Recommendation? Paring knife sized EDC folder

41214571760_972385b552_c.jpg
70qdldl.jpg

Hello,
I'm looking for recommendations on an EDC Gentlemans knife.
Parameters:
Give or take...
  • 3" blade
  • Thin blade
  • -3oz.
  • Folder
  • -$80
  • Easy blade to sharpen, as in no crazy curves or serrations.
  • Nice to carry in dress pants.
  • Not intimidating to open at a dinner or in an office environment.
  • Flipper style
  • Pocket Clip
I'm not looking for it to be very strong, just i light duty knife that is a good slicer. Something that could cut a box open and slice up a stick of sausage or an apple. I like the size of the paring knife I posted in the photo above.

Knives I've researched but not held:
  • Boker Kwaiken
  • Boker Plus Urban Trapper
  • Kershaw Chill
  • Kershaw Leek
  • Kershaw AM-3
I like the Kershaw AM-3 and the Boker Urban Trapper a lot but have no way of getting my hands on them, so any info would be helpful.
6199-XpM9TL._SL1500_.jpg

41CGLR66KWL.jpg

A leek or dividend by kershaw would be good. Dividend has a 3 inch blade with pretty straight edge. I've got a dividend I carry when I want something smaller. It's a great little knife for around 40 bucks.usa made as well

I have an AM-3 and, although kinda cool, it is not the gentlemen's knife you are looking for. You would have to go out of your budget to get a proper Al Mar. Sure the AM-3 is cheap, but you get what you pay for and it is AO with no real easy way to open it unassisted (even with the thumb studs)...which probably disqualifies it from the gentlemen's knife category.
I also have several Leeks and I love those but same kinda deal...not really a gentlemen's knife. You can get a deep clip for the Leek if that is what you go with though.
The knives that come to mind when I think of gentlemen's knife range from old-timey traditionals to slipjoints to lock-backs but there are definitely more modern equivalents that most like these days. A lot of them are out of your price range but you can find a decent Kershaw or Kizer that would work just fine.
I've had a Kershaw Chill for many years and it was my primary EDC and backpacking knife until I could afford something more expensive. It is super light, unassisted, cheap, just the right size, not offensive to pull out and use in public, and it has a decent blade too. I highly recommend at least trying the Chill out. It is a flipper though but you can open it easily without an aggressive flip or thumb studs.

I have an AM-3 and, although kinda cool, it is not the gentlemen's knife you are looking for. You would have to go out of your budget to get a proper Al Mar. Sure the AM-3 is cheap, but you get what you pay for and it is AO with no real easy way to open it unassisted (even with the thumb studs)...which probably disqualifies it from the gentlemen's knife category.
I also have several Leeks and I love those but same kinda deal...not really a gentlemen's knife. You can get a deep clip for the Leek if that is what you go with though.
The knives that come to mind when I think of gentlemen's knife range from old-timey traditionals to slipjoints to lock-backs but there are definitely more modern equivalents that most like these days. A lot of them are out of your price range but you can find a decent Kershaw or Kizer that would work just fine.
I've had a Kershaw Chill for many years and it was my primary EDC and backpacking knife until I could afford something more expensive. It is super light, unassisted, cheap, just the right size, not offensive to pull out and use in public, and it has a decent blade too. I highly recommend at least trying the Chill out. It is a flipper though but you can open it easily without an aggressive flip or thumb studs.
I agree about he AO knives, this wouldn’t be my typical carry knive. It would be mostly for weddings and formal occasions I guess I could look past the flipper style and look at a traditional style. I’ve never been a fan of lock backs, as I’ve had them fail in the past (may have been cheap old knives, I don’t remember). I kinda like the no frills Opinels, but I think it may have to much girth and having to pocket clip is annoying. Thanks for the reply.

I don't really understand what you are asking, but I threw in a picture of my Leek anyway. Not a gentlemanly color tho

i5lM5pR.jpg
In the reviews I’ve watched when you move the pocket clip so you can carry tip up it sticks out of the pocket a lot due to the safety lock the leek has. I would prefer it not to show in my pocket.

In the reviews I’ve watched when you move the pocket clip so you can carry tip up it sticks out of the pocket a lot due to the safety lock the leek has. I would prefer it not to show in my pocket.
Yeah I got you. You're totally right.
cwDQh5x.jpg

Take a look at the
Columbia River 7090 Richard Rogers Cuatro

Really nice knife; opens easily elegant design. You can easily remove the pocket clip for pocket carry.
Got mine from Knife Center.

Rich

There are aftermarket deep carry clips available for the Leek (and many other models) that result in virtually no exposure when in the pocket (other than the clip itself).

If you are willing to give up the flipper and pocket clip, you could get a Case Copperlock or Tribal Lock.

I like the copperlock and could give up the flipper. My only concern is loosing it. Is this an issue for people at all, I tend to have stuff like that fall out of my pockets from time to time, especially when driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about something like a Kizer Vanguard Splinter? Sort of Al Mar-ish, in the price and size range.

I just can't recommend it specifically but Kizer generally is pretty good.

Back