paper cutting question

stupid question, I have always wondered why cutting paper is so hard on a knife edge when other use don't dull as fast

Many papers like the shiney types have clay in them -very abrasive. I once knew aguy who worked in a paper factory -they all carried very sharp sheath knives !

A lot of paper has clay mixed in with the wood fibers in order to give a smoother finish. So to a certain extent you are cutting earth.

A lot of cardboard has junk mixed into the mix because it's made from scrap. So you have no idea what kind of gunk you are actually cutting. A lot of folks don't like cardboard cutting comparisons for edge retention, because cardboard varies so much in composition, even within a single box.

And above all. Paper is made from wood. Cutting wood is harder on a knife than cutting meat or vegetables.

A lot of paper has clay mixed in with the wood fibers in order to give a smoother finish. So to a certain extent you are cutting earth.

A lot of cardboard has junk mixed into the mix because it's made from scrap. So you have no idea what kind of gunk you are actually cutting. A lot of folks don't like cardboard cutting comparisons for edge retention, because cardboard varies so much in composition, even within a single box.

And above all. Paper is made from wood. Cutting wood is harder on a knife than cutting meat or vegetables.

I like that term
I'm not testing the edge, I'm cutting the EARTH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks I didn't realize there was other stuff in paper other than wood that explains why paper dull knives so quick

Yeah they throw whatever crap they have in the mix. Sometimes poison oak and other rubbish. People have broke out in horrible rashes working with cardboard.

Yeah they throw whatever crap they have in the mix. Sometimes poison oak and other rubbish. People have broke out in horrible rashes working with cardboard.

Cardboard I can understand but I know one gets a variety of different paper quality that is associated with its cleanliness.

Standard printer paper is mostly wood pulp and a couple hundred chemicals.
Photo quality glossy adds clay to the mix.

When paper is rolled up in big humongous rolls for different applications, to prevent those big rolls from funneling during handling, a light atomized coat of alumina is applied so the paper will stay in place and not funnel. The alumina is very abrasive. This same alumina is also used in the making of some ceramics. So, you can see why testing paper sometimes reek havoc on a blade.

To tangent slightly; How do the guillotine blades on paper press cutters stay sharp so long then?
I'd guess high hardness + rigit straight path to prevent chipping helps.
Perhaps I should make a knife out of one of the old ones I have laying around.

Makes yah think twice about making spit wads . . . well not that I make spit wads . . . any more . . . much . . .
Neeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeer mind. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Out of curiosity, I would be interested to see a side-by-side cutting comparison for different types of paper, but with the same type of knife.

For instance you take two Kershaw Leeks, and sharpen both at 17DPS. Then use Leek #1 to cut printer paper, and Leek #2 to cut ivory linen paper.

It would be interesting to see the effects that different types of paper would have on the same types of edges.

To tangent slightly; How do the guillotine blades on paper press cutters stay sharp so long then?

I'd guess high hardness + rigit straight path to prevent chipping helps.

Perhaps I should make a knife out of one of the old ones I have laying around.

I have a few laying around, they must be 1/2" thick or better.

I have never cut enough paper to notice that it dulls an edge, cardboard, that is a very different story......

I got a brand new knife in that mail a few months back. Right when I got it, to test it's sharpness, I cut some cardboard. First cut, put about 5 small scratches across the grind. I knew that cardboard had additives in it, but did not expect that to happen!

Back