Paul Rasp CPE Kephart - Two Year Report

jeffbird

Gold Member
Wanted to provide some feedback on this Kephart made by Paul Rasp of CPE Knives. I have used this for the last two (or could be three?) hunting seasons. It has been put to work on up to five animals in one session, one deer and four pigs. Pigs hides are harder on edges than deer.

Edge retention is excellent, with just touching up on a small pocket size ceramic rod along to way in a session.

The steel is 20cv, which Paul heat treats himself. There was no chipping at all, which pig hides with mud can cause.

Paul uses a 4” blade. The original Kepharts offered a choice of 4” or 5” blade. See the original ad embedded in this interesting article: https://www.knifemagazine.com/the-original-kephart-examined/

It probably is personal preference, but a 4” blade is handier than a 5” for me, especially for cleaning critters.

Paul’s handle shape is very comfortable. The flats actually make the knife easier to control when it is wet or has blood on it.

So after many deer and many, many pigs, I give this a big thumbs up and very happily recommend it. Plus, Paul is super nice and easy to work with
The nicely executed swedge maintains the symmetry of the profile and a well supported strong tip.

Bottom line - this is a solid workhorse, great value, great design, great knife, and great guy to deal with. Well done Paul. 😊👍

IMG_0580.jpeg

Last edited:
Wanted to provide some feedback on this Kephart made by Paul Rasp of CPE Knives. I have used this for the last two (or could be three?) hunting seasons. It has been put to work on up to five animals in one session, one deer and four pigs. Pigs hides are harder on edges than deer.

Edge retention is excellent, with just touching up on a small pocket size ceramic rod along to way in a session.

The steel is 20cv, which Paul heat treats himself. There was no chipping at all, which pig hides with mud can cause.

Paul uses a 4” blade. The original Kepharts offered a choice of 4” or 5” blade. See the original ad embedded in this interesting article: https://www.knifemagazine.com/the-original-kephart-examined/

It probably is personal preference, but a 4” blade is handier than a 5” for me, especially for cleaning critters.

Paul’s handle shape is very comfortable. The flats actually make the knife easier to control when it is wet or has blood on it.

So after many deer and many, many pigs, I give this a big thumbs up and very happily recommend it. Plus, Paul is super nice and easy to work with
The nicely executed swedge maintains the symmetry of the profile and a well supported strong tip.

Bottom line - this is a solid workhorse, great value, great design, great knife, and great guy to deal with. Well done Paul. 😊👍

View attachment 2503975
Nice to see someone else bought Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft. It's a wonderful description of the 'good old days' before the advent of today's luxurious (by comparison) gear: food, stoves, tents, sleeping bags, boots, clothing.

Nice to see someone else bought Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft. It's a wonderful description of the 'good old days' before the advent of today's luxurious (by comparison) gear: food, stoves, tents, sleeping bags, boots, clothing.
Yes, while some equipment may have evolved a bit, the skills are as useful as ever.

Back