Paragee and Magna

Received both these knives in yesterday's mail. Have been playing with them much of the time since they arrived.

I have to say that both are very impressive to me. The overall build quality is excellent. I haven't done enough with either to call what I want to write a review, but still want to comment on both knives. In particular, want to compare the Paragee with the Camillus EDC, due to their similarity.

I've been wanting a Magna for a long time. The reviews in both TK and Blade persuaded me that I should definitely check it out. During most of the while I've contemplated purchasing a Magna, I've thought in terms of a Zytel-handled model. Well, Dennis Bible had an attractive enough price on the aluminum-handled model, I bought that.

It is important to me to say at some point, that my CRKT M16-14 had something to do with my desire for a Magna. The M16 persuaded me that Kit Carson is a masterful knife designer. The Magna has only increased that perception for me. But, I must say that in examining both, the word 'engineered" seems to come to hand more easily than "designed."

The fit and finish on my Magna were damned near perfect out of the box. There was a tiny little nick in the pivot end of the handle. Tho tiny, it goes deep enough to the bright aluminum which shows against the natural gray. After much close examination, I discovered what may be a fit problem with my knife. I acknowledge freely that it is nitpicking.

The spacer between the liners is flush from the rear end almost to the front. Approximately half an inch from the fore end, the spacer gradually goes below the level of the handles. I'd guess that the maximum it is away from flush is probably 1/64th of an inch. It certainly is nothing that leaps to the eye. Apart from those quibbles, I believe the fit and finish are perfect on my copy.

The Magna is a big brute of a knife. It appears to be exactly as long as the M16. It is maybe 1/16" longer than my CRKT KFF. The blade is very sharp. I like the appearance of the bead-blasted blade next to the gray scales. It took me awhile, but I finally looked close enough to discover why the lockup seems so extremely strong, compared to most other liner-locks I've seen. In fact, it indeed is stronger than most others. The reason? The distance from the bottom of the liner, to the far edge where it is cut to enable the spring action to work, is simply about double the length/width of any other liner lock I've seen, except that of my Spyderco Wegner. It too locks up extremely well. I've wondered many times before why the edge of the liner which makes contact with the tang is so narrow. I sort of assumed there must be some design need that I didn't understand. Nope. It is possible to make much wider edges, and to engage the tang over a much larger space than most knives use.

It is now easy for me to understand why there have been so many raves over the Magna. I do not at all understand it's seemingly relative obscurity. I am hopeful that the Paragee will cause many knife knuts to consider buying the Magna and the Impulse.

It didn't take long for me to understand why Knife Center of the Internet chose to take an unnecessary stand and to state that they preferred the Paragee to the Camillus EDC. In fact, I think it is useful when comparing the knives against each other, to also compare them to 2 high/higher end integral lock knives.

Like the Sebenza, the Paragee action is smooth out of the box. Also like the Sebenza, the the lock activation is a quiet, understated "snick." The words "Swiss watch" immediately sprang to my mind. The diameter of the numerous grooves to enhance grip are cut on a radius similar to those of the Sebenza. The lockup is solid, though quiet, and leaves plenty of room for wear, should that occur. Unlike the Sebenza, the Paragee has a slightly longer handle than the EDS.

The EDC has an extremely strong ball detente, like the CRKT S-2. It requires significant force to open the blade, and it usually pops open to the 90 degree area. The lock snaps into place with a definitive "snap" like the S-2. The EDC's lock is much more difficult to open than the Paragee and Sebenza, much like the S-2.

Because I bought the 154CM bladed version of the EDC, and got a good price from shootist16, there was a significant difference in the prices of the Paragee and the EDC. I have yet to do any real cutting/testing of either blade, but would have to expect the EDC to fare much better in every area, excepting ease of resharpening, due to the better steel. Appearance-wise tho, it is no contest. The Paragee has the stone wash finish, which I think is my favorite. I know I like it better than any blead blast finish I've ever seen. In terms of "bang for the buck" the Paragee is definitely ahead of the EDC, even considering the more expensive steel.

The Paragee is a bit lighter than the EDC, mostly because of blade width, I believe. I think the EDC's blade is a tad longer as well. Sharpness out of the box was probably a toss up, tho the Paragee could be slightly sharper. Because of the narrowness, the Paragee looks smaller than the EDC, more so than is actually true.

The Paragee is now my 3rd OE collaborative knife. Since I also have and carried the CRKT M16 for a long time, I am convinced that both Kit Carson and Darrel Ralph really know what they are doing, design-wise. But, tho the Apogee may have been around longer than the EDC, I definitely believe the collaboration results demonstrate the superiority of the Paragee.

One of the most important aspect of any knife is how comfortable it feels in one's hand. The first time I gripped the Paragee, it felt like an old friend. The slighly longer handle means that my pinky can get into the gripping act, where on the EDC, my pinky is pretty well left out of the process. And, the EDC simply doesn't feel as good to me as the Paragee.

So, that's it. Congratulations, OE! I think you have a real winner on your hands in the Paragee. Hopefully discovering that will enable more people to try the Magna and Impulse as well. All are fine knives in my opinion, and I'm very pleased to own them!

Nice review, Bugs. I wholeheartedly concur on the Paragee; I rotate this with my Spydie for an everyday carry now. Outdoor Edge did a great job on this one. And you just can't beat the price!

Thanks for the review Bugs. I will be getting my hands on one too. I really like the Camillus EDC and I know I'll like the Outdoor Edge Paragee just as well. My EDC is the 154CM version, but I noticed that the AUS-8 Paragee is a bit cheaper in price than the 420HC EDC. Am I correct in assuming that the differance in price is due to the fact that the Paragee is made in Taiwan, whereas the EDC is made in USA?

Originally posted by el cid
Thanks for the review Bugs. I will be getting my hands on one too. I really like the Camillus EDC and I know I'll like the Outdoor Edge Paragee just as well. My EDC is the 154CM version, but I noticed that the AUS-8 Paragee is a bit cheaper in price than the 420HC EDC. Am I correct in assuming that the differance in price is due to the fact that the Paragee is made in Taiwan, whereas the EDC is made in USA?

Don't know what happened there? Now it wont let me edit.

Anyway, excellent review Bugs. Very thorough as usual.

The Paragee may be cheaper because it is Taiwanese, but fit and finish are very similar. If you are happy with the quality of the EDc then you will like the quality of the Paragee.

To Bugs 3X:

Thank you for your review on the Magna and Paragee and I'm glad to hear all your positive comments. I trust these knives will serve you well for a long time to come.

To Bugs3x,

The time you took for this review is appreciated and got me thinking maybe I could make a small contribution to the discussion.

Only us knife knuts would be sensitive to the differences between the EDC and the Paragee. ;) I own both( 153CM, EDC) and either one would be a fine carry knife. My wife can't see any meaningful difference between the two. ("...and why do you have 2 identical knives! How much did they cost?!") :)

I found that adjusting the pivots can make the opening force the same for each. The thumb stud on the Paragee is a little harder to manipulate as the Paragee does not have the frame cut out as is the case on the EDC. Both knives' studs are very similar. Both knives are equally "flickable".

The handle length is so similar (w/i 1/16") that I believe the improved fit of which you speak is more a function of the difference in frame width and different location of the frame's curves.
The extra file work on the spine of the Paragee is a great enhancement over the EDC for precise control.

I prefer knives w/o pocket clips,(too high profile, IMHO). It appears the Paragee pocket clip cannot be removed cleanly as that on the EDC, as the Paragee uses 2 screws and the pivot pin. The EDC uses 3 screws alone.

The open choil(?) on the Paragee is sometimes a pain but might make an acceptable wire stripper. :)

Both knives make fine everyday carry. Spiritually I prefer 154CM; :) but AUS8a is no slouch either.

I actually slightly prefer the blade shape of the Paragee but I carry the EDC because I could cleanly remove the pocket clip and my big thumbs can reeach the thumb studs more easily. YMMV.

Fellow knife knuts, try a side by side comparison if you can. It is really a close call, both are fine knives period and that they are relatively inexpensive makes them "best buys".

Best wishes to all,
shealey

I finally got a hold of a paragee. It's a better knife, at least to me, than the EDC. I prefer the blade shape, the handle, the smaller angle between handle and blade, better steel. So many things.

I wish it had come out before the EDC. Because, I probably won't buy it at the prices I am seeing it, at least at brick and mortar stores.
You see, over time, the EDC pretty much capped my distaste for the frame lock. So if the Paragee were first, I'd have bought it and not the EDC.

I have some other frame locks too. And like the EDC, I never carry or use them any more. Just for a little while when I first get them as the new novelty grabbed me. They just aren't my preference I have discovered. Glad I have options.

It's not that the frame lock is an inferior lock, especially at the price point. But the axis type locks, better steels and such hold MY knife dollar right now. I also prefer a scaled knife over the all metal knife. But scaling a frame lock practically turns it into a liner lock.

It is a good gift knife. I'll be giving some of these away as they are an upgrade over the inexpensive liner locks I have been giving.

I will recommend it to people too.

Phil

Back