Paul Blart saves the day! (When security gets stupid)

CVamberbonehead

Gold Member
So, I dont know if this belongs in knife laws, but it seemed like a good spot to share my story. My wife and I went to 6 flags america yesterday, and again today. On the way in the gate, we had to go through a metal detector, and I remebered that I had an HK Axis knife (scary assault clip knife) clipped to my pocket, and a little Rough Rider canoe knife in my back pocket. I also have a Victorinox classic SD on my keychain, and a p38 can opener. Paul Blart was at the metal detector, and when his eyes hit that HK Axis, he looked like he was about to call for backup, he pulled out his radio, said "we have a code 590" and made me leave. So I walked through the Arctic tundra of the parking lot to put my knives in my car. I came back and was told I had to leave because of the Vic classic. At this point, I laughed and said who could I possibly hurt with that??? Paul Blart seriously told me, "thats dangerous, if you know the human body you could kill someone with it!" I asked if the tiny tweezers are also a deadly weapon, and he said, and im not kidding, "I saw a guy fight someone with tweezers before, and he messed a guy up." (I guess he lives near the set of a Jackie Chan movie) So back to the tundra I go. Fast forward to today, I remembered to get all my knives off me. But...I forgot the p38. Oh, the horrors. I was asked, "is that a razorblade?!?!" I said no, and was told that I could go on yet another trek through the tundra, or have my deadly can opener confiscated. I just threw it away right away. By the way, the Streamlight Protac 2aaa that I carry, specifically to use for defense (and utility, of course, its pretty handy) wasnt a problem any time. I still cant believe any of it. The HK, i understand, its scary. My bad. But a p38?!?! The only thing I could hurt is a can! So, Ive been thinking about all of this. I say that modern society has gone overboard, not everything is a weapon. I just.....ugh..... we live in a silly world. What do you all think? Any good stories of "sheeple"? Has anyone had the pleasure of dealing with such sensible folk? Lol

When that's the job you have and you can't risk loosing it, free thought is not something most can afford. Maybe the guy is a mall ninja who thinks he's ready to save the free world, or maybe doesn't quite know what sarcasm is for, or like you say, maybe just not so bright. I've lost a pair of EMT shears out of a first aid kit, so I know the feeling, and I felt like at the time the guy taking them was about as happy about it as I was.

We, as a society, have failed at real safety and security. We have promoted minimum wage workers to be in charge of our safety and well being and given them a strict set of rules to follow that do not make things safer. Due to their normal (and i admit that there are exceptions to the rule) level of intelligence, we have taken away their ability to think for themselves. Many are government jobs and require the rules of employment have nothing to do with actual ability. This has left us with a serious shortcoming in true safety and a serious hassle that has no advantage.

Case in point. Yesterday my wife got hassled. Pushing a baby in a stroller through TSA security. At Orlando. She got told she couldn’t bring sealed in original container formula on board. With a baby. In Orlando (you know, where Disney is, so they NEVER see infants there). It took escalating it to the supervisor. They don’t even know their own rules.

But, I admit, I went through security nearly every day (4 of the 6 park days required metal detector and pocket dump) and not once even got a strange eye over my little buck stockman.

Funny end to my wife’s episode. After all the hassle over the formula, they wanded her down (after passing through the metal detector) and didn’t even swab or double check the formula. Just ignorant.

We, as a society, have failed at real safety and security. We have promoted minimum wage workers to be in charge of our safety and well being and given them a strict set of rules to follow that do not make things safer. Due to their normal (and i admit that there are exceptions to the rule) level of intelligence, we have taken away their ability to think for themselves. Many are government jobs and require the rules of employment have nothing to do with actual ability. This has left us with a serious shortcoming in true safety and a serious hassle that has no advantage.

Case in point. Yesterday my wife got hassled. Pushing a baby in a stroller through TSA security. At Orlando. She got told she couldn’t bring sealed in original container formula on board. With a baby. In Orlando (you know, where Disney is, so they NEVER see infants there). It took escalating it to the supervisor. They don’t even know their own rules.

But, I admit, I went through security nearly every day (4 of the 6 park days required metal detector and pocket dump) and not once even got a strange eye over my little buck stockman.

Funny end to my wife’s episode. After all the hassle over the formula, they wanded her down (after passing through the metal detector) and didn’t even swab or double check the formula. Just ignorant.
Great story, thanks for sharing! Yeah, there are a whole lot of stupid knife laws around here. In my state, you can buy most knives (excepting ballistic and a few others I'm sure I'm not aware of), but you can't conceal-carry a baton. I'm wondering why a switchblade is somehow less dangerous than a baton. Anyway, I have gotten afraid to carry my EDC knives to orchestra concerts and other public events because I'm afraid of getting 'wanded' (which totally belongs in the dictionary, by the way)!

My buddy long time ago worked security at a six flags. The stories he told about the shit people would try and bring in. Lots of weapons too. None of its allowed.

Yo guy, some tweezers are long and pointy, extremely deadly!! *eyes slowly go crosseyed*

I don't get why they won't ever just hold them for you and you can pick them up at the end. They could disclaimer they are not responsible for loss.

I understand that they have a job to do, and they have to go by the book. I wouldnt want to see them lose their jobs for my convenience. I guess it just annoys me that it has to be that way, that everything, right down to a little p38 or tweezers, is a "weapon".

Great story, thanks for sharing! Yeah, there are a whole lot of stupid knife laws around here. In my state, you can buy most knives (excepting ballistic and a few others I'm sure I'm not aware of), but you can't conceal-carry a baton. I'm wondering why a switchblade is somehow less dangerous than a baton. Anyway, I have gotten afraid to carry my EDC knives to orchestra concerts and other public events because I'm afraid of getting 'wanded' (which totally belongs in the dictionary, by the way)!
Same here. In my state, autos are legal (even to carry if you have a reason, though I wouldnt, since I dont want the..shall we say...overzealous state police to ventilate me) and any size pocketknife is legal as a "penknife", but a baton is illegal.

Thanks for the laugh! Gotta watch for that baby formula, it could put an eye out.

The numbers of which people are attached by pocket knives compared to kitchen knives is surprising! Almost none by edc knives that im aware of. And yes society has already failed, when permit holding people can’t carry any weapon in public venues is actually criminal in itself. Considering most of us would help to protect a stranger with our legal pistols as much as our own! Let alone a tiny keychain sak, that’s actually insane

The numbers of which people are attached by pocket knives compared to kitchen knives is surprising! Almost none by edc knives that im aware of. And yes society has already failed, when permit holding people can’t carry any weapon in public venues is actually criminal in itself. Considering most of us would help to protect a stranger with our legal pistols as much as our own! Let alone a tiny keychain sak, that’s actually insane
Well, its a moot point for me, I live in Maryland, where its almost impossible to get a carry permit.

Great, now ya got me wondering how I'd use that P38 lol

I saw pix of someone who was seriously cut up with a lid from a tuna can that had been folded in half.

I have had jobs where I had to enforce ridiculous rules (and even laws). There is a way to convey to the person you are dealing with (subtly and professionally) that you share his opinion of the rules. Doing so generally gets not only compliance but even a little sympathy, from them, that you were forced to do/say something so stupid.

Back