1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Pathfinder Hawk

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by spikebot587, Dec 24, 2014.

1. spikebot587

spikebot587

Feb 8, 2013
    Ive been thinking about getting one of the pathfinder scout hawks by two hawks, but can't find any recent threads on it. Those of you that have used them, how have they held up, are there any better hawks for the money? Just what is you're overall opinion of them

2. ISP 5353

ISP 5353

Sep 5, 2010
    My wife has a two hawks and it has been a really good blade. It is a cast head. I personally prefer one of the H&B Forge hawks that are forged. Just my preference for forged versus cast.

3. spikebot587

spikebot587

Feb 8, 2013
    I'm still new to hawks, so can you explain what the advantages are for forged vs cast?

4. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    Cast anything has the potential to have a void in the material creating a weak point. Never heard of it from 2 Hawks, but that doesn't mean it couldn't or hasn't happened. There is also the possibility that the forging process increases the density of the material, though I don't know how significant that is in terms of difference. Besides that, it's mostly romanticism. Which isn't to say I don't love a nicely forged tool.

5. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    The forging process does not increase the density of the material. It moves it around. And technically, all non PM steel has been cast at some point and anything that has been rolled into a smaller shape has technically been forged down.

6. spikebot587

spikebot587

Feb 8, 2013
    So is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference?

7. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    H&B, like many other forged tomahawks, are not only forged, but of laminated steel construction, which is very tough when done right.

You won't have laminated steel with a cast head.

I'm not saying a cast head is necessarily junk, but I seriously doubt it would be as tough as a well executed forged & laminated head.

8. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Laminated heads were invented when iron was cheap and steel expensive and rare. Today, they are done more for reasons of tradition than superior properties. Very few of the older axes that many on here restore are made like that.

9. smith357

smith357

Feb 19, 2005
    I have been carrying a 2hawks Longhunter as main component of my woods kit for a few years. I have thrown it, it works, but its main job is has been processing wood for fire, hammering stakes and cutting strangler vines off the walnut trees.

This it what it looks like after a bit of real world use and it's first real sharpening. It should last as long at the old True Temper.

[​IMG]

I believe it is the absolute best fit for me and my terrain.

[​IMG]

edit;

It's your classic 9mm vs .45acp argument.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  10. spikebot587

spikebot587

Feb 8, 2013
    The more I look at this, the more I want one, but it's hard for me to justify thee price when it seems like everyone loves te CS hawks as well, so my question is what is the advantage of a custom hawk? Other than quality

11. stevep

stevep Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 1998
    start with the CS and see what it is capable of. if it chops and throws like you want it to then wait for a used 2 hawks to come upÂ… i really like the h&b forge hawks better and i have had 2 or 3 of each. the one i kept was an h&b med camp. good luck, you will end up with more than one for sure. what i liked about the h&b is that i didn't need to sharpen it after i received it. Both the 2hawks and the cold steel need there edges worked on in my opinion. they are a lot more fun when they are sharp.

12. tueller

tueller

Mar 16, 2012
    Other than quality? I am not sure why you want to overlook quality. But to answer your question how about its made in the USA by an artist taking pride in each hawk instead of made in Taiwan by a factory worker pushing out hawks in bulk. The CS hawks are like the rat 1 folders, good economical users but by no means the quality of a USA made custom/ small production.

13. spikebot587

spikebot587

Feb 8, 2013
    That's a good ideas, I will definitely look into h&b forge as well. What are your preferred models?

I might not have been clear, I'm not overlooking the quality, I just didn't want every response to be about how much better quality the custom is, because I already knew that

14. stevep

stevep Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 1998