Paris show SICAC 2003

The show took place two weeks ago. As usual, I looked forward to attend. This year's show was a bit dissapointing, at least for me.
The show took place in a different location, which looks old and ugly. The light was very bad. Another thing that surprised me was the quality of the knives. There were very good knives (like the ones in the pictures I will add here) but they didn't represent the majority of the exposed knives. There were also too many badly finished knives that had nothing to do in an international show. The overall quality was lower than in the past years.
I made some pictutres of a few beautiful knives. I apologise in advance for their quality, the light was bad and I choosed not to use a flash.

A beautiful colored damascus fixed blade, unfortunately I don't remember the name of he maker.
001.jpg

Scagel style fixed blades by Bruno Duffort.
002.jpg

Various knives by Gert Van Den Elsen. Entirely handmade, beautiful design, fit and finish.
003.jpg

This is Gert.
004_gert.jpg

Friction folder by Ricardo Ciachera. Beautiful and well made.
005.jpg

Three Loveless knives on a japanese dealer's table. I enjoyed playing with them but the prices were ... high.
006.jpg

A fighter, a small fixed blade and a short sword by A. Hogstrom. His knives are outstanding.
007.jpg

008.jpg

009_hogstrom.jpg

A Loveless-style integral by F. Schneider. Impressive workmanship.
010.jpg

Three well made damascus folders, again I forgot the name of the maker ...
011.jpg

A knife-sculpture by Pierre Reverdy.
012.jpg

Well made and beautifuly finished fixed blade by Andre Andersson
013.jpg

Interesting forged knives ... don't remeber the maker's name.
014.jpg

The table of Armes Bastille. They are good guys, their shop in Paris is a must see.
015_bastille.jpg

A folder by Franceso Pachi. Perfect fit and finish.
016.jpg

Damascus fighter by Santino Ballestra.
017.jpg

Foders by Koji Hara. He makes one of the best mirror finishes I've seen and he is also a very pleasant fellow.
018.jpg

Flavius . . . Thanks for the photo's!

Well, you know my views on this years's SICAC venue . . . a real disgrace!

Noteable knives and knifemakers? . . . The work of Kaj Embretsen, Charles Bennica, Des Horn, Koji Hara, Kensai, Allen Elishewitz, Andre Thorburn, and the incredible engraving of Ambrotti. Lots of traditional French patterns which I always enjoy, something earthy and very practical about them. Also lots of forged plain and damascus blades.

A couple of days before the show I was walking down on the river Seine during the evening and came across a farmers market, selling cheese, meat and wine from one of the regions. One of the farmers was cutting off slices of his cheese for passers by with a huge 2-foot long, very well used, Opinel !! . . . Needless to say, I bought some of his cheese!

Regards, HILTON

Back