.

Of course, I've never used flotation bags before and don't have a clue how useful or necessary they are.

Most modern canoes have some sort of built in floatation so that a swamped canoe doesn't sink totally. The idea of air bags is that it excludes a lot of water capacity so the canoe floats higher if swamped, leaving it somewhat maneuverable and lessening the chances of a catastrophic broach in moving water. As to yellow, that color is pretty much white in absorbing solar heat which expands the air inside in the sun. Darker colors absorb more. Mine are red and pretty much black to the sun. I have to underinflate them because of that. But you can change the color by buying nylon material at a sewing center and wrapping the bags under the cages. Assuming you are using strap or cord cages. If the bags aren't secured they can pop out in a swamping. If they are secured only by their corner eyelets, those can easily rip out leaving the bags deflated or floating off into the sunset without you.. Thus the idea of a cage they can't escape from. They are mostly used on whitewater canoes here in the U.S. but I have noted they are quite popular in Europe for recreational canoeing as well.

Thus the idea of a cage...

I'd be glad for a little water displacement if I tip the canoe. Of course, I won't be going anywhere that has more than Class 1 rapids, so I'm not too worried about flipping. Still, better safe than sorry. I have a 16' Bell Morningstar and it has more room than me and my gear need, so installing a cage and float bags shouldn't be a problem.

There's almost no chance of me getting out on the water any time this year due to my knee, but I hope maybe to do some more paddling in the spring. Until then, I can ponder and tinker. Installing a cage for the float bags would be a fun thing, especially if I can involve my nephew.

I have yellow air bags in two of my canoes. I was originally concerned about the possible reflection problems. It's turned out that it hasn't been an issue for me at all.
Yes. You can tone down nylon with spray paint, but it sure won't be pretty. If it were me, I'd wait and see if reflection turns out to be an actual problem before doing anything drastic.

The Morningstar has air chambers molded into the bow and stern. Bag it if you want to, but I don't think it is needed really. It is a fun project. I posted here a while back the process of refurbishing and bagging my Blue Hole canoe. Keep in mind that if you do put bags in it, it is recommended that you remove and store them when not in use. Rodents love them. Also wind in transport can destroy them. So consider removing them to store or transport, installing at the launch and removing at the takeout. Build the cages with that in mind. They are too expensive to not take precautions.

Back