Personal ergos: Canis yes, Swayback no

Cyrano

Gold Member
What follows is intended to represent only my personal reaction to the ergonomic design of these two knives.

Canis:

I've had mixed feelings about the compression lock. While it has many functional advantages, in some cases I've found it to pinch the flesh of my right-hand index finger upon opening.

The Canis is free from any such pinching; it works without any issues in opening and in closing.

All the other ergonomic considerations are A-OK for me, including handle size, finger grip, thumb ramp, radiused edges, and freedom from hot spots (including the pocket clip.)

Swayback:

While I adore the aesthetics, the mechanical design of this frame lock is a deal-killer for me. My normal grip puts a small amount of pressure on the lock bar, and this design is intolerant of this pressure. Unless I use a highly abnormal grip, I am simply unable to deploy the blade on this knife.

It's really apples to oranges. One is a premium EDC spin on a traditional design, the other is a self defense folder. The only thing they have in common is the wharncliffe blade. I imagine the hollow grind on the Slysz is nicer for utility, but the ergonomics appear (because I haven't actually held it) to be inferior to the curves on the Canis.

Swayback ergos are excellent in multiple grips - for me at least. No problem as described above- again, for me. Lovely knife and as sharp as anything I’ve ever received from a factory (and many/most customs).
Cheers!

Back