Paul Chen stuff

AKADave

Gold Member
I see a lot of his stuff advertised. So what do you guys think for temeshigiri type stuff? I couldnt bear to use one of my oldies.

All reports are that the Chen stuff is good for the money.

I have a Musashi Daito and am waiting for a Shinto Katana (that is probably reaching here next week), and I tested the Musahsi in the Tameshigiri, it goes incredible well, no damage in the sword and slice the tatami as butter. I also tested a Kris Cutlery Katana 29 ", the recent model, it goes well also, but not as good as the Musashi Daito (in spite that the sword forum magazine compared some Paul Chen swords with Kris Cutlery and the second went a little better in cut result but they were quite similar).
I say that you get what you pay for. To a $ 225 katana Kris Cutlery goes well, and to a $400-700 katana the Paul Chen goes well also. The Paul Chen´s are very beautiful and have a nice balance, the only trouble I found is that some models have a real big tsuka ( 15 inches) that disturb a little the handling of this sword, this is one of the reasons I bought a shinto katana that have 11 inches of tsuka. The big tsuka is also found in the most of Bugei`s Paul Chen swords (more expensive).

Hope that helps!!!

;)

If I were to get a reasonably inexpensive sword for test-cutting purposes, the Shinto would be one option. Of course, I'd be tempted to look at the shorter-tsuka models from Bugei, but that also carries a heavier price tag. Another option, and probably my first choice in the inexpensive category, would be a Cicada Forge sword.

What are the handles made of on the Paul Chen's? For example on the Musashi and the Oriole? Also, where can I go to get tatami?

..Hi Pen2K:

Might consider a Pier One or other imports store. Tatami mats are often found in such places for cheap. Just roll 'em up and slash away! Also, Cardboard rolls are good target material. Take a box, roll it up and tape it, slash.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Funny... how come I found this from the Sword Froum Magazine and it sounds as if the Kris Cutlery's stuff is better?
Anyone care to enlighten me? I'm interested in getting a katana.

Calyth,

How ya doing!

Don't go by that report if you are gauging the present quality of Chen stuff. Apparently, the "practical Katana" used in that review was the first generation of such blades, while they are on the forth now.

From what I have read, Chen has steadily improved the quality of his swords, thanks in part (sounds like a large part) to Bugei's dealings with him. Bugei has helped Chen raise quality levels, and this has "leaked" onto their other models. The Prac Kat doesn't come with plastic habaki anymore, for example.

Ah.. well I want a katana (maybe a shorter one) that mainly as a collection piece, but of course, why would I want to collect cutlery that doesn't cut it? ;)
Thanks for the update and I'll probably check one out after my numerous pending purchases when I have money...

Hi, Calyth:

I can't recomment Kris Cutlery enough. Their Asian line and Java/Malaysian line is excellent, especially for the price. I own 5 pieces currently from them, and they are all spectacular. No nosense fittings, good steel and heat treat.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Thanks, Ferrous wheel for the comment. I'll keep in mind when I chooses a sword!

I bought a PC Bushido Katana not too long ago... I have no complaints whatsoever... well, the original sheath I got was cracked.. but this has since been fixed..

I haven't done any test cutting yet... but I did try and call Bugei to get some proper targets.. found out that they have minimum orders...
of 50/10/10, depending on s/m/l sizes of mats...
So, that was a pain, so I was going to just order 10m, and 10l...
but, shipping these can only be done by UPS (I dislike using them)... but the worst part is that these mats are insanely heavy.. Turned out it would cost $200 to ship to where I am.. (Canada).

I guess Pier 1 it is.

Or maybe I will try the cardboard thing.

Paul Chen's Hanwei shop should be recognized as the most rapidly improving of any manufacturer. No one out there has improved so much in such a short time. Their current line is almost unrecognizable from the early products.

His shop is also the most misunderstood. Early on, there were rampant speculation that somehow his blades were machine made instead of forged. There were even unfounded rumors that they weren't clay heat treated, or that his damascus weren't real. For some reason a cloud of suspicion and hostility hang over these products. There was a disbelief that so much handwork could be had for the price, and some high-rolling collectors seem to wish these swords would go away.

The reality is what you are getting is the real thing. Hanwei puts more old fashioned handwork and elbow grease into their work than any other manufacturer. There are plenty of better quality swords, but they tend to be 4-5 times more expensive and have multi-year waiting lists. Paul Chen is the best thing to happen to martial artists and cost-concious collectors for a long time.

I think the reasoning behind the anti-Hanwei sentiment stems mostly from the marketing used by CAS Iberia early on. Statements ranged from slight exaggerations to downright lies. Fortunately, the advertising has improved a lot, possibly as much as the products themselves in the last few years.

I agree with DHB..the musashi cuts great..fast..well balanced...I also own the Kriss cutlery kat..it is ok..but I disagree with sword forum..it does not cut quite as clean.or at least mine does not..it cuts though...the musashi handles well and is very effortless with the proper technique...

long handles were present in early samurai history...check bugie for info on long tsukas..

thanks
Tao.....:)

If anyone has seen SANJIRO , please note that the Katana that the primary character carries has a very long tsuka, it looks well over 13 inches long. It also is squared in configuration, which leads me to believe, as Bugei has stated, that this type/style of tsuka was more common than previously believed.:cool:

While the cutting ability of a sword can be somewhat determined by the apparent strength and sturdiness of the sword, it should still be noted that technique is really what you will use to "cut". I have talked with many people that have used the Cicada Forge blades with bohai and relatively light Chen PKs to perform Tameshigiri on a regular basis without any harm to the blade. Of course, most of these individuals have been studying the ARTS many years. As has been stated before, properly using the Katana is not a natural act!

I totally agree with deathdancer and tao, the point is the person who is holding the katana, and to the ones that know what to do the Paul Chen`s goes very well.

Only to remember, many of you know the fact that Musashi beat an oponent that had a real sword with a wood sword, or to the ones that really know what to do any sword can goes very well, and even you have a great Massamune (best quality), if you don´t know how to use it, it can be damaged and not cut well.

Cheers!!!

:D

I sell the Paul Chen swords and find them great!
For the money IMO they are the best. I just got the Practical Plus Katana (2073GT) and find it the best so far:
The blade is forged and differentially tempered, using the same process as the more expensive blades and producing an RC60 edge and RC40 back. The temper line is authentic and prominent. Cost savings are effected by using fittings which, while making no claims to authenticity, are very strongly built to withstand the rigours of cutting exercises. Has real Ray skin and has two (2) pins in the tang.
Comes with carry cloth bag. (20-3/4"Blade 28"Overall est) For the money IMO.:) :) :)
2073HLgt.JPG

I have two Chen swords (Musashi and Shinto), and the Musashi I bought from 888knivesrus, it was perfect, came here in Brazil with no trouble , and very fast. You people are very good to deal with.

:D

Back