Pear Knife?

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Put my T.M. Hunt Special to use chopping pears this morning. Wife's been canning preserves this week.

08CF178B-3045-4204-90BA-65C47B71B57E-3641-0000025B8BB8642E_zpsc842fa3b.jpg

shouldn't that be a "pearing knife"?

*rimshot*

(And no Murph, not the kind of rimshot you're thinking about.)

Speaking seriously about paring knives, I used a Mora 510 to peel most of the pears, and it did a great job.
I wish Ethan's kitchen set had included a paring knife though.

*rimshot*

(And no Murph, not the kind of rimshot you're thinking about.)

Speaking seriously about paring knives, I used a Mora 510 to peel most of the pears, and it did a great job.
I wish Ethan's kitchen set had included a paring knife though.

Why would you reference Ernest's Jack Russell Terrier in a knife thread? I knew what you were talking about.

It's an awesome knife. If I ever get to go on an elk hunt, that's the one I'm taking.

Before I even opened this thread I knew by the title that there would be an interesting patina develop on the brushed 01. Some people like it, some don't. Hell, some people don't even understand what happens during the process. I've had people that don't understand the qualities of good steel and think that it's ruined because of the color change. It's really part of the reason that I put an etchant on a lot of my blades, but as a person that understands what's happening, I think it's fascinating. As a matter of fact, I encourage a lot of my customers to experience the "personality" of their knife by letting it's own patterns expose themselves through use.
Not so long ago, some of you may remember the knife that I made that came in second in KFU's knifemaker's challenge at Ethan Becker's house. That knife is my personal knife. Anyway, I've used it quite a bit, it needed a little touch up on the edge. My Dad was over one day, he picked it up to inspect it and I told him if he wanted he could take it home and sharpen it up, (my Dad is a master at razor sharp edges). He took me up on the offer and brought it back to me beyond razor sharp,but it looked brand new. Most people wouldn't have a problem with this, but I was excited about the patina it was developing and the story it was starting to tell. I didn't say anything to Dad, he is a fine craftsman in his own right and he was only doing what he thought was right, but I was kinda bummed that he cleaned the blade.

Last edited by a moderator:
No better way to develop a natural (real) patina than by cutting fruit and meat. I do this gradually with nearly all my carbon steel knives and rarely "force" a patina with vinegar, mustard, etc. I knew the pears would start the process that I plan to continue. Over time, this knife will look used and will get a nice, dark patina. Todd, I wondered why you seemed concerned about my M18's finish in its sheath. The finish will find its way in due time.

Guyon - Kershaw, Victorinox, and Opinel all make excellent paring knives which can generally be found under $10.
granted, the handles won't be as nice as the ones on the E-B kitchen cutlery, but they're still plenty comfy.

No better way to develop a natural (real) patina than by cutting fruit and meat. I do this gradually with nearly all my carbon steel knives and rarely "force" a patina with vinegar, mustard, etc. I knew the pears would start the process that I plan to continue. Over time, this knife will look used and will get a nice, dark patina. Todd, I wondered why you seemed concerned about my M18's finish in its sheath. The finish will find its way in due time.

Simpily because I want the M-18 to look fresh and new when you or any other customer gets one. The look, finish, patina is up to you but I want it to be professional looking when it arrives. Personally I like the used look that develops. But when I pay aconsiderable amount for something. When I get it, I want it to be new. I guess I'm weird. Just one onther thing I stress about that probably makes no difference what so ever.

Guyon - Kershaw, Victorinox, and Opinel all make excellent paring knives which can generally be found under $10.
granted, the handles won't be as nice as the ones on the E-B kitchen cutlery, but they're still plenty comfy.

Yeah, I've got one of the Vic ones. Good knives, but I'd still like a matching one for the Becker set.

Simpily because I want the M-18 to look fresh and new when you or any other customer gets one. The look, finish, patina is up to you but I want it to be professional looking when it arrives. Personally I like the used look that develops. But when I pay aconsiderable amount for something. When I get it, I want it to be new. I guess I'm weird. Just one onther thing I stress about that probably makes no difference what so ever.

I misunderstood then. I thought you meant you were worried about rubs over time. You meant right off the bat, and I appreciate the attention to detail.
I've been around long enough though to know that kydex leaves rubs though. That said, I've seen folks go batshit crazy because of the slightest of rubs on a new knife. In those cases, they should have ordered it encased in plexiglass. :p Doesn't matter. I'm excited about the leather. You do damn good leather work.

Just as an aside, one of the neatest patinas you can get is with mango.
My kids and I eat a lot of mango, and I cut a lot of mango with my knives. It puts an iridescent patina on carbon steel.
Wears off over time, but it still looks cool for a while.

P1020922.jpg

This shot is for tradewater.

CEBA6F9D-2B85-440D-BA71-81E9CF04A8E9-3641-00000272F882CA5F_zps05d532b8.jpg

Oh my god, it's true then. That is solid gold right there. We really need to run down and check on Kay's mom when we get home..damn I miss that woman...:D

Oh my god, it's true then. That is solid gold right there. We really need to run down and check on Kay's mom when we get home..damn I miss that woman...:D

Im assuming that's because she makes great peach preserves, not because she is a knifemaker!

Back