Pawn Shop Rescue

Found this in the case at a pawn shop, labeled as "Buck Knife" jerkit:
(I also bought a Case folder labeled "unknown" at the same time)

Negotiated a very sweet price.
It looks like its been on a grinder, or at least improperly sharpened.
Doesnt look like too much blade is missing.

Guess ill hit it with some sandpaper, and then off to the WE to reprofile and sharpen it.

Or would sending it iff to BM be better? Wonder what they would do besides sharpen it?

I'm a happy camper wither way, it should make a good user.

Last edited by a moderator:
always better to send it back to the proper manufacturer.
especially, when the original parts still exist in it's inventory?

That's a sweet 910!!! Man I wish I could find stuff like that at the local pawn shops!!!

Only knives I find in pawn shops are beat up china made knives and they still want 20 bucks for them.

Nice find. Hope you got a good deal on your Buck knife. ;) Well used, I would either have someone put a good edge on the front of the blade - or send it up to Benchmade to see what they can do. Replacing the blade is debatable, they might not have any of those as replacements. But on the bright side, many of us have been very surprised at what came home after they did their magic. Good luck, and again nice find! :thumbup:

Send it in. I've found a 905 in similar condition. Send it into BM, they'll sharpen it and replace as much of the hardware as they can.

I would definitely send it in to BM. Although replacement blades for the 910 are long gone there's quite a bit they can do to breath new life into it. But you really never know. I've been surprised before when I spoke to a tech once and he just happened to have an extra blade in his parts bin so always call and ask.

They can completely clean & lubricate the knife, replace most if not all of the hardware, this includes screws and washers. In some cases even the pivot and stop pin. Plus if needed they will tighten up the lock up and other small tuning here and there. All these little improvements add up and you'd be amazed at what you might get back

I'd let them clean the tarnish / corrosion off the blade, sharpen it properly and do what they do to restore old knives.

My recommendation would be to call first, ask to speak to someone in customer service, tell them what you have and see what hey say. Also, just don't send it in. Always include a cover letter listing the specific thing's you'd like done if they can. This way nothing is left to chance.

They may or may not be able to do everything you'd like but my experience with BM customer service is they will bend over backwards to help you if they can.

Congratulations on a great find! I carried a 910 for years and think it was and is one of BM's many standout's

Best of luck!

Since it says bali-song in the middle of the butterfly and not benchmade, it points to it being an early production blade. Somewhere in the 90's. Not as rare as the 910SCG, but still kinda cool. For the $5, I would send it to BM and see what you get back. Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised at what you end up with.

I would call BM and see if they can reblade it for you. They probably still have 910 blades around. I would bet money on it. That would be the best $25 you could spend on that knife.

Called BM
They had a few plain blades in D2 left !
It's on the way back to them today

This one was pretty rough or I would have left it alone
The D2 is a nice upgrade
Most of my Benchmades have studs, so I'm used to them

This one was pretty rough or I would have left it alone
The D2 is a nice upgrade
Most of my Benchmades have studs, so I'm used to them

I wouldn't call D2 an upgrade, but that's just preference. If anything, the original ATS-34 blade with thumb disc is more desirable to collectors.

I have plenty of knives with studs, so I like the disc for its uniqueness. There aren't any modern BM knives with discs.

Back