Petey's Family Portraits

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
I've lurked here for years and bought from Cold Steel since the late 80's-- the Large Shinobu replaced a lost ClipMate Shinobu I paid $75 dollars for which was half my paycheck at the time. I bought my then girlfriend <now wife> the tiny unlaminated version which she still has in her purse. Fit and finish on those knives were something I was not used to since I had carried Case slipjoints up to that point. So I started pretty early on and was very impressed with the usability of that line.

So it's long overdue I post up a family pic of the CS folders I have that I haven't: lost, given away, had stolen <2>, or sold and traded.

Some might call me a "fan" of CS, but you'd have to say the same about my Spyderco and Busse habits, also. So I'd not consider myself strict "Cold Steel fanboy" material.

I'd term myself a "Knife Fan Boy" independent of brand loyalty-- I collect ergonomics, usefulness, uniqueness, quality, durability, and value.

I also have an original Bushman and 01 Gurka Kukri not in the family portrait...

On to the family:

2rCitox.jpg

The Big 'uns, + feelin a little Lucky ;) :

0u7sri7.jpg

Very nice!:thumbup:

whats the one on the top pic to the right of the san mai folder? the green micarta looking one.

OK, Petey, first things first: Awesome collection! Thank you for sharing it with us. I've never seen a more complete conglomeration of AK-47s.

Now to the questions, because you've stumped me in a couple of areas!

1) Are those Spartans different sizes, or is the camera angle playing tricks with the perspective?

2) When did the AK-47 feature the solid, pointed pommel without holes? Was that first generation?

3) What is that tanto-bladed folder (Voyager?) just above the Spartan on the lower right in the second photo? It's flat ground, has no opening stud (or visible opening mechanism at all), and has a unique point grind. I've never seen a Voyager with that blade before.

Thanks again for the great pictures!

-Steve

Good eye Steve! Wondered if anyone was gonna take note of the oddballs. ;)

Conglomeration is a good word :eek:, thanks for being so considerate.

I've sniped those old Ultra Lock AK's from everywhere for a few years now...when I get one that's scuffed up, chipped blade, broken tip, etc. then I just take a couple afternoons and refurbish it. For instance that nekkid Aluminum AK was in bad shape <looks wise> and the blade was chipped out so much it looked serrated. Showed it some TLC and massaged her into one of my favorite blades. Some of them are new condition and people just want to off load them. It's amazing how low some of them go for it you're vigilant and patient. It really is a buyer's market on the older CS AUS8 stuff. And I agree with most here, CS's 8A is really good, heck it's a great value for the $$$$. :thumbup:

1. Identical Spartans, just poor camera skills & bad lighting.

2. They never did. Those are aftermarket steel "tactical" pommels. A guy had a little business selling them and he was closing them out and gave me a deal on a batch. Pretty nice upgrade.

3. It is a Voyager with a custom M390 blade.

Last edited:
Petey, thanks for all the great information! Your modifications to the stock knives have made them quite beautiful and unique! I'm actually surprised to learn that there are folks out there creating replacement parts for Cold Steel knives. I would have figured Cold Steel to be too low-end for the modification enthusiasts. I'm glad to see that's not the case.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and your collection!

-Steve

No problem...my pleasure

But I'd never use "low end" and Cold Steel in the same sentence....

Take that Shinobu that I paid $75 for almost 3 decades ago...that was some expensive steel back then and I can't remember how long I cut with it before I even touched it up on an old Crock Stick rig. I was astounded at how long that steel stayed work sharp. I was used to Case carbon steel & Boker Solingen steel-- good stuff in it's own right, but no match for that VG1 in my usage.

It'll stand up to most any production folder today for EDC performance also. I know cause I use it occasionally it as my EDC next to s110v Manix & m390 Millie. And the F&F and tolerances are better than most modern era folders today, too.

Cold Steel makes some cheap <in terms of cash outlay for the ELU> models, but they don't make them cheap <in terms of quality>...that Mini Tuff-Lite is an outstanding little utility knife for under $30, I've probably cut a mile of cardboard with it, literally. It got so scratched up from the cardboard and dozen or so sharpenings, with one reprofile, that I chose it to become my first attempt at acid & stonewashing cause it was looking so rugged I figured I coudn't mess up its looks any more. That's great quality for near Jarbenza $$$$.

And the way I feel right now about my 4-Max- I'd put it up against any folding knife <custom or production> IN THE WORLD FEATURE v. FEATURE, dollar for dollar. Andrew's already got PROOF of the lock strength!

Nice knives man, I really like that modified voyager. I would probably be considered a Cold Steel fanboy to some people on these forums, they are my favorite brand along with Spyderco. I am definitely a CS XL fanboy, no doubt. No one else does large folders that are also functional with a lock so strong that it is very close to being able to carry around a folding fixed blade. Actually just picked up a Rajah 2, a beast among beasts for sure!

But I'd never use "low end" and Cold Steel in the same sentence....

Just to be clear, I don't consider Cold Steel "low end" in the least! I think they make some of the best knives available, and I too am a knife guy who likes knives of every stripe, so I say that without bias (even though Cold Steel is one of my favorite brands). And, as oxman198 suggested, when it comes to large knives, Cold Steel is without peer.

I was merely suggesting that the majority of folks on these boards who like to "upgrade" their knives with aftermarket modifications seem to prefer the more boutique brands with which to do so. I'm glad to see that I'm wrong and there are people out there supplying Cold Steel modification parts, as well.

It'll stand up to most any production folder today for EDC performance also. I know cause I use it occasionally it as my EDC next to s110v Manix & m390 Millie. And the F&F and tolerances are better than most modern era folders today, too.

Completely agree. I think those Shinobus and Clip Mates rank among Cold Steel's finest designs--thin, light, very robust. They were way ahead of their time.

And the way I feel right now about my 4-Max- I'd put it up against any folding knife <custom or production> IN THE WORLD FEATURE v. FEATURE, dollar for dollar. Andrew's already got PROOF of the lock strength!

Well, I don't have one, but I completely agree with you just based on what I've seen of the knife so far. I anticipate that it's going to be one of my favorite knives...and I haven't even held one yet! I think it will set new standards, even for Cold Steel.

How does the 4-MAX compare with your AD-10 in terms of fit and finish?

-Steve

How does the 4-MAX compare with your AD-10 in terms of fit and finish?

-Steve

no worries on the "L E" comment :), just wanted you to confirm what I thought you meant, oftentimes subtle meanings get lost when you type stuff. :eek:

In terms of F & F in comparison to AD10...damn near identical...action with deployment and unlocking buttery smooth and NO SLOP in any direction at any point in the arc...the 4 Max has radiused edges on almost every 90 deg edge, the AD10 is more angular <not a bad thing BTW>, and of course the 4 Max is stonewashed whereas the AD10 is satin. :thumbup:

Back