Patina question

I'm looking to put a patina on my esee 6. I've been researching different ways to do it. One thing I keep seeing is the ph level of the product being used.
I want to know if I can just change the ph level of product to achieve a consistent color. Is there something else beside the acid and oxygen in the product being used that affect darkness.

That's a very interesting question! I'd love to know the answer as well.

When I darken blades, it's typically affected by time and concentration. The stronger the acid used, the quicker the metal will turn darker. And the longer you keep the blade in the acid the darker it gets. For carbon steels, vinegar, mustard, etc will work.

For stainless, I like to use ferric chloride. Check on the blade every 5 or 10 minutes, and take it out when I get the color I want.

To get consistency, make sure the blade is clean of all oils and contaminants. While wearing disposable rubber gloves, I wash with soap and water, then acetone or some other type of cleaner, then dip the blade in distilled water before putting it in the acid solution. You don't want an oily finger print etched into your blade...

Is there something else beside the acid and oxygen in the product being used that affect darkness
Heat. Needs to be warm . . . even hot.
The next thing I will suggest trying you probably don't want hot. But the knife could be warm.
That would be fresh nectarine.

Here is a Link >>>>> to an excellent post and many great suggestions / info !

I've always read aswell that the degreasing of the blade is important. The main thing is the ph level. I think I was reading apple cider vinegar ph is around 4 to 5.
I work in the pool industry and have access to muriatic acid and ph test kits. A couple drops of acid I can change the ph.

From the fruit, tomato, nectarine I get colors that I didn't get from the vinegar.
Nice rich blue and some pink highlights.
Experiment; you can always remove what you don't like.

You can get awesome colors on a carbon steel using it as a steak knife for a while. I have no idea why that works, but it sure is pretty.

I warmed up the blade and rubbed lime juice on it. It brought out colors like wowbahher said. Than I used Frenchs mustard to give it a strips pattern. I had a blade get some odd look by cutting raw chicken.

I heat some vinegar in the microwave oven and plunge a blade in for about 30 seconds to get a nice, uniform gray. Then go to a burger place, order a big, juicy hamburger with everything on it (e.g. Wendy's Single or McD's Quarter Pounder) and use the knife to cut it in half. Do that a few times and you will get some interesting pattern variations. :D

There was a dude on here that stirred his black coffee every morning. That blade had an even grayish color.

Anything that is acidic will react with metal. Some reactions are not wanted though. You can get red rust in some cases. There's a lot of rustic art sold in town. A bunch of metal sprayed with vinegar water. Then raise the price because it's rusted

Do you think that would work with a French Vanilla cappuccino?

Asking for a friend... :oops:
I would prolly say that straight black coffee would be more acidic. I drink my coffee with a shot of half and half to make it milder. Easier on my 63 y/o stomach. So I'd guess that any dilution to to the coffee would make it not as strong.
Kind of like vinegar for a patina. If you put some creamer in the vinegar it wouldn't be as strong.
Just heat up some apple cider vinegar and stick your blade in a glass full. Careful not to allow it to get under the handle slabs where rust could form.

When I darken blades, it's typically affected by time and concentration. The stronger the acid used, the quicker the metal will turn darker. And the longer you keep the blade in the acid the darker it gets. For carbon steels, vinegar, mustard, etc will work.

For stainless, I like to use ferric chloride. Check on the blade every 5 or 10 minutes, and take it out when I get the color I want.

To get consistency, make sure the blade is clean of all oils and contaminants. While wearing disposable rubber gloves, I wash with soap and water, then acetone or some other type of cleaner, then dip the blade in distilled water before putting it in the acid solution. You don't want an oily finger print etched into your blade...

I have never heard of trying to put a patina on stainless.
Seems like the answer to a question that was never asked lol.

I have never heard of trying to put a patina on stainless.
Seems like the answer to a question that was never asked lol.

It's called stainless, not stain never ;) Maybe my nomenclature is off in the knife world, but I thought the oxide layer developed during the acid etching possess was considered a "patina".

OP asked about the esse6 specifically, but also a general question on consistent darkening of a blade.. The more stainless the blade, the stronger the acid required to patina.

Back