Off Topic Pd-1 vs 3v (Experience Requested or

Does anybody have experience or metallurgy knowledge to give an informed comparison between Pd-1 and 3v. Most of the online information says that one or the other is better. I have my own opinion but it is just that. Mostly my interest is in chopping comparisons and EDC use(i.e. Slicing tasks and the edge holding from those tasks). Thank you for your time and information.

PD#1 is the same steel as CPM Cruwear, Z wear, Spectrumwear, Vascowear and a bunch of other steels that are the same composition. 3V is a powder steel version of another steel (M or H something) that I forget the name of. The steels are pretty close in most attributes with PD#1/Cruwear getting the edge in uses at higher hardness's. There is a crossover but typically 3V is going to be tougher with PD#1 slightly more wear resistant. In a lot of uses they can be interchangeable. Sort of like a HSS for heat treating purposes with some red hardness but used and sold mostly as cold work steels. Both are clean, consistently high quality steels that are well suited for knives if the maker does their part. For me I'd take them at rc62 ( PD#1) for a folder and rc59-60 for a fixed blade (3V).

Joe

I find 3V and M390 for wear resistance. PD1 for toughness. Only my personal experience. I am not biased . My favorite steels are D2, 154cm, cpm154, s35vn , m390 and a high quality 440c. Though id never turn down 3v or pd1 as rare as they are.

Back