Painting a propane tank

J. Hoffman

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Let me start by saying that the only thing this thread has to do with knife making, is that the propane tank holds the propane that heats my shop. I only ask the question here because there are so many knowledgeable people here. It seems like no matter the question, someone on this board will be an expert on the subject. I own my 500 gallon propane tank, and the paint is starting to peel off. I want to clean it and repaint it this summer. I know that sandblasting it is a big no-no, but would it be ok to pressure wash it and then paint it? Also, is there a color it should not be painted? I was wanting to paint it a dark color to help hide it, but I'm wondering if a darker color would make it get too hot.
Thanks
Jess

Dark colors don't reflect direct solar rays well, that is true.

Not an expert but, NFPA 58 states that propane containers must be painted a heat reflective color. your local jurisdiction might specifically call out a color.

not to butt in here, but was wondering if it'd be better to paint when nearly empty.
or is that type of tank so much thicker, than a small tank, that the temperature wouldn't be a problem.

Funny you should ask. I just did that task this weekend. I used an abrasive wheel on my cordless drill to remove the active rust and also to remove any loose paint and hit it with one coat of aluminum paint applied with a brush and roller. Looks great. May put another coat on if I get really energetic. My tank is empty.

I'd recommend 3M Clean-n-Strip discs to prep for paint. You can get them to fit on an angle grinder. A little bit spendy, but they'll blast the loose paint and rust off without actually GRINDING the tank.

Around here the tanks have to be white or light gray.

I should note that when I mentioned abrasive wheels, it is a 3M abrasive coated fabric wheel - chucked up in a cordless drill, it was great for prepping. I didn't want anyone thinking I was using a carborundum wheel on it.

Isn't there a concern with static electricity if I use power strippers? Or isn't that a concern because the tank is sealed?

Paint your tank a light color, white is preffered. Dark colors will make it too hot, and the pressure may get high enough for the relief valve to bleed the costly fuel. Use a palm sander to sand off any loose rust and use a good rust paint.

I used to do this for a propane company. No problems sanding down a tank with power tools, just be careful near the fittings and such, a wire brush or scotchbrite pad works well there. Definitely check for leaks before you start, but propane requires a fairly specific air/fuel ratio to burn. A day with a little breeze is ideal. Of course, in a perfect world you'd do this with an empty tank that's been purged, and most of the tanks I worked with WERE empty, but not purged. Not all though. I generally used a stiff wire wheel or cup on a 4.5" grinder to strip off rust and any paint that was starting to peel. Then I'd take a full size sheet of scotchbrite and rub the whole tank down to prep the surface. Hose it down and wipe it off with clean rags to get the grit and dirt off then paint once it's dry.

I highly suggest getting the right kind of paint, check with FW Webb or someone similar. Worst case, Rustoleum does work, we often used it on the smaller sections of pump stations and tank lids. Go for multiple coats, not one thick one. A light brown or green is about as good as you can get for hiding it. As Bufford says, you don't want dark colors and most states have laws regarding that. Unfortunately that's also why gloss paints are often used and suggested.
If you're friendly with your propane supplier you can ask them about it, they may be able to sell you a can of paint, but you only need a small can for a 500 so they might not be much help. If they're like us they buy it in gallons and go through it by the case. The cleanup will take longer than painting, a roller for 90% of it and a cheap brush for around the fittings and you can do a coat in about ten minutes, most of which is the underside just because it's akward.

Back